My First COMSCC Event

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: My First COMSCC Event

Post by Dave_G » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

onefastgokart wrote:The tires I have are 205/40-18. Stock recommended Tire Pressure is 38 PSI. I've heard that I should raise the Tire Pressure 4 - 6 PSI. How much PSI should I be running in the Front and how much in the Rear?
The tire pressure will depend on what kind of tires they are, and what kind of car you have. As I have little experience on track with MINIs in particular or FWD cars in general, I'll let someone else handle recommendations for a recommended pressure.

However, you should be aware that in a typical 20-minute track session, your tire pressures will increase by about 5-6 psi over what you set them at cold. Since most of your laps will be on hot tires, what matters most is the hot pressure. For my tires on my car, I aim for 40 psi hot pressure, so in the morning I will set them to 35 psi. Then at the end of the first session I check them as soon as I come off the track, before they have had a chance to cool, and adjust them so they're all at 40. I'll do the same at the end of each session, adjusting them so they're all at 40. Usually as long as the weather doesn't change drastically, the second and later adjustments are pretty small. When they cool down, they will end up with different pressures, but that's OK, because when they heat up again, they will equalize back out.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Hot-Lap Ride-Along, a.k.a. HLRA.

HLRA's are a way for non-participants to get a taste of a track day. For the price of annual membership ($35), a HLRA participant is welcome to get into an instructor's passenger seat for some "hot laps". We are actually doing the HLRA's during the normal run sessions, with other cars on track (hence the "Hot Lap"). Originally we planned to do these during lunch, but found that during the day was more fun, a better use of time, and gave a better feel for the event. When available, we try to give participants a choice of cars. Our instructors drive a wide variety of vehicles, from street cars to full race cars, so we have something for everyone. :)

We welcome HLRA's to sit through a classroom session and make themselves at home during the event.

Why do we "charge" $35? That covers the HLRA participant's annual membership, which is included in the price. Our insurance requires that anyone on-track, at any time and in any capacity, be a member of the club.

We prefer HLRA participants to signup online and in advance, but gladly welcome signups at the track too (if it is early enough in the day).

We hosted 10-12 HLRA's at our NHMS event earlier this week.

As for a hot-lap TIMER, I think you have a good plan. See if the track life is for you (and with that car, how could it not?!?!) before spending any money. You'll be too busy learning the line, driving techniques, paying attention to flags, and filtering your instructor to be watching lap times at your first event!

- Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 pm

onefastgokart wrote: Question about tire pressure...

The tires I have are 205/40-18. Stock recommended Tire Pressure is 38 PSI. I've heard that I should raise the Tire Pressure 4 - 6 PSI. How much PSI should I be running in the Front and how much in the Rear?

Adam
Are the tires runflats? Regardless- I think the theory of raising tire pressures 4-6 psi over stock is aimed more toward the typical street car with 32 psi. There are many who use the 40 psi hot method to dial in the pressures. I have always used tire temperatures- but for your first event this procedure is probably more of a distraction than necessary. I would start with the 38 psi and keep the front to rear ratio similar to stock- ie. if it calls for 38 front and 36 rear- make your changes with this split in mind. If you make changes- do them in 1-2 psi steps- any larger changes will dramatically change the handling of the car at it's limits- maybe for the better- but be aware of the potential changes.

Have fun.

-Scott
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:58 am

WillM wrote:Hot-Lap Ride-Along, a.k.a. HLRA.

As for a hot-lap TIMER, I think you have a good plan. See if the track life is for you (and with that car, how could it not?!?!) before spending any money. You'll be too busy learning the line, driving techniques, paying attention to flags, and filtering your instructor to be watching lap times at your first event!

- Will
Would a Racelogic Performance VBOX work as a Hot-Lap Timer? I own a Performance VBOX, which is able to do Lap Timing but I don't think it's the same as a Hot-Lap Timer. I'm going to bring the Performance VBOX with me to the Event anyways because what I can also do is, Time my Laps using the Performance VBOX and record the data to a SD Card, and I'll be video recording my track time with a GO PRO Camera, then when I get home, I'll use a program called TrackVision, and what that does is takes the data, such as MPH and Lap Times from the Performance VBOX, and takes the Video from the GO PRO Camera and in the end, I'll have a video which I can post on YouTube and on the video, it will show what my speed is and my lap times are.

