Shenandoah - a pleasant surprise!

Any and all discussions concerning events.
WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Shenandoah - a pleasant surprise!

Post by WillM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:35 pm

The event was great! Yes, we had tons of rain on Saturday, but I found both days amazingly fun. Sunday's weather was just about perfect!

The seemingly minor changes to the track added up to a much better experience than last year - at least as far as I am concerned.

Whatever the case, it was an awesome time. Same camaraderie as usual, which could have only been better if more members had been present. Thanks to all who offered help with my wheel bearing issues.

Congratulations to all that achieved new track records. Last year's records fell substantially! I still can't believe that Grippy was pulling off 1:58's in his Miata. :twisted:

Given the negative press and poor turnout, it seems that COM will probably not be heading to Shenandoah or the main circuit at Summit at all next year. What a shame. If you get an opportunity to run there with another club, take it and bring along some friends - they'll thank you later. :)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

timmmy
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Shenandoah - a pleasant surprise!

Post by timmmy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 pm

WillM wrote:The event was great! Yes, we had tons of rain on Saturday, but I found both days amazingly fun. Sunday's weather was just about perfect!

The seemingly minor changes to the track added up to a much better experience than last year - at least as far as I am concerned.

Whatever the case, it was an awesome time. Same camaraderie as usual, which could have only been better if more members had been present. Thanks to all who offered help with my wheel bearing issues.

Congratulations to all that achieved new track records. Last year's records fell substantially! I still can't believe that Grippy was pulling off 1:58's in his Miata. :twisted:

Given the negative press and poor turnout, it seems that COM will probably not be heading to Shenandoah or the main circuit at Summit at all next year. What a shame. If you get an opportunity to run there with another club, take it and bring along some friends - they'll thank you later. :)
Glad you had a good time Will and sorry I couldnt make it this year.

I had a great time there last year and liked the track a lot. If only they would bulldoze that stupid carousel and put in a real corner.

H

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Will loves the carousel.

I had a great time there too. I really love that track and look forward to going back. It's too bad it will have to be with another club.

I don't know what we have to do to convince people to come to these away events. Where else are you going to get 2 solid days of open track, ..and cats on leashes? (don't ask)

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:15 am

I really like the track and will be back there on the first weekend in May with the SVTOA. I'm sure the event organizer will be looking for instructors so if anyone here might want to go next season, just let me know and I can put you in touch with the right people.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Mick wrote:Where else are you going to get 2 solid days of open track, ..and cats on leashes? (don't ask)
Oh, come on - Kato was quite the hit with everyone!

I agree with Will's assessment, the track was much better this time. I'd still prefer the main track given the choice. Hope one of them gets back on the schedule.
-Keith-

SPB116

Seven

Post by Seven » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 am

Mick wrote: I don't know what we have to do to convince people to come to these away events. ...
Two words ... The Glen

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 am

The Glen is boring with all those long straights and nothing to do.

Shenandoah was a blast! Tight technical track that kept you busy and working every second. I think driving it in the rain the first day was the best, you HAD to find the right line and everyone was on the edge of adheision. When things got dry, everyone was flying. This track rewards finesse and patients (wait for it! now turn in) as almost every turn had a late apex. They also smoothed out the transitions to and from the carrousel which was a big improvement.

I had a great time and would go back for sure. We just needed more traffic.

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Grippy wrote:The Glen is boring with all those long straights and nothing to do.
Horsepower will solve that bordem problem you're having down the straights. :lol:

WGI is my favorite track as well. I had to run with PCA just to get a few days in this year at The Glen

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Not go back - WHAT?
That place was great! Karussel included.
MTCampbell - #13