Do it all brake pads (Miata content)

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Xualiono
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Do it all brake pads (Miata content)

Post by Xualiono » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 am

I need some advice on what brake pads to buy. My car is driven on the street and will be autocrossed a lot. I would also like to do a couple track days. From the research I've done people seem to like the Mazda pads for autoX because they have good initial bite, but I think they'll fade right away on the track. Most of the track pad threads I've read suggest pads that take a while to get up to temperature and therefore won't be good for my purposes. Is there anything that will work well for autocross and still be acceptable on the track (I've never done a track day before so I won't be pushing it too hard)? I've gotten some recommendations for the Hawk HP+ Do you guys agree with that advice or should I be doing something else?

I also noticed that lots of people like to run different pads in the front than in the back. I don't want to do this to start with. I'd rather figure out how the car reacts to my driving style and then maybe stagger my pad compounds based on my results.
Last edited by Xualiono on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Do it all brake pads (Miata content)

Post by DanB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 am

I ran HP+ a few times on the S2000. Great bite! but lotsa corrosive stubborn black dust and lots of squealie noise on the street... That was a while back, may be a new formula by now...

Carbotech XP8 and XP10 pads always seemed to have good cold bite on the street for me. I ran them on 240Z, S2000, and LS3 RX7. Not as much initial bite but not bad.

Winmax W5s for me were great on the BRZ, but the NOIZE! Turned heads even in track day paddock...

Ran PFC 11s on the Cayman and IMO they make a really good street/track pad. Some noise on the street but not terrible and not too dusty.

Personally I think the "staggered front/rear pads" idea is usually not a great idea. I've never driven an car on the track with and though "man what I'd really like is less effective rear brakes". People swore that F/R staggered pads were a must on the S2000 due to supposed rear brake bias from the factory but in my experience even with ABS not working I always locked the fronts first.

IMO, same pads front/rear is definitely the way to go UNLESS you have a specific brake balance issue you need to address.
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 am

I'd 2nd the suggestion for Carbotech XP8/XP10 (or also Gloc G8/G10).

I used to street drive my S4 to the track, and ran carbotechs all the time and they worked well.

For my Miata now I run XP12/XP10 (front/back) or G12/G10.

The non-corrosive pad dust on those families of pads is a nice plus.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

AndrewG
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by AndrewG » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:30 pm

I run the HP+ on my Miata that gets street driven to the track. They work great for autocross as well. I’ve never had any issues with fade on track but it’s just a stock motor NA Miata so the car isn’t very fast or heavy. They work fine on the street (not scary when cold or anything like that) but they can be pretty noisy (squeaky).

-Andrew, #66 T30 Miata

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Carbotech pads great on track and street, but squeal on street after transfer layer worn off. BUT, that is a badge of courage. As in "why do your pads squeal?" "Because they are racing pads." "I am so cool."
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 am

Todays street pads are pretty amazing as brake compounds have come a looong way. A good set of ceramic pads have pretty nice bite and hold up well, even when pushed hard. The more seat time you get,the less you will use your brakes anyways.. :wink:

If you end up in the rain,a street pad has much better feel than most any track pad,at least from my experiences.

That being said...I also prefer Carbotechs and run them on all my track cars. I'll stagger the compounds IF I need more bias than I can tune in with the mechanical brake bias adjusters on the car.

Keep a record of what you put on. Just a simple piece of paper in the glove box will do for starters.

Don't overthink it. Put a good set of new street pads on...brake them in properly on fresh (or resurfaced) rotors and have fun!

There is a lot to learn about track driving, and keeping your equipment simple will allow you more time to build driving skills.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 am

breakaway500 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 am
That being said...I also prefer Carbotechs and run them on all my track cars.

Don't overthink it. Put a good set of new street pads on...brake them in properly on fresh (or resurfaced) rotors and have fun!
One good note there: Carbotech/Gloc pads are very rotor friendly. That means they won't do a good job of cleaning a previous pad material off a rotor. Given how cheap Miata rotors are, you are best starting out with new rotors when you put pads on.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:32 pm

New rotors are the best way to go as they do heat check/crack and fatigue like all other components. However if I’m in between discard cycles and want to try a new compound, I have bead blasted my rotors.Works great to get that winter rust off too... :wink:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 pm

I run HP+ on my Datsun, which weighs the same as your Miata. Street and track, no fade issues on the track.

I've also run them on much heavier, and more powerful cars, and my NA Miata. I recommend them.

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Fwiw, I began with EBC Green.
Don’t do that.

EBC Red, however, is a very aggressive bite with a quick release and can be modulated well. Liz runs them on her 335M3 and I run them on my Jag - both on the street, and the Jag on the track very occasionally.

On 42 and 37, we run DTC 60/30. Contrary to Dan’s impression, I absolutely believe that in an NA/NB, a staggered pad approach is beneficial.

The DTC’s work fine on 37 on the street, other than all race pads eating rotors.
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am

I had a bad experience with EBC Yellows. By the afternoon of the fourth day on track the BRZ they were down to the backing plates. From what I'd read the Yellows were supposed to be more suited for autocross/track than the Reds. Sure the car is heavier than an MX-5, but I won't go back to EBC.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86