Pucker up! We're going to MOSPORT!

Any and all discussions concerning events.
eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Pucker up! We're going to MOSPORT!

Post by eastcoastbumps » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 pm

dradernh wrote: In response to a question, Mario also said he didn't notice any bump in T2. My recollection is that there's a bump just over the crest of T2 that, if you're fiddling with your line as you cross over it at speed, might well make for a very exciting end to your day.
I don't remember a bump in T2. I do know that the car seems to squirm if you have a tire running down the seam in the pavement near the bottom of the hill in T2.
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm

It's more of a slight 'yump' around the 1st apex. Depends on the car, and the actual line through the turn but not that big a deal.
What 'is' nice however is how they've repaved T10. It's nice and smooth and no longer has the rough transition onto concrete
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 am

mr2sc wrote:It's more of a slight 'yump' around the 1st apex. Depends on the car, and the actual line through the turn but not that big a deal.
What 'is' nice however is how they've repaved T10. It's nice and smooth and no longer has the rough transition onto concrete

Hi Tommy:
You bring some interest news to ... (me?). T-10 was always "tricky" because of the rough pavement, need to come fast onto the straight, decreasing radius (a bit) to the straight and winding up always in that little piece of pavement when tracking out than always provided "hairy" moments. So what exactly have they done there?
Did these improments made the tack faster or just "safer" to negotiate that turn?

Next question: planning on going? Never mind, I saw you on the roster! 8) Note I will be driving a "U-boat" ... the Alfa has been sold ...
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Stephan,
They've paved over the first part only (till before the apex), eliminating the impact caused by hitting the concrete. It’s much kinder to the car. They’ve also added some small asphalt patches outside the exit kerbing at T10, as well as T1 (particularly welcome there, as the asphalt depression at track-out can be a bit unsettling)

So, “is it safer?” I suppose the answer 'can be' yes. I’ve seen more than one car go wide in these spots and then get turned across the track into the inside wall.
But, if you now start regularly using the little asphalt patches as part of your line and tracking out onto them, then I suppose not.
In my case, I now feel comfortable using the kerbing at T10, but still try to stay off it at T1.

Overall, when I was there, grip level seemed lower than usual (after a race weekend), but besides the nice new entrance tunnel the only noteworthy additions are new pedestrian bridges over the top of T2 (turn in for me) and the top of the back straight (lift-off for me). So, these new, very obvious reference points can be helpful I suppose.

Here are a few 'pace laps' (by COM standards) from 2 weeks ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SC3aiK08jk&feature=plcp

Looking forward to seeing y’all again :)
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Tommy,
No long shirts for you!
Those Porsches should move over for you. Is it mandatory to have terrible lines if you drive a Porsche? And where they brake!
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 pm

brucesallen wrote:Is it mandatory to have terrible lines if you drive a Porsche?
No.

...although a good body of evidence would suggest: "yes"
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

brucesallen wrote:Tommy,
No long shirts for you!
Those Porsches should move over for you. Is it mandatory to have terrible lines if you drive a Porsche? And where they brake!
well, as long as its 'their' lines and braking that are terrible, I guess I'm kinda ok :roll:
BTW, I just watched it again and around 6:05 can see the Mustang ahead of me bobble over the little dip/yump/bump in T2 that that was mentioned earlier. Its really nothing much, at my pace anyway
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 pm

are garage spots available at mosport?
rebecca

dradernh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dradernh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 pm

n1gzd wrote:are garage spots available at mosport?
rebecca
Mosport has no garages.
'95 M3 LTW #283 SB

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:54 am

Is anyone carpooling from Boston area? The fellow crack...err, track...addicts I usually run with won't be coming, so ideally I'd like to pair up with some other folks for the long drive. Otherwise...

Also, where is everyone staying? Anyone need a roommate? Last year I think I stayed at the Holiday Inn Clarington/Bowmanville and it was pretty nice, but I'm open for anything.
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am

blindsidefive0 wrote:Is anyone carpooling from Boston area? The fellow crack...err, track...addicts I usually run with won't be coming, so ideally I'd like to pair up with some other folks for the long drive. Otherwise...

Also, where is everyone staying? Anyone need a roommate? Last year I think I stayed at the Holiday Inn Clarington/Bowmanville and it was pretty nice, but I'm open for anything.
Hi Nick:
1) Pooling: Depending if you are driving or towing - I am driving, could hook up by a spot on the Mass Pike;
2) Pooling: also depends if I go a day earlier and break the trip in half by stopping over in Montreal to visit friends
3) Hotel: I was thinking about camp or hotel. Both have pros and cons (rain on one hand, extra gear in car, having to get gas) but I am game on sharing a room if I can arrange a ride to the hotel so I dont have to swap tires). And yes, I believe many will stay at the HI-Express which is better.
Let me know via pm but send me details on your travel dates and plans.

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 am

Does mosport have showers?
Rebecca

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:18 am

n1gzd wrote:Does mosport have showers?
Rebecca
yes. Good.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am

^ Beware..they also have a "bad" shower. Back in '08 I was directed to the infield shower stalls. Not fit for a horse! First time in memory I decided not to take a shower after a long day. I found the good showers in the morning.. :lol: (my pre truck camper days.. :wink: )
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:21 pm

breakaway500 wrote:^ Beware..they also have a "bad" shower. Back in '08 I was directed to the infield shower stalls. Not fit for a horse! First time in memory I decided not to take a shower after a long day. I found the good showers in the morning.. :lol: (my pre truck camper days.. :wink: )
Mark, the showers are great ... not sure which one you used but you need to go on the infield and PASS the karting track then go UP the hill near the flagger post of T-2/3. Hot water, wide stalls, benches, good lighitng, etc.