Rules for 2013

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Rules for 2013

Post by nateh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm

The Board of Directors has voted to proceed with developing a points-based classification system with the goal of rolling out the new system for the 2013 season. A complete rules proposal was submitted by Peter McParland, Paddy McParland, and Nick Fontana at the September BOD meeting.

The following explanation is from Nick:

The new points-based system was proposed because of a growing desire among some COMSCC members to modernize the COMSCC rule book. While the current rule set has worked well for the club in years past, modern technology and the loss of "intent" of some classes has lessened competition. With 17 total classes and large gaps of performance potential within some classes, the authors felt it was time for a change.

Simply, the new system totally replaces the current classification system with 10 new classes. 7 Touring class (T40, T50, T60, T70, T80, T90, and T100) are meant for production vehicles and some kit cars and race cars. Cars receive a "base class" where points are assigned to each vehicle. Base class points are derived from a combination of weight/power ratio (including both horsepower and torque) and a "handling" adjustment that accounts for suspension, drive train layout, weight distribution, and other non-power/weight related performance characteristics - this adjustment is based on a similar system used by CASC, a national-level sports car club in Canada (essentially the NASA or SCCA of Canada). Competitors can then take points for modifications that work best for their car and driving style. Points for each modification generally reflect the potential performance gained, similar to NASA Time Trial classing. The total of the base class and modification points determines the class (e.g. 79 total points would result in a classification of T80). You may have a highly modified car with a lower base class (like a Miata) competing against a relatively stock modern sports car (like a Corvette). 3 Super classes (Super B, Super A, and Super Unlimited) allow unlimited modifications and are entirely determined by a corrected weight/power ratio. Highly modified street cars and race cars will compete in Super classes.

The upcoming NHMS-4 event will be used to pilot the new system. An electronic copy of the draft new rules will be sent out prior to the event. During the event Pete, Paddy, and Nick along with BOD members will help answer questions about the new system and help to classify cars. At the end of the Time Trial, we will announce both the official event results as well as "mock results" based on the proposed new rules. If received well by the membership, the proposed set of rules will be the baseline for all proposed rule changes for the 2013 season so there will be some time to incorporate member feedback and adjust points values within the new system.

Note - the official event results and 2012 season standings will still be based on the existing rules. Cars must be classified and meet all safety requirements according to the 2012 rules.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Rules for 2013

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 am

Just curious ..... exactly how are we going to get this right ..... seems to me like it is pretty heavyily loaded on the trust factor ?

" weight/power ratio "

Are we going to have a certified "Dyno" as we do w/ NASA (dyno #'s & weight decaled to ea car ) ?
Who pays for "protests" regarding hp/weight ?

" base class assignment "
" handling adjustment "
" layout adjustment "

How are "kit" / "custom" cars able to be classified as there really is no baseline for them ... it is an issue w/ SCCA & NASA as well ?
Are we now going to require " balance sheets " to be supplied ?
Are we going to have a yearly certified tech inspection for class above and beyond the event tech. for safety ?

Understand once the kinks are worked out it should be pretty good, as NASA has run a similar system, just be aware that it will leave a few folks out in the cold w/no way to be competative ( ex: an aerdynamic brick ( Cobra ... ie: very quick @ NHMS, much much slower @ WGI w/ the straights ) regardless of hp/weight/aero mods still has no chance of being competative when classed by SCCA as SPO or NASA as ST1/SU/TTU ).
Last edited by McMahonRacing on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Chrispy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am

I believe the "handling" modifier is supposed to take into account things like stock aerodynamics, weight balance, center of gravity, suspension and things like that so aerodynamic bricks do get cut some slack. The initial base points are calculated from crank hp/torque and weight for all production vehicles and then the handling modifier applied. The handling modifier can be either positive or negative. Kit cars are a bit of a special case and I believe there is a formula to assist the scrutineers with those.
Chris Parsons
#22 - 95 Miata

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am

It all sounds very good, but the reality is a bit dicey w/o real #'s ...... my only intention is here just to promote "thought".

