1965 Shelby GT 350 R Model replica

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

1965 Shelby GT 350 R Model replica

Post by Sandy Washburn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 am

[attachment=1]IMG_0424_rev2.jpg[/attachment)

In 2003 I built a Factory Five Mark II and used the car for 6 years before selling it.
I used the sales proceeds to build a replica of a 1969 MGC GTS Sebring Factory race car
which I have used at track days, time trials and hill climbs for the past five years.

Earlier this year, I purchased a 1965 Shelby GT 350 which had been built in 1985 as a track
car by a paraplegic in New Hampshire. The car had a stitch welded frame, complete
roll cage and zero rust. However, the front end was one piece fiberglass. I have
replaced the entire front end, added a glass windshield and the R model rear
window with the opening at the top from Cobra Automotive, which has supplied
me with most of the proper parts for my build. I had the 289 rebuilt professionally
at Reid Automotive in Witman Ma and the engine dynoed at 380HP with 360 torque
which should perform quite well on the track with a 2600 pound car.

When I purchased the car last March, I discovered that the car had about 200 pounds
of hydraulic pumps and air tanks for the hand controls that operated the steering,
brakes and the accelerator from the owners chest area. Before I did anything to convert
the car to a GT350 R Model, I removed all of the handicaped gear and pulled the
engine and automatic transmission. The owner claimed that the engine was a stroked
289 with 500HP, but it was determined to be a fairly stock 289 when Reid Automotive
disassembled it for the major rebuild. The engine is now a 289 HI PO balanced and
ported with a Holley 750 double pumper carb, aluminum flywheel, competition clutch,
and a Tremec 600 TKO close ratio transmission, Cobra Automotive racing driveshaft,
Wilwood six piston front 12" brakes, Total Control front suspension, and Maier race springs
in the rear. I installed a new Fuel cell and an electric fuel pump to boost the fuel to the
racing manual fuel pump on the engine. I also installed an FIA approved fire suppression
system. The custom stainless 3" side pipe exhaust has high performance flowmaster PRO mufflers
for Lime Rock, and I also purchased a 3.5" NASCAR Boom Tube exhaust for Watkins Glen
where there are no sound restrictions.

I expect to race the car at Watkins Glen several times next year, also at Lime Rock, Mosport,
Palmer Motorsport Park, and possibly VIR. I will post several pictures when I resize the
attachments.
Attachments
IMG_0456_rev2.jpg
IMG_0456_rev2.jpg (248.52 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
GT360R replica
GT360R replica
IMG_0424_rev2.jpg (225.23 KiB) Viewed 6485 times

djsteviec
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: 1965 Shelby GT 350 R Model replica

Post by djsteviec » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Nice build! Can't wait to see it on track, that is if you are doing COM events with it?

But, probably just a purpose built Lemons car. :P
Steve Cohen- AKA- Baller, DJ STEVIE C.

#204 1987 Honda CR-X Si- T30
1989 Celica GT-S (coming back soon)

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 pm

That must have belonged to the quadriplegic that came out to COMSCC and drove a couple of times in our school. He had a company that specialized in hand controls and he drove his RV to the track with these controls. I had him as a student and it was a good thing that he provided a brake pedal for the right hand seat. I used it at least once when his hand came out of the hand controls. We decided that he should not drive a car at speed.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Sandy Washburn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Rob Thomas was the paraplegic who sold me the Mustang last spring. He died this week after 30 years in a wheelchair trying to achieve his dreams.

In his autobiography, he explained in detail that his time spent with COM at New Hampshire was the greatest experience in his life. After many years
building his dream 1965 Mustang race car and trial and error to perfect a steering system for his disability, and after several years of working with COM
instructors to master the NHMS road course, in August 2002 he completed three sessions successfully which gave him the ultimate pleasure. He was
forever grateful to COM for giving him the opportunity to drive his car at speed, and for the organization's willingness to work with his disability.

His passion for driving at speed on a race course is why we all participate in HPDE and time trials. His experience is an inspiration to me and COM
should be proud to have been a part of his dream's realization.

Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Sandy Washburn » Tue May 10, 2016 11:40 am

I have finally finished the Shelby GT 350R replica and plan to have it at Palmer on June 4th.

I will run the car at Lime Rock on May 23rd to sort out any bugs in the car.

Safety is the number one issue and running a new build for the first time is exciting.

The car has Wilwood discs front and back, rack and pinion steering, and a modern coil over front suspension

so it should handle well. With 380 dyno HP and weight of 2800 pounds, performance should exceed that of the MGC GTS.

Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Sandy Washburn » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 am

Looking forward to Palmer on June 4th

I have decided to trailer the Mustang down to SEBRING in October with my son, Bill, for 6 hours of track time with NASA Florida.
This has been on my bucket list since I first saw SEBRING in 1965 when I drove down to Florida in my Austin Healey 3000 and spent a week working
in the pits as a volunteer for the Delmo Johnson Corvette Grand Sport team from Texas.

After spending a week in Florida with my wife, I will participate in the NASA Mid Atlantic HPDE event at VIR before heading home.

I also plan on attending the COM event at Watkins Glen in Setember as well as a SCDA event there in July.

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Tue May 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Go get'm Sandy
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Sandy Washburn » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Took the car to Lime Rock this week and ran one session before the engine overheated due to a radiator that is too small.

I trailered the car to Cobra Automotive where most of the vintage GT350 R original cars are serviced and they recommended
that I install a custom large capacity radiator that also has a built in oil cooler which is used by all of their race cars.

I will head to Watkins Glen on July 17th with SCDA with the NASCAR exhaust pipes installed. I have heard that the track surface is
spectacular with tons of grip.

Sandy Washburn
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Sandy Washburn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Bill and I spent two days ay SEBRING last weekend running the Shelby GT 350.
The attached UTube video provides a taste of the NASA event.
Over 150 cars participated in HPDE, time trials and road racing classes.

I am headed for VIR for two days with NASA next weekend.

The Mustang performance was well worth the effort to build it!

I will probably sell the MGCGTS this winter, although it is a great track car
due to the mechanical enhancements Bill added to it. I can't afford to keep
two race cars.

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:14 am

Great sounds. I always wanted to drive the Sebring course - but I do miss the old esses.

I believe I was there when the MGCs ran. At about that time, I was working as a BMC mechanic at Commonwealth Chevy in Boston, and I got to work on the street versions.
Subaru Legacy GT #67

"Track time is my enemy"
- Frank Perron

"I remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous."

Mustang driver
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by Mustang driver » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:11 am

It’s awesome to see the car back on the track. Nice job Sandy!
Rob is my brother. I now Have and drive the 99 convertible that was mentioned.