------
offcamber09 wrote:
Are the tires runflats? Regardless- I think the theory of raising tire pressures 4-6 psi over stock is aimed more toward the typical street car with 32 psi. There are many who use the 40 psi hot method to dial in the pressures. I have always used tire temperatures- but for your first event this procedure is probably more of a distraction than necessary. I would start with the 38 psi and keep the front to rear ratio similar to stock- ie. if it calls for 38 front and 36 rear- make your changes with this split in mind. If you make changes- do them in 1-2 psi steps- any larger changes will dramatically change the handling of the car at it's limits- maybe for the better- but be aware of the potential changes.

Have fun.

-Scott
The Tires are NON-RUN FLATS.

I decided to go with NON-Run Flats, mainly because I was getting sick of the Harsh Ride with the Run-Flats. Also, I did more searching about raising the tire pressure and have found that it more applies to Autocross Events, which would make more since. Autocross Racers usually raise their tire pressure 4-6 psi higher then the factory recommendation to prevent rubbing and other stuff.

-------------------

Another question regarding Wheels/Tires:

The Wheels you see in the Pic on my first Post are 16x7 O.Z. Superturismo WRC Wheels and the Tires I use on them are 195/55-16. The Wheels weigh 21.0 lbs. I have switched back to the Factory wheels which are, 18x7 and weigh 19.8 lbs. The tires I use on these wheels are 205/40-18.

I'm starting to wonder now if I should use the 16x7 O.Z. Superturismo WRC Wheels, instead of the Factory 18x7 Wheels. What would you guys suggest??

Last but not least...Brakes:

I plan on getting new Brake Pads for the Front and Rear before I hit the track, because I don't want to worry about brake failure.

I'm either going to use Hawk HP Plus, which is basically a Street Legal Track Pad used for Autocross and Track Driving Events. This Pad would allow me do my track sessions BUT also allow me to drive back home safely.

Another option would be Hawk HPS Performance Pads, which is a step down from the Hawk HP Plus Pads but they would still offer better braking. These are more for Street use.

Which Pads should I go with? Please note, there are not many Brake Pads out there for the John Cooper Works Brakes. I want a pad that is also Street Legal, not just for Track.

I'm also going to install a Front Brake Cooling Duct to help cool the brakes.

Adam
2006 MINI COOPER S JCW GP #0220 of 2000

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:50 am

onefastgokart wrote:I'm starting to wonder now if I should use the 16x7 O.Z. Superturismo WRC Wheels, instead of the Factory 18x7 Wheels. What would you guys suggest??
I would base that decision on what tires are on the wheels, rather than the wheels themselves. What kind of tires are they?
Which Pads should I go with? Please note, there are not many Brake Pads out there for the John Cooper Works Brakes. I want a pad that is also Street Legal, not just for Track
Of the two that you mentioned, I would choose the Hawk HP+. I haven't personally used either pad, but the reports I have read from others are overwhelmingly in favor of the HP+ over the HPS on the track.

While you're considering brakes, don't forget the brake fluid. Over time, brake fluid absorbs water from the air, so old brake fluid will be more likely to boil under heavy use, resulting in spongy brakes on the track. If you haven't flushed your brake fluid within the past few months, now is a good time to do it. Use a good DOT 4 fluid with a high boiling point. (Do NOT use DOT 5, which is silicon-based.)

Track driving is hardest on tires and brakes, so it's good that you're thinking of them!
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 am

From the Showroom Stock rules:

WHEELS AND TIRES
1. Any type wheel may be used provided wheel size (width and diameter) remain stock. Wheel offset may be +/- 5mm from
stock. Cars delivered with 12 inch wheels may use aftermarket 13 inch wheels with a maximum width of 5 inches that fit
within stock fenders. Cars delivered with wheels greater than 17 inches in diameter may use wheels that are 17 inches or
greater in diameter, provided they are not larger than the stock diameter and width.

