point systems for tires (revision needed?)

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

point systems for tires (revision needed?)

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:06 pm

HI;
I have two points to comment and one request for submission for rule change:
Comment point 1 = MAXXIS Tires
Recently I see a few trying out the new Maxxis tires and wonder where it will land with regard to the points please?

Comment point 2 = request for rule change or use special dispensation
Some are using "continental slicks" when Hoho and BFG's are in shortage. There are some contis slicks available (used, up to 5 HC with 75% thread for example) and they are reasonably priced but not as effective in performance as Hoosiers or BFG R1S
Some recent tests concluded that there is no significant difference from the Hoho and BFG R1S, matter of fact they are LESS grippy.
I question then why the 13 points for the conti's while Hoho and BFG R1S take 10 points.
In fact there is no specific "category for these continental brand... only generalizes as "non-DOT slicks (except where noted)". Same applied to page 55 in rule book.
I propose the rule change to have Contis down to 10 points for the above stated reasons or that they will be granted dispensation and be classed as 10 points.
I propose a proper definition of "slicks" by brand and determine the points based of data acquired either by manufacture, research or club member experience in testing these tires.

sorry for the rambling and TIA!
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: point systems for tires (revision needed?)

Post by joncowen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Stephan,
I believe you are referring to the "continental challenge" tires. Those are already in the tire list, as 6 points. I haven't used them in a few years, but if the compound isn't different now, i agree with 6 points.
The slicks category is basically what other TT clubs do. There are so many brands and types of non DOT "slicks", it's a very difficult task to classify each, especially when not many club members use them.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: point systems for tires (revision needed?)

Post by StephanAlfa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks Jon.
I was referring to "Continental DR" as is commonly called "Continental Slicks" in some used racing tires website... on the tire wall it says "Continental Extreme Contact DR"
These Contis do not have that "DOT stamp (as does in the BFG R1S for example) and they are not as competitive to BFG R1S and Hohos.

If the Contis you are mentioning are indeed the one that are rated 6 points then I agree.
Tks
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)