Seat Mounting

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Fezti
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Seat Mounting

Post by Fezti » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Hey guys,

Got another question: I bought my seats, looking at mounting them soon. I feel like I'm going to run into a problem where I can't mount a seat mount based off of the stock seat mounts in the body. What rule would I follow to weld into the chassis a new seat subframe? I just want to make sure when I get on the track no one has any qualms about how everything is set.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seat Mounting

Post by WillM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

Hello Fetzi,

This is a great and important question. Proper installation of the seat is part of the driver safety system. The seat, harnesses, HANS, helmet, rollbar or rollcage (if present), are all meaningless if the seat is not properly installed. Kudos to you for paying it due respect - I've seen too many (expensive) seats mounted poorly.

That said, there is no specification. The seat must be solidly mounted. The mount and associated hardware should be sturdy. Grade-8 bolts. If you do not have experience with installing seats, this is a great opportunity to speak with one of the many mechanics friendly with COM - several of our instructors and members own shops, some work routinely on race cars.

Best,

Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Fezti
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Fezti » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I've been getting some ideas from the Rally guys about how to mount the seats with cross-bars from the tunnel to the door sill. I'm going to see how the seat will mount with stock hardware spots first; see how low I get mounted. If it isn't low enough I'll go that route.

CalypsoBean
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by CalypsoBean » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Planted makes a wide range of brackets for many different vehicles and seat designs.

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/

peejay
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by peejay » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:03 pm

PCI seat mounts worked well for my Miata with Cobra Imolas. I went with the "adjustable" version. In that you have a few options for heat/tilt/angle, but are fixed once mounted.

http://kazespecengineering.com/shop/pro ... version-1/
PJ A
1996 Miata
T30 91