Would really like to hear the "proposed solutions" to the questions for COM.

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

I'm all for change! spread sheet me!
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am

Don't have too ..... "open wheel car" right, probabally still goes direct to FP/SU ? so you would get to run against Bruce & Mark & Johnathan & Dan & ? ....

Just don't want to leave folks out by making them non-competative, just because they say "drive the worng vechile" for the points system vs their skill level or drive ( their desire to push the limits ) .... simply put you may have a ton of car that simply just doesn't drive as fast as the points think it should, you are right back in the same old formate w/ simply a new title to it ....

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:22 am

valid concern, however, that is going to happen in almost any classing system, my car for instance would never be competitive with true open wheel cars but it's not a purpose built road course car....so it goes...I think the intent is right on as some of the the ST classes have gone FAR away from the original intent of the rules...the biggest issue I can see is policing power/weight of modified cars.
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 am

Class by actual lap times... :shock:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by kfoote » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

breakaway500 wrote:Class by actual lap times... :shock:
Trust me, this is not a good idea. The primary issues:

1. How do you classify a new car?
2. What track do you base the lap times at? (SCCA currently has a major issue with this, as the Runoffs are at an oddball track that very heavily favors power compared to most other tracks)
3. How do you deal with someone that regularly drives a car that is relatively rare, but is much slower than the car really is, and how do you determine whether or not the car is slower than it should be?
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

^Use the two morning practice sessions on TT day to acrue lap times for everyone and then form run classes based on those times for that event. Naah..never work... :wink: There really is no "fair" way to class so many differet cars and have everyone competitive.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 am

breakaway500 wrote:^Use the two morning practice sessions on TT day to acrue lap times for everyone and then form run classes based on those times for that event. Naah..never work... :wink: There really is no "fair" way to class so many differet cars and have everyone competitive.
I can see it now. Everyone driving around the track at 45mph for their classification laps.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

^That's ok...when they win their class by 8 seconds..sandbagger! :lol: It would be nice to have some sort of actual lap time performance based classification system; that way anyone at any skill level,with any car would have close competition. Pie in the sky I suppose...

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 am

We are very grateful for the extensive work that went into this complete new rules proposal book. It has been done very early in the rules change season. This means that the Board has a chance to apply the new rules in parallel to existing rules in the time trials on October 14. Entrants will be surveyed and data entered to spread sheets and a parallel set of results will be posted. Thus we can see how well the various numbers and fudge factors are and make alterations. Also formal rule proposals will be accepted by the board during the Board meeting sin October and November.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 am

By lap times can work, classing by points can work ..... esp. if we work at it ... just like playing w/ the lap time system @ WGI & NHMS 4, the first round can tell us much ... it is all good, we just need to be aware of the folks ( prob. very few ) that can & will be left out in the cold.

I personally favor "times" and allowing a drop or two ( might ease the variance w/ a high hp track vs a handling track ) or maybe scale the "away" tracks differently than the home track.

The points system can work as well, if we can find a way to adjust those cars that feel they are out classed by paying close attention to "time variance" by driver .... putting it simply says that we cannot base car / competition class on the car alone as it is done now in say the NASA formate.

We just need to find a place to let the every "driver" be & feel competative regardless of what they drive so that we can keep folks around longer.

Policing this is another thing all together, don't even want to go there :( .... even NASA has scales & dyno's at events to pass competitors thru to verify their posted data .....
Last edited by McMahonRacing on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wizzman
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by wizzman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 am

Pete, Paddy and Nick put alot of time and effort into this proposal. Nice work guys. I think it is a very good system on paper and I will be very curious to see how the mock-results sort out at NHMS4. While no system is perfect I think this new system opens the door for improving the competition factor with our club. The high level of skill and competition in ST4 is the main reason I have gotten so hooked on running with COM. I think it would be great to see this level of participation and competition in more classes. Besides tires and skill, competition is the next best factor in making you faster. Trying to chase that guy down who is just a little faster than you, or having someone nip at your heels is what makes it all that much more fun.
-Dave W.

1994 Mazda Miata T50 #56