2020 TT Season

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
i8ur911
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

2020 TT Season

Post by i8ur911 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am

Hey COM Members,

I'd like to start a discussion regarding the 2020 season.

First and foremost, the COM staff has been chatting via email as well as video conference about what it would take to hold an event during the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only what it would take, but if it's worthwhile given the safety precautions.

So, I'd like to open the discussion with our members and get your thoughts.

Please keep this thread clean.

Thanks!
Jason Gannett
17 BRZ Series Yellow
T50

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: 2020 TT Season

Post by brucesallen » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am

who is i8ur911?
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

i8ur911
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by i8ur911 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Jason Gannett
2017 BRZ (yellow)
Jason Gannett
17 BRZ Series Yellow
T50

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Bruce, Jason is a new guy on the BOD.

We have elections once a year, once in a while we get some fresh new folks to step up. Be nice! :D

To extend the questions ... we’re in the same boat as the other clubs, how do we run an event , once the authorities allow gatherings again, such that everyone is safe. The concern for spreading the virus is a big problem when our teaching requires a classroom and one on one in a student’s car. There’s also drivers meetings and techn to consider, how do we do that?

The second half, is economic. Can we afford to do this , at least enough to make the event break even?
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

i8ur911
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by i8ur911 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks Tom

Yes, the idea here is to get a chat going with some of our members to get an idea of what their thoughts are.

- how much interest is there given the safety/health concern?
- how much interest is there given the current financial situation that some people might be in?
- how do you envision instructing going?
- how do you envision the classroom instruction?
- what about lodging?
- how will "we" be perceived in the town(s) we will be visiting?

There's lots of these questions that have come up and we want to make sure the best decisions are being made....for our members, staff, hired workers, venue staff, etc.
Jason Gannett
17 BRZ Series Yellow
T50

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanB » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Depends on how the situation evolves, but it looks to me like if we are going to have events at all, they should probably be without students/instructors in cars together.
Maybe we could just run with no students/instructors, no newbies, but allow non-licensed drivers who have been signed off to solo at previous events to run with rookie stripes.
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 pm

I think Jason's last point is really important. We, all clubs really, rely on the goodwill of the local towns. What are we able to learn about how the people who live near the tracks we visit might respond to tracks reopening? Anything the track management can share with us? The response likely differs from places like Palmer to places like the Glen.

Sorry I don't really have more to contribute here. I just wanted to add my voice that the reception of, or impact on, the places we visit should be as important as the health and safety at the event. I am glad to see it on Jason's list.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 am

Palmer Motorsports Park has been abiding by the local wishes re "sheltering in place" -- we will only reopen once that loosens up.

Regarding the TT's, its a perfect model of "social distancing" since you can't even pass. As for classroom and drivers' meetings, doesn't COM have an app for that? We have a PA system, a big deck, an event tent, or garage space that could be used to conduct meetings in less crowded spaces.

As for students+instructors sharing a car, full nomex + full face helmet would suffice for me, maybe use hand signals instead of a communicator (or have students use their own mic/ear piece). If any instructor was unwilling to get in a car they would not sign up to instruct, or perhaps have students do lead-follow, or just end each session with a mouth rinse of brake cleaner (or WD-40, that stuff is amazing!)
Last edited by boltonite on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

SCCA Track Night

Post by brucesallen » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:41 pm

The SCCA Track Night in America lets anyone drive with no instruction or tech. WE must be the old ladies.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm

boltonite wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 am
perhaps have students do lead-follow
I like that idea.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Who doesn't like a spritz of brake cleaner in the morning?

Great points Jason, and I like the lead follow idea as well. Maybe make the sessions shorter and therefore the groups smaller....match student and instructors up with similar cars :D

Also another suggestion, maybe forget about the TT this year? It would limit the number of workers interacting, less of a burden on BOD, no handing in time cards, no catalytic converters, no transponders, lower costs, run a single day etc?

brucesallen wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:41 pm
The SCCA Track Night in America lets anyone drive with no instruction or tech. WE must be the old ladies.
They can also point by in corners, it makes for a pretty exciting time on track
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm thinking a test n tune day with just licensed drivers to start when ever we can get back on a track would be a good way to try out any new procedures. Drivers meetings we sometimes meet outdoors now, so just spread out at little more? could be challenging at venues with poor PAs . Tech; stay in the car, windows up, leave helmet & paperwork in trunk, Biggest challenge for me will be places to stay, not sure I'm real confident some of the places we stay at when we travel have the latest in cleaning/sanitizing technology. For instructing, seems like lead- follow would be necessary, even with helmets on I can't see how you could be in the same car and not be breathing the same air. One big question will be is what kind of restrictions will the tracks have, will there be a limit of 50 cars so that the per entrant fee is now $750/ day? Will tracks be screening or will participants need to bring proof of being healthy. Hopefully we will be able figure out a plan that keeps us all safe while still enjoying our hobby.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

beatus
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by beatus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:09 pm

As an unlicensed (but approved for solo in the events I've attended) member, if i'm allowed on track I'll be coming to the local events.
Brandon Ganem
#005 Mazda RX8

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:08 pm

I for one, do not feel comfortable hoping in a car and instructing. But I have 4 strikes against me, I'm over 70, I have diabetes, I have high blood pressure, plus I have heart issues. In the past I use to do lead follow with students especially at Watkins Glen where there is plenty of track. I never did it NHMS, Lime Rock or any of the short track. Just not enough space for student and instructor cars. I think lead follow can work well for most students. Palmer also is a good track for lead follow, I've done it there many times, plus it has the outside space for everybody to spread out and a PA system. As far as running a time trial, I don't think social distancing will affect it. Lets start the season as soon as we can safely. I am also lucky in that I don't have to worry about lodging, restrooms or food as I have a camper. I hope to see everybody at the track soon.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

i8ur911
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by i8ur911 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Thank you to all those who have chimed in this far. Please pass the word along to other members that this thread exists as we'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

As mentioned before, everyone's safety is first and foremost with this whole thing. I agree with many instructors that in car instruction is highly unlikely. The topic of lead-follow has been chatted about frequently and is not "off the table".

As I'm sure everyone is aware, the national situation is fairly fluid and changes come quickly on what/how states want to move forward. We're all hopeful for some track time, so let's keep chatting about different ideas of how to do it.
Jason Gannett
17 BRZ Series Yellow
T50