new to COMSCC drivers.

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

new to COMSCC drivers.

Post by 962porsche » Thu May 25, 2023 7:23 am

so I have had a few people asking us at Rush R track car rentals about running with COMSCC as we have listed COMSCC as one of the main clubs/groups we will rent our cars out to run with.
me not haven run with com in some years I'm guessing no matter who it is if com hasn't signed you off to solo your running in the novice group even if you have experience running with other clubs.

so my question is with a single seat car and cosmic needing to do at least a check out run to sign off a new driver with com how do you deal with this?

we at this time are not renting our cars out to novice drivers.
I have done lots of lead shadow instructing and have no problems doing it but an earlier post I did it seamed lots of push back about people instructing in lead shadow.

beatus
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: new to COMSCC drivers.

Post by beatus » Thu May 25, 2023 9:25 am

We've done lead follow for situations like this in the past. It may make sense for the student to check with the chief instructor via email before registering chiefinstructor@comscc.org

You may want to send an email to rules@comscc.org to request they be classified too if they're running two day events.
Brandon Ganem
#005 Mazda RX8

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Thu May 25, 2023 9:38 am

I gave the cars specs to Andrew with hopes to at least to get the cars classed with cosmic for this coming event.
I was thinking I may do the 2nd day at palmer with com next week but we will not be getting the cars to the dyno until after that event so I decided not to sign up to do the 2nd day as the cars are not classes.

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Thu May 25, 2023 11:10 am

Dave - a consideration... You can always run the cars in SA or SU without a dyno. There are no power or weight restrictions in either class for closed wheel cars.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed May 31, 2023 6:28 am

the rush SR's seams to be classed in SA by the NO dyno classing sheet.
looks like for SA it doesn't matter about what tires you run so I'm not sure about running the rush SR spec series 100 TW Nankang AR1's tires.
Margarita ( the wife ) and I are thinking of offering and option of hoosiers to our renters for a added costs to cover the higher price of the hoosiers and the shorter life out of them. this really could start getting costly as would we only offer dry weather hoosiers or would we also offer wets too?

Stamanti
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by Stamanti » Wed May 31, 2023 8:40 am

So the power to weight cutoff for Super A is not accurate? This is from the 2023 Super Class Calculation spreadsheet.

2022 CLASS Corrected Power/Weight cut-offs
MIN MAX CLASS
0 5.999 SUPER UNLIMITED
6 8.799 SUPER A

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Wed May 31, 2023 2:14 pm

Those power cutoffs are for open wheel/formula cars. Cars with fenders can always run in SA with no power/weight limit. I believe the rulebook has a disclaimer that if a closed wheel car is deemed "too damn fast" stewards can bump it to U, but they all officially default to A unless manually adjusted.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:26 am

I hate to say this but it sounds more like SA is a catchall class.
where should the car run ? not sure so SA and if it's to fast then we will stick it into SU.

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:42 am

962porsche wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:26 am
I hate to say this but it sounds more like SA is a catchall class.
where should the car run ? not sure so SA and if it's to fast then we will stick it into SU.
Dave - exactly correct. Here's the excerpt from the rulebook:

"The intent is that any non-formula car can run in Super A;. Super Unlimited is reserved for 2 types of cars: 1) Formula cars better than 6.0 Power/Weight, and 2) non-formula cars booted to Super Unlimited by the team of stewards, because they are just too damn fast."

You're welcome to run in either SA or SU with no need to dyno in either class (provided the safety equipment is all in-line with the Super reqs, of course). If the laptimes are that crazy, the stewards could always bump to SU but probably premature without having seen them driven in anger at our local tracks.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (125.5 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:33 pm

for what the cars are they are pretty quick are they some kind of monster running the rush spec series 100TW tires NO!
I only drove one rush car at palmer and it was a customers car that he was saying it didn't want to rev over 8K durning the test day it had no problem raving and popping it off the rev limiter.
but the car did have a massive and I mean massive amount of understeer he didn't tell me about.
so in one of his off tracks he bent something.
I'm not going to say what my times were at palmer as they are way off from what the car should be doing.