Rules for 2013

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Rules for 2013

Post by brucesallen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Shortly the membership will be asked to vote on the 2013 rules package. As it now stands, all SP classes and Prepared classes remain. Touring classes are added and there are no Super classes for 2013.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

KKennedy717
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by KKennedy717 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Are the version 1.2 proposed 2013 rules available on the COM Website? They were targeted for publishing on 12/4/12. If they are available can someone publish a link or state under what heading/subheading/tab they are located on the website. Thanks.
06 Mazda MX-5 #17

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 pm

This is the latest I found..looks like it's only 1.1 --> http://comscc.org/rules/2013-proposal/
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm

breakaway500 wrote:If the new proposed rules are fully implemented,my Atom will be classed with formula race cars,where it does not stand a snowballs chance in Hell of being competitive.
How's that snowball hold up when Wm. Washburn brings his 800HP PB car to the track!?! :lol:
breakaway500 wrote:Power to weight and how a car "looks" (open wheel,two seater) might be fine to class vehicles for drag racing,but not road racing.
Aren't Grand-Am, World Challenge, and ALMS' GT classes power-to-weight series?
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

"Aren't Grand-Am, World Challenge, and ALMS' GT classes power-to-weight series?" Yes,they must meet a specified power to weight window,and then add/subtract ballast to be in compliance..but c'mon...you know what I mean... :wink: There is a LOT more to a cars overall track prowess that can not be shown by mere power/weight numbers. Take a spec Miata for example. They can shame cars with much better power to weight ratings.
When WW shows up,all you can hope for is a dnf. (no offense,Bill.. 8) )

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 pm

breakaway500 wrote:"Aren't Grand-Am, World Challenge, and ALMS' GT classes power-to-weight series?" Yes,they must meet a particular power to weight specification window,and then add/subtract ballast to be in compliance..but c'mon...you know what I mean... :wink: )
I'm just a fan of watching (and running) cars that are matched up with reasonably equivalent cars, and P2W looks to me like the best way to come close to having that happen. PB as it is now is one wild class if you consider all the cars that slot there - I mean, what on earth are <200HP cars doing in PB? I understand that some cars wouldn't fare so well after the proposed rule change, and the club is going to be responsive to the concerns of its members. In my case, under the proposed rules, my car would have been in Super B with a corrected weight/power of 11.72 when the class limit is 8.5. Or, if Super C came into being, I could add 150# and run at 12.7, close to its limit of 12.5. So, yeah, I'd have a lot more flexibility than you would to find a competitive home under the proposed rule change; no Super C, however, and it would be tough noogies. I'd still vote for the change - and then maybe go over to the dark side & get a Miata.
breakaway500 wrote:There is a LOT more to a cars overall track prowess that can not be shown by mere power/weight numbers. Take a spec Miata for example. They can shame cars with much better power to weight ratings.
Generally, don't you think this is a nut-behind-the-wheel issue? There seems to be a significant difference out there in who's getting the most out of their car & who isn't. Some members really make their cars dance.
breakaway500 wrote:When WW shows up,all you can hope for is a dnf. (no offense,Bill.. 8) )
No kidding. Wonder if the PA drivers would take him? :lol:
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 pm

The nut behind the wheel is of course a very important factor in vehicle performance...but those spec Miatas really do fly,considering their power/weight. Maybe Miata drivers are just extra nutty... :shock: ... :lol: :sunny:

I really like Prepared because of the lack of rules...and I actually like Bills beast..and someday,I may even build something that could catch it... :twisted:

It is interesting to know the Atom could run in the proposed Touring points classification system..but in all honesty, if the club does do the full changeover, I'd just run in SU and stfu. 8)
Last edited by breakaway500 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm

PA --- I'll run WW anytime, think I managed to beat his track record for NHMS this year & if I run the Glen w/ the big motor I just might be able to manage it there too ....

FYI -- those boy classes are power to weight, but they add weight & restrictors to eliminate any competative advantage .... the thing is they have the ability to react were as I don't think COM has the same ability .......

New rules, not for me .... the mess you see created in Super simply highlights the same issues that will arise in the T classes the way I see it anyway ....

The nut behind the wheel should be the reality factor, expecting some to rise to the level of others doesn't always work so those may just get left behind ..... oh well .....
Last edited by McMahonRacing on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

blazer178
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by blazer178 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Pat you are right you did beat him at NHMS.Mark you are also right too and I really do not want to see the rules in P to change but I understand what Pat and Mario are saying and I think for the most part we are here too have an enjoyable time and not worrie about the rules at least for me any way.I run in P because it is simpler for me to fit there as for the compition I love it even if I am not comptive.It was because of the people that I run with not who I can beat.Pat you and your dad will be greatly missed but I understand why you are going and hope the best for you and your dad.Now I understand change is good and it can be hard to make heads or tails of it all but I am hoping things work out for the best for all of us................ Just my 2 cents

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 pm

breakaway500 wrote:The nut behind the wheel is of course a very important factor in vehicle performance...but those spec Miatas really do fly,considering their power/weight. Maybe Miata drivers are just extra nutty... :shock: ... :lol: :sunny:

I really like Prepared because of the lack of rules...and I actually like Bills beast..and someday,I may even build something that could catch it... :twisted:

It is interesting to know the Atom could run in the proposed Touring points classification system..but in all honesty, if the club does do the full changeover, I'd just run in SU and stfu. 8)
Mark, have you classed the MazdaSpeed Miata in touring? I bet it comes out pretty good, well, that is if you remove the 18" wide steamrollers. ;)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

horizenjob
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by horizenjob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 pm

.but those spec Miatas really do fly,considering their power/weight.
It's a great thing when classes produce well matched cars. When I raced in Showroom stock and then in Club Ford ( old formula fords ) it really caused you to look to yourself as the biggest variable. You just have to try harder. I'm not sure it's the case so much anymore, but you used to get exposed to faster drivers from SCCA in those classes who used to come to COM events for practice. Getting behind them and trying to keep up was a great learning situation for me on many occasions.

That's a downside for classes that encourage you to spend money. It's best to look to yourself to keep getting better because that's where the real enjoyment and satisfaction come from. I hope these new classes can do that instead of just causing people to sink money in to their cars. Perhaps they will help cap the costs...
Marcus Barrow - Car9, an open design community supported sports car for home builders.
Car9 Roadster information - models, drawings, resources etc.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 am

The great irony here is that "competition" is precisely what encourages people to spend money. That has been my experience racing showroom stock and spec classes. Competitive drivers spend money to gain an edge and the more competitive the class, the greater the cost per incremental advantage. Of course some of us pour $$$ into our cars because we suffer from a hopeless condition of upgraditis.

Jimmy Pet
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by Jimmy Pet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:43 am

...Or, some of us are hopeless tinkerers..

Thanks to COM for not changing Prepared for 2013,,, and hopefully beyond so its never necessary to ever think about what mods, tinker, adjustment is going to do to a Prepared cars class.
Jimmy P
#98 BMW E30M3 - PC

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 am

^ Agreed! In all honesty, I really really really enjoy trying out different things on my cars to see what works and what doesn't. Every time I bring a car back to a track,I am hoping to lower my last lap time there,even if it is only by a tenth of a second. That is my goal. For me,rules are restrictions,and the only ones I really give a damn about are the safety related ones.