Suspension advice

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Suspension advice

Post by billrice » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 am

Hi folks,
I’m considering MCS suspension for my GTI. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. It’s still a dual purpose car though not a daily driver. MCS suggests setting the car up at the beginning of the season with a bias toward the track then setting it up for the street after the season ends. They tell me their suspension systems are upgradeable. The car will eventually be a track car only. I know this a compromise but I’m enjoying the one at time upgrading.
Tx
Bill

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Suspension advice

Post by CalypsoBean » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 am

Do you have a link to the suspension setup you are considering?

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by TXBDan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:46 pm

What year/generation is it? I tracked a Mk6 for awhile. The biggest issue i had was the EDL destroying the brakes. If yours doesn't already have one, a real mechanical LSD would be mod #1.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by billrice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Here's a link to there website.
http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/buye ... on-remote/
Mine is Mk7 Gen3 2.O T manual transmission

billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by billrice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 pm

The Mk7 GTI Performance Pack (US name) and the Clubsport have VW VAQ diff, which is essentially an electronically controlled clutch-type LSD. Very similar to the e-diff in a Ferrari, among others.

billrice
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by billrice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi Dan,
What do you mean by destroying brakes? I ask because I've been going through pads pretty fast. I went through a practically new set of front pads on the first day at WGI. I'm switching to Carbotech. I hope it makes a difference.

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:15 pm

If the eLSD setup uses the brake controller to limit wheelspin, it's going to eat up your brake pads faster than a mechanical or viscous LSD, which don't employ the brakes at all.

But if you have an electronically-controlled viscous clutch unit, this isn't your issue. Your pads were eaten up most likely because you have a relatively nose-heavy car.

Unless you were running with the traction control systems active, in which case, that's what's eating your pads.

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by TXBDan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 am

Cool, the VAQ diff is very good so you're set there. My issue was just that, a lack of mechanical LSD resulted in EDL using the brakes to limit wheel spin. I once cooked DTC-60s so bad i blew T1 at NHMS and went up the oval. I had so much smoke billowing out of the wheel wells the corner workers ran over with extinguishers thinking my car was on fire. I ended up installing an Stoptech BBK to get enough thermal capacity and it actually worked decently then on. The car itself was pretty quick and fun to drive.

As ^he said, even with the VAQ, it's likely traction/stability control working your (particularly rear) brakes and eating up pads. I'm a little surprised to hear you're killing front pads with the PP brakes. What pads are you currently running? I haven't had good luck with Carbotechs and prefer Hawks and PFC, but everyone has their opinion.

You can tweak some settings with a VAGCOM and perhaps gain access to stability control modes you don't currently have. I have an OBD11 if you need it. (I have a 4Motion Golf Sportwagen and i enabled ESC Sport mode which lets me drift around in the snow for stupid fun)

Regarding the MCS shocks, they're very good, prob the best in the realm of club level stuff. They do pitch being upgradeable, but its not thought to be cost effective. I will say that at least for me at my skill level, they weren't magic. I don't think i gained much time at all over the old TCKs DAs i was running previously on the E36. They are pretty comfy on the street thought and the discrete adjustments are noticeable. Only you can decide if the cost/benefit is worth it. A Bilstein Sport is a very good shock at like 1/4 of the price.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8