You cannot use the 16" rims in Showroom Stock. The stock 18's or some 17's will be your choice.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:40 am

Okay so it looks like I'll be ordering Hawk HP+ Pads for Front and Rear. I'll install a Brake Cooling System for the Front Brakes. I'll also be sure to put in better Brake Fluid.

I must of missed that rule when I was looking at the Rule Book. Thanks for posting it. Since that's the case, I'll stick with the 18" wheels.

Adam

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:09 pm

onefastgokart wrote:Okay so it looks like I'll be ordering Hawk HP+ Pads for Front and Rear. I'll install a Brake Cooling System for the Front Brakes.
A quick read of the rules doesn't mention that brake ducts are allowed in SS. They are in ST.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:15 pm

You are correct Jeff, brake cooling ducts not allowed in SS.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by timmmy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Adam,

Did you used to run the VW with NEQ? your user name looks familiar.

Welcome to COM, you will love it. COMSCC is so much more than an HPDE experience, the competitive element takes things to another level.

I am chiming in on the insurance element, certainly there is no harm in asking your insurance company about whether your policy covers you for HPDE training. Having said that COMSCC is a time trial competition club, as such your insurance may not like it. This is why a lot of other clubs such as BMW and Audi ban timing equipment of any kind.

Having said all of this, there are companies that offer day by day insurance policies for street cars used in HPDE events. I personally have never used the, however I believe the cost is similar to the cost of the track day i.e. $200-400/day dependent upon car value. Accidents happen sometimes and if you cannot in all honesty say "if I wreck my car, so be it, I lost it" then HPDE can be very nerve wracking.

we all go to the track with the understanding that what we do is intrinsically dangerous, however I feel more comfortable entering turn 1 at over 100mph than I do merging from I93S onto 128 S every morning!

God luck and I look forward to seeing you at a COM event soon.

Haydn (timmmy)
Haydn Taylor
www.motorsport-ht.com

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:46 am

timmmy wrote:Hi Adam,

Did you used to run the VW with NEQ? your user name looks familiar.

Haydn (timmmy)
Well, I used to own a 07 VW GTI which I traded-in for the MINI Cooper, but, I never ran any racing events with the VW.

This will be my first year on the track.

onefastgokart
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by onefastgokart » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:46 pm

HPDE INSURANCE:

I found out that Lockton Insurance offers HPDE Insurance. They'll cover COM Events. I'm a little confused though. The next COM event is a 3-Day Event, and on the Application for the HPDE Insurance is even mentions all 3 days. I got a quote which was $175.00, but, does that cover me for all 3 Days?? or just for ONE day?? Any info. on HPDE Insurance from Lockton would be appreciated.

I know I have to sign a Waiver form when I get to the Track. What am I signing?? Is it for Medical Reasons?

What happens if I were to accidently hit someone and cause that person to crash (Hopefully this will NOT happen) ..Could that person Sue me or is there a Waiver Form for that, too??

I'm just wondering about this stuff.

And, NO, I'm not Paranoid. I just like to know the facts and information about things.

Adam

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 pm

jeffw wrote:
onefastgokart wrote:Okay so it looks like I'll be ordering Hawk HP+ Pads for Front and Rear. I'll install a Brake Cooling System for the Front Brakes.
A quick read of the rules doesn't mention that brake ducts are allowed in SS. They are in ST.
Note that the class rules for brake ducts and other non-safety items only apply to the three laps of the time trial. You could have brake ducts for all the other sessions when your car gets much hotter and then remove them for the time trial.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

the people best equipped to answer your insurance questions would be the insurance company offering the policy. call them and ask them.

AtreusX
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by AtreusX » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 am

Its going to be my first event too. I signed for July 2nd. I just called that insurence: http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=3 The lady said that the price covers the whole event all 3 days. I got a quote of $115 after I filled in the application + taxes/fees. She says all colison is covered but not lets say a blown-engine. Although she said if the blown engine makes yoou hit the wall they will pay for the colission hehe

Does anyoen have any experience with them? Anyone have that insurence? I've never been on a track and don;t want to wreck and then be f***** :(