Do 2018 rule changes reset all track records?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
SmokinS4
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Do 2018 rule changes reset all track records?

Post by SmokinS4 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi,
As I was reviewing the rules, my car falls into the dyno requirement, making it go from T-40 (2017) to T-50 (2018) on the same tires/same weight.
For another example, Jeff Wasilko is calculating up at least one whole class as well.
What's the policy on track events, when the rules are not nearly comparable to the previous year rules?

For those who were not impacted by the rule changes, it means that the bar is impossibly set.

This is the equivalent of paving Watkins Glen. It's all new

Thoughts?

Discuss,

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: Do 2018 rule changes reset all track records?

Post by SandyClam » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Why would you being in a new class reset a track record? If you want to challenge a T40 track record next year, make your car T40 legal. Rules change almost every year, if we had to reset track records every time a new tire came out, or a new car was introduced... you might as well give everyone a track record for their particular car/mods/tire pressures/time of the day.

And where are the 2018 rules? I don't see them posted anywhere.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:07 pm

We did reset the track records in 2013, after the complete rule-set overhaul. I haven't seen the new rules but cant imagine they warrant another reset.

The only other times we reset records is when a track is re-paved or otherwise modified in a way that might affect times - Like if Raj knocks a retaining wall back 2 ft :P

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 am

The rules have been debated and voted upon... I'd expect them to be published just after the first of the year. Our Chief Steward will put a post up in the rules forum that explains the changes.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

SmokinS4
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by SmokinS4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Sandy,

Sorry, I was at the last BoD meeting where the results of the rules were discussed. As someone pointed out, they'll be published very soon.

My point was that the rule change was so dramatic, what's the policy of when records get reset? Like the rule change of 2013 and the repave of Watkins Glen, as mentioned by Mick.
SandyClam wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:57 pm
Why would you being in a new class reset a track record? If you want to challenge a T40 track record next year, make your car T40 legal. Rules change almost every year, if we had to reset track records every time a new tire came out, or a new car was introduced... you might as well give everyone a track record for their particular car/mods/tire pressures/time of the day.

And where are the 2018 rules? I don't see them posted anywhere.

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SandyClam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Once the rest of the club get a chance to review the rules, I am sure we will have some more fruitful discussion. From my perspective, which is mostly worthless, something like a repave/reconfiguration of a track, or the release of an entirely new set of classes is pretty easy to justify a change in records.
If we change how cars fit into existing class, I am not sure that fits the bill.
On the other hand, if the rule change was such that it upended the majority of class participants AND made the classes slower, it might be a good idea to consider.

SmokinS4
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by SmokinS4 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:11 pm

SandyClam wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm
Once the rest of the club get a chance to review the rules, I am sure we will have some more fruitful discussion. From my perspective, which is mostly worthless, something like a repave/reconfiguration of a track, or the release of an entirely new set of classes is pretty easy to justify a change in records.
If we change how cars fit into existing class, I am not sure that fits the bill.
On the other hand, if the rule change was such that it upended the majority of class participants AND made the classes slower, it might be a good idea to consider.
Agreed.

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SandyClam » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 pm

When are we going to see these new rules? Inquiring minds want to know!

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Very soon. Derek is just tying up some loose ends.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm

IMO, FWIW, this set of rules changes qualify potentially as drastic a change as the re-class of T/S.

I urge the membership to review them and voice opinions to BOD members. The BOD is here to act in the interest of the club so we need to hear your input.
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Drastic? I'd say so.
Speaking personally, if I wanted to place a bridge ported engine in an RX7, the old assessment added 2 points. The new assessment conceivably adds a whopping 52 points. A clean 2500% increase. Yup. Drastic.
-Carl
Last edited by cfossum on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewG
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by AndrewG » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I read through the revised rule book this weekend and thought the changes were pretty minor; certainly nothing that would reset all the track records.
I actually think most of the classes will be a little bit faster this coming year because the tire points went down for most people, so they'll be able to remove a little weight or whatever and run a little faster.
The only way I see cars moving UP a whole class (or more) would be if their (newly required) dyno results produced way more "assessment points" than taking the modification points. In that case, I see it as moving a car back to its "correct" class because the classes are (mostly) based on power to weight. If the "modification points" were perfect, the dyno would result in exactly the same assessment as adding up the modifications.
Is there anything that I'm missing? I'm open to changing my mind. But, I think we should only reset records if it's absolutely required. It's not an accomplishment to set a track record if we reset them every time we tweak the rules.

-Andrew
#626 T30 Miata

blindsidefive0

Post by blindsidefive0 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm

AndrewG wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm
I read through the revised rule book this weekend and thought the changes were pretty minor; certainly nothing that would reset all the track records.
I actually think most of the classes will be a little bit faster this coming year because the tire points went down for most people, so they'll be able to remove a little weight or whatever and run a little faster.
The only way I see cars moving UP a whole class (or more) would be if their (newly required) dyno results produced way more "assessment points" than taking the modification points. In that case, I see it as moving a car back to its "correct" class because the classes are (mostly) based on power to weight. If the "modification points" were perfect, the dyno would result in exactly the same assessment as adding up the modifications.
Is there anything that I'm missing? I'm open to changing my mind. But, I think we should only reset records if it's absolutely required. It's not an accomplishment to set a track record if we reset them every time we tweak the rules.

-Andrew
#626 T30 Miata
Exactly
- Nick
nicholas.fontana@gmail.com

1999 Mazda Miata - T50
FS: 1997 Green BMW M3 - T80/SC
RIP: 1994 White BMW 325i - SSB

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 pm

blindsidefive0 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm
AndrewG wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm

-Andrew
#626 T30 Miata
Exactly
What they said. - Paul G.
Paul G.

eastcoastbumps
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by eastcoastbumps » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Well said Drew
cfossum wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm
Drastic? I'd say so.
Speaking personally, if I wanted to place a bridge ported engine in an RX7, the old assessment added 2 points. The new assessment conceivably adds a whopping 52 points. A clean 2500% increase. Yup. Drastic.
-Carl
Carl, care to elaborate? Bridge porting now requires a dyno. The rule is in parallel to internal engine modifications on a piston engine also requiring a dyno.

The only way you're moving up 52pts with a bridge ported engine in an FC is if its making 360whp/345tq vs its factory rated 148 flywheel hp/136tq.
Pete McParland #617
Honda S2000