Fuel cell

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
GTiChris
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Fuel cell

Post by GTiChris » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi!
Starting to put together my plan to get a car back into shape for the track as time allows. Not sure that I will make an event this year but, rather have the car ready to go if the planets align. :wink: Its been sitting for quite a while and I'm expecting the stock fuel tank to have some issues. I went through the 2017 rule book and did a text search for 'fuel cell' and didn't find any reference to a specific type/certification. I'm assuming a steel container with a cross-linked polyethylene inner tank would be OK. (with a separation from the passenger compartment). A metal container with a rubber ballistic bladder is out of the budget at this time. Any input is welcome. Thank you!

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Fuel cell

Post by breakaway500 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 am

Why not replace it with a new stock tank? Unless you are in a class that requires a fuel cell,stock tank replacement is much easier and cheaper. Sorry, I'm no help on the regulations covering fuel cells.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

GTiChris
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by GTiChris » Tue May 16, 2017 2:31 pm

breakaway500 wrote:Why not replace it with a new stock tank? Unless you are in a class that requires a fuel cell,stock tank replacement is much easier and cheaper. Sorry, I'm no help on the regulations covering fuel cells.
Thank you for the reply!

That certainly is still an option. Price seems to be right around $200 for a replacement. An 8 gal. JAZ cell complete with foam was about $280 iirc.
I was considering that the cell, even a non-ballistic bladder style would add to the safety of the car over the stock tank and filler assembly. If the existing tank is in poor condition, then the thought would be to put the $$ towards a fuel cell.
Then again, the difference in cost could be applied elsewhere and may shorten the time to get the car back in condition. :wink:

Still wouldn't mind input regarding the fuel cells as it will help with the consideration. :)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Most stock fuel tanks/systems are very safe.They must comply with many govt requirements for roll over protection and crash standards. Matter of fact,they are safer than many fuel cells I have seen (that have usually been installed improperly) Unless you are required to run a fuel cell or are starting from scratch,the stock filler,sender,fuel module,fuel lines,and fuel tank are well designed and easy to acquire and simple to service.Use that money for more important things..like tires. :)
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

PaddyMcP
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by PaddyMcP » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Avoid a fuel cell if possible. You'll create more problems than it's worth. The pump fuel with ethanol just destroys cheap fuel cell bladders, foam, internal lines. If you are doing it cheap, (not buying directly from ATL or Fuelsafe) you are most likely creating more risk of fire than preventing. Nevermind the fact that your car won't pass tech at any decent organization with a non SFI/FIA cert.

We deal with a lot of cells running the enduros. Costly and time consuming.

-Paddy