Not a formula car, but not a sedan

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Not a formula car, but not a sedan

Post by SquidInk » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:56 pm

I have a sports racer. Pretty much like a SCCA Spec racer Ford. Enclosed body. No roof, SCCA/IMSA legal roll hoops. I want to run it in Super C based on what I think it has for power (160 at the crank).

Just want to be sure I won't get bumped to Super Unlimited with stuff like a Formula Atlantic. This car is nowhere near 1000 lbs. It's 1500lbs plus.
1994 Toyota World Sports Racer with EFI retrofit running in SC.
No power, but no weight.

Holder of two ancient class lap records purely by luck and technicalities. :D

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: Not a formula car, but not a sedan

Post by SandyClam » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:43 am

I'm not sure the flexibility on the sports racer classing, but you'll be real close to Super B with that power to weight. At 3200lbs I am limited to about 250whp to stay in Super C.

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:20 pm

As the Clam (did someone say 2019 "Instructor of the Year"??) mentions, you're going to be very close to the B/C cutoff. It'll depend on your wheel hp and tq readings, and exactly what your competition weight shakes out to be. At ~145wheel hp and tq, and 1500# you'll be at the very bottom of B, would need to be at least 1636# fully dressed. Obviously if those wheel hp numbers are lower you have more flexibility on weight. For reference, you'd need to be around 133 hp and tq to run at 1500#.

That said, there's nothing restricting you from running any open wheeler (definition below, you fall in to this category even though you don't have open wheels) in Super B or C. The only way you'll get booted to Super Unlimited is if you have an open wheeler (or sports racer in your case) that has corrected power to weight of 6.0 or better (800# race weight at the power numbers you're quoting).

Sounds like a nasty SC build if you can get the power and weight dialed in. Looking forward to seeing it this season!

Definition of Open Wheel Formula car – open wheeled, single seat vehicle designed for motorsports equipped with a front and/or rear wing or another device designed to provide downforce. Stewards will have final say in determining which vehicles fall under this classification. In addition to all F1, F2000, F3, IRL, Indy Lights, etc. vehicles, SCCA Formula Atlantic, Formula 1000, Formula SCCA, Formula Continental, Formula Mazda, Formula Ford, and Formula 500 also fall under this category.
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:11 pm

Ok, if I wind up in SB, that's fine. I'll get my butt kicked, but that's fine.

I think my crank torque is less than 120 ft-lbs. It's under 1.6L Power peak is at 7900. Rev limit is 8000, but a stock MR2 trans and open diff :|

I will dyno it and run it, I am not planning on competing for a class trophy in COM, it's a SCCA P2 car. But if it works out that I am close, then I will go for it.

Tires are 200mm front/250mm rear PZero slicks, medium compound. I have no idea if they are fast. This year is about shaking it out and having fun. I'll have it at Thompson.

Thanks for clarifying!
1994 Toyota World Sports Racer with EFI retrofit running in SC.
No power, but no weight.

Holder of two ancient class lap records purely by luck and technicalities. :D

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:31 pm

Be aware that many of our tracks on the schedule have pretty strict sounds requirements.
If the car is loud you might want to consider added a muffler or resonator now to enjoy your time on track without issues.

We see some stock factory sports cars get flagged for sound (Camaro SS, Mustangs, etc.) and some spec Miata type setups.
Paul G.

Boondocker850
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Boondocker850 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:07 am

Muffler it before you get it dynoed. That will probably knock some HP off and get you closer to SC if you are close.
Andrew LaValley #1144 2007 Honda S2000