HDPE Insurance guidance

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
skid
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

HDPE Insurance guidance

Post by skid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello all! It looks like the 944 is not going to make it to the Glenn. A loss of oil pressure at the end of Palmer has wiped the bearings and the back up engine failed the race prior so.... The C7 will make its first track appearance pending track insurance. I would like to know if anyone has advice on what company seems to be the most reasonable and best coverage. Many thanks!!

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: HDPE Insurance guidance

Post by paultg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 pm

I've used https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

Never made a claim but insuring the car on there website is pretty easy. When I had questions they were helpful over the phone also.

Paul G.
Paul G.

skid
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by skid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks Paul!

djsteviec
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by djsteviec » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Sucks about the engine. But, GET an Accusump!! Canton Racing Products is one of my sponsors, and I always new it was good- but it saved the engine this past weekend at my race.

I have been doing all endurance events the past couple years. 8-14hrs per race. This past weekend at Thompson one of my drivers crashed in the 1st 2hrs. The damage didn't show until 7hrs later. The big one was, I was losing power in turns and watching my oil pressure drop and then go up- gaining and losing power, and seeing my Accusump active LED lighting up.

I brought it in and found that the oil cooler had gotten cracked and was leaking. I added 2.5qts of oil to a 4qt engine!

Bypassed the oil cooler, and ran another 3.5hrs, until the bearing failure showed up.

The engine was still running perfect! No knocking, no issues and pressure is good. The Accusump 100% saved the engine with the electric valve and it's 3qt capacity!! Can't say enough good things about it! :)
Steve Cohen- AKA- Baller, DJ STEVIE C.

#204 1987 Honda CR-X Si- T30
1989 Celica GT-S (coming back soon)

skid
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by skid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Yea I have an accusump on her. The pick up tube cracked and no oil could be drawn up. By the time I noticed the damage was done. I am sure the sump did its job and saved the engine as long as it could. I didn't spin a bearing but the pan was full of filings, complete rebuild needed.

djsteviec
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by djsteviec » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Uh! Well, at least the block and head can hopefully be reused. So, there is that. :(
Steve Cohen- AKA- Baller, DJ STEVIE C.

#204 1987 Honda CR-X Si- T30
1989 Celica GT-S (coming back soon)

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am

I've used Lockton and Hagerty for US events. When we went to Mosport I used trackdayinsurance.ca. I found Hagerty to be slightly cheaper than Lockton. Both were easy enough to purchase online. Lockton has multi-event policies with discounts (I think it was 6 events over 12 months).

Thankfully, I don't have any claims experience with any of them so I can't advise you there.

Best of luck. Keep it shiny side up!

Ninja edit: Because this is my daily driver, and I'm still paying off the purchase loan, I'm insuring it every time I take it to the track. The consequence of something going wrong would be a giant bill to pay off the loan, plus the need to immediately buy another car AND having nothing to trade in for a downpayment. Once the car is paid off and/or it ceases to be my daily, the insurance equation may change.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86