Mosport Questions

Any and all discussions concerning events.
imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Mosport Questions

Post by imgon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Just signed up for Mosport, can't wait, this is my first trip to Canada to race. Besides a passport what other rules must be followed to get out of and back into the US. I figured I'll bring a copy of the title as the car is not registered. Do I need a list of all the stuff I bring? Where is a good place to stay? Looks like the best way there is I90 to Syracuse then north. Will we be able to drop cars off Sunday night?
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

91rs13
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Mosport Questions

Post by 91rs13 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:26 pm

A totally unofficial reply and I am wondering if we can drop cars on Sunday as well.
But going into Canada is usually less hassle than coming back.

If you are going up Rt 81, Stop at Exit 48 or 49 for fuel, it will save some money. If your tow vehicle runs super or you did not fill gas cans ahead of time be careful. Some of the stations up that way ( Fort Drum area) are stocking 91 non ethanol instead of 93.
Bring a passport or enhanced license --Law says registered cars do not need titles, but I have been asked for mine multiple times.
If you are going to have a manifest type list of stuff, you need to stop on the US side before Canada customs or it really means nothing ( not stamped) --so I do not bother any longer.

Fuel-- you can bring in 20 gallons or so before they start thinking about charging you tax at the border. They will ask where you are going, how long staying, and if you are leaving anything in Canada. ( among other questions) -- Most of the border guards are friendly, some not.

Money -- Exchange rate is about .77 $CDN on the $US 1.00 --so you might want some cash. There is a currency exchange on Hill island ( big tower ) just after the border crossing. Most places accept credit card ( they mostly use Chip technology--not swipe)

Beer -- Only sold at "The Beer store" or the LCBO in Ontario ( or a bar) . It is expensive in Canada and hours can be limited. You cannot stop at the corner gas station or market and pick it up ( or is that a NY thing)

There are a couple of hotels in Bowmanville, ON --town closest to track. ( Holiday inn express --newer and nice, and a renovated Quality inn cheaper --the old Howard Johnson- )

No coming back can be "fun".
The US border guards tend to be a little more serious. As mentioned--the title to the vehicle. Have all vehicle registrations available with passport/enhanced license when coming to gate. I have waited at the border for 2 minutes or up to 1.5 hours one trip ( their computer system was down)
I have had easy going guards who want to talk about the car --and others who wanted to know why one of my tires in the truck was different ( spare for the trailer) --to tapping around the car and trailer looking for god knows what. -- It is always a surprise.

See Ya
DJ

# 381 T60 BMW 318
2011 Ram 1500
1972 Datsun 510
350Z Nismo--It died a miserable death........

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by imgon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks DJ, I will bring important documents, passports, titles, regs and not worry about all the tools/parts I bring with me and hope for the best coming home. Done the border crossing a few times with nothing in the car but some luggage and as you said you never know what kind of reception you will get.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Lots of folks leave the track on day 2 and drive to The Edge Hotel in Lyons Falls NY, which is about 4 hours from Mosport. That allows you to cross the border in the evening when there's less traffic, and you wake up 4 hours closer to home. They have a large parking lot that's trailer friendly too.

http://binged.it/1IOUzHZ

Also, I prefer the route 12 cutoff between 90-W and 81-N. It may not be faster, but it's a nice drive, and it breaks up the monotony of the 10 hour trip.

dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dinoracer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Hi Chuck

Pretty well covered here. As Mick said, the The Edge hotel is a nice stop. Little bar in front of it if you get there early ( last time Gordon and I sweet talked the barmaid into serving us after last call at 10) , and the hotel is nice. I think their high season is the snowmobile crowd.

Coming back from Calabogie, I was late getting there because I forgot the title to the racecar. Took an extra hour at the border, and luckily my wife has a fax machine in our house and she was able to send the title. Don't forget to bring yours!! The border agents were not amused but could have been worse. Do not try to lighten the mood by making jokes; courteous and direct is the best behavior here.

I brought my own beer- there's no Canadian beer that's worth the effort to hunt it down after hours..
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:03 pm

don't forget to get phone and data international plans if you do not already have international service. I signed up for a 30 day plan.

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:06 pm

What is the deal with towing on the NY Thruway with a trailer and EZ Pass. Do I need a second transponder?
T30 #32 Miata: The Red and Yellow Machine!

DanB
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanB » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Where's the meet-up place Sunday evening?
'17 Subaru BRZ PP, #7 T50
Gone but not forgotten: Datsun 240Z, #7 SPB :cry:

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:25 pm

"Google is your friend" - https://www.ezpassritba.com/StaticConte ... laneousFaq

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my transponder?

Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a transponder programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your transponder in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car transponder in a tractor-trailer).

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 pm

DanB wrote:Where's the meet-up place Sunday evening?
Turn 1
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Any thoughts on arriving early to catch some of the truck race? Anywhere to park our rigs outside of the track?
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6