Palmer 1 Videos

Any and all discussions concerning events.
TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Palmer 1 Videos

Post by TroyV » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 pm

I'll go first.. Here is my TT. Meh laps...but at least I didn't do anything stupid....I hope. My first Gopro vid.

Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Palmer 1 Videos

Post by joncowen » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Mine is here.

Criticism welcome. Constructive or otherwise.
I'm leaving time on the table in at least a few turns. Namely 6, 8 and especially 10. My gearing sucks for this track. I'm short shifting in places to avoid hairy shift spots. Car is too damn heavy.
I struggled learning the track on day 1. I think it had to do with all the scattered traffic (other people trying to learn too). It was damn near impossible to string together several clean corners in a row. I need lots more practice. The track is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to get back.

Rotary-Amuse
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by Rotary-Amuse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Open to constructive criticism as well or any feedback if we were running together out on track

Unlike Troy, I had a few misshifts and some bad luck (the car didn't want to give me 4th coming on to the front straight when I really wanted/needed 4th)

Such a fun track - can't wait until Palmer 2! It was great seeing a few familiar faces as well as meeting some new people

Thanks for the tow Mick - I believe I put down my fastest lap of the day behind you

I took a good amount of photos around the paddocks, I'll post them up when I get the chance to edit them

Cheers!

ED9man
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ED9man » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:09 pm

My 1st place TT lap in T30.

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:55 pm

As promised, a bunch of laps with Scott with cameos from familiar faces, and an interesting case study on how not to point then drag race down the straights, only to be summarily gobbled up like a cream filled doughnut in the turns.

Mmmmm.... Delicious..

Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Being held up is no excuse for sloppy apexes. Sorry piece of driving by me.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:30 pm

You were just filling the mirrors is all.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Sorry I held you guys up as bad as I did. The wave off on my first point by messed with my head. Wasn't sure why Scott waved me off. I was hoping he wanted to watch my line and give me some pointers after the session. Rookie mistake. You can ask any of the vettes, GTR's and other stupidly fast cars that I am always quick to give a point by!!! Trust me I saw Scott the WHOLE time. I should have kept pointing. Lesson learned. :oops:
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:28 pm

John, I was unsure of your lap times, so when you pointed me by exiting 5- I knew you were going to leave me standing still going up the hill and that was why the wave off. It is a good lesson for all of us- that just because someone doesn't take a point-by when offered- doesn't mean they don't want the offer again. With that said I was checking out your driving and taking notes.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:08 am

joncowen wrote:Mine is here.

I'm leaving time on the table in at least a few turns. Namely 6, 8 and especially 10. My gearing sucks for this track. I'm short shifting in places to avoid hairy shift spots. Car is too damn heavy.
I struggled learning the track on day 1. I think it had to do with all the scattered traffic (other people trying to learn too). It was damn near impossible to string together several clean corners in a row. I need lots more practice. The track is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to get back.
Nice driving. I don't think you're doing too badly in 6, 8 and 10, there are just a couple of small things you could tidy up. I really like your entry to 5, just be mindful of your mid-corner speed. You're overcooking the last 1/3 of the corner it's causing the car to be pushed off of the right side of the track. That's tightening up 6 on you and causing you to bind the car up on track out. Keep that aggressive, inside, entry to 5 but be patient with the throttle and be sure to keep the car tight to the right and set up 6. Anything you give up in 5 will be more than made up if it affords a better exit from 6.

8, you're just a little early going in and the car is washing out. You have to get the car down into that pocket, your mirror should be practically scraping those tires.

Where you could make a significant gain is in 3 (based on the corner numbers on this map). After turn 2 you never get back over to the right side of the track. That's causing you to apex like 25' too early for 3. Pause your video at 2:18 and look at the car placement. It should be on the opposite side of the track at this point and you should be apexing at the last cone in that row.
joncowen wrote:Car is too damn heavy.
Deal with it. 8)

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 am

Mick wrote: "8, you're just a little early going in and the car is washing out. You have to get the car down into that pocket, your mirror should be practically scraping those tires."

8..the new 7…. :wink: .. ah..Micks Pocket.. that pocket is a tough spot to hit,but it sure feels good when done right.Following Mick into the pocket really showed me the way. Great critique and even though it wasn't my video..I look and learn.

Mikhael…nice lap..still a bit left into turn 4 (old 5) and glad to see you nailing 9,bouncing off that left banking and dropping into the apex.You don't push half as much using that cushion shot technique and gives you great early throttle on for the straight. Congrats on a job well done. :D :sunny: :sunny:
Last edited by breakaway500 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 am

Passing_Zones(1).jpg
Passing_Zones(1).jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
Mick wrote:
joncowen wrote:Mine is here.

Nice driving. I don't think you're doing too badly in 6, 8 and 10, there are just a couple of small things you could tidy up. I really like your entry to 5, just be mindful of your mid-corner speed. You're overcooking the last 1/3 of the corner it's causing the car to be pushed off of the right side of the track. That's tightening up 6 on you and causing you to bind the car up on track out. Keep that aggressive, inside, entry to 5 but be patient with the throttle and be sure to keep the car tight to the right and set up 6. Anything you give up in 5 will be more than made up if it affords a better exit from 6.

8, you're just a little early going in and the car is washing out. You have to get the car down into that pocket, your mirror should be practically scraping those tires.

Where you could make a significant gain is in 3 (based on the corner numbers on this map). After turn 2 you never get back over to the right side of the track. That's causing you to apex like 25' too early for 3. Pause your video at 2:18 and look at the car placement. It should be on the opposite side of the track at this point and you should be apexing at the last cone in that row.
joncowen wrote:Car is too damn heavy.
Deal with it. 8)
Thank you for the advice Mick! Although, the corner numbers you mention are a bit confusing. I memorized the map that was given to us. I attempted to attach it.

6 is the fast off camber right, and i need to be pushing harder through it. I see what you say about 7. It's hard to be patient. Maybe doing 6 better would help 7.
8 is the fast left, and again i need to push harder. Same for 10 (fast right). I'm braking into 10, which i know i don't need.

Great advice on turn 2. I think that may be the most important corner on the track. I'll try these things as soon as i'm back.

FredK
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by FredK » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 am

I did three consistently slow laps. :D

From other people's TT videos, it appears I'm not maximizing my speed through 3, then braking extremely early for 4 (because scared), am in maybe the wrong spot and going too slow for 6, going slowly through 8, and again in 10.

I tried adding a little speed in the open track and found about 1s just being less hesitant.

I can't believe I waited this long to get a camera, because this is my first TT video.

I can't wait to go back!
-Fred
1991 BMW 318is
SB #242

ED9man
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ED9man » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:47 am

breakaway500 wrote:Mick wrote: "8, you're just a little early going in and the car is washing out. You have to get the car down into that pocket, your mirror should be practically scraping those tires."

8..the new 7…. :wink: .. ah..Micks Pocket.. that pocket is a tough spot to hit,but it sure feels good when done right.Following Mick into the pocket really showed me the way. Great critique and even though it wasn't my video..I look and learn.

Mikhael…nice lap..still a bit left into turn 4 (old 5) and glad to see you nailing 9,bouncing off that left banking and dropping into the apex.You don't push half as much using that cushion shot technique and gives you great early throttle on for the straight. Congrats on a job well done. :D :sunny: :sunny:
Thanks Mark, I'm glad you were able to show me the right lines so well on Saturday!

dtlemoine
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by dtlemoine » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:38 am

1:51.825 on the AIM for lap 2. Still so much to learn...

phpBB [video]
Dave

E36 328is | SD #14