MA state inspection for track car

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

MA state inspection for track car

Post by joncowen » Wed May 20, 2015 10:30 am

I've had my E36 M3, in it's same form (pretty much), for several years, and have managed to keep it registered and inspected. But i recently moved, and just tried to get it inspected locally, and the guys wouldn't do it. They gave me crap about the lack of a back seat and belts. Luckily they told me about it before entering it into the system and failing it.

The car is an E36 M3 with roll bar, no back seats, and therefore, no back seat belts. Access to the back isn't even possible, as i have fixed back front seats. I maintained the factory front seat belts. I also have an aftermarket wheel (no air bag), but i don't have an airbag light, or any other lights on the dash. As far as i know, every other system they check works.

I know there are lots of other people who have cars set up like this, and manage to pass inspection. Any suggestions on where to go? Anyone own a shop that would inspect it for me? I live in Pepperell, but would travel.

Thanks
Jon

4EyedFoxbody
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: MA state inspection for track car

Post by 4EyedFoxbody » Wed May 20, 2015 3:31 pm

PM sent
John French #175 1985 Mustang GT - SB

Neonacr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by Neonacr » Thu May 21, 2015 5:14 am

I would suggest researching the regs. I had the same problem here in NY, but I went prepared as I suspected there might be a problem. NY inspection regulations state there must be a belt for each seating position, seat removed = no seating position. The service manager refused to inspect the car as he believed all original belts needed to be present. I pressed the issue, he went into his office and made a call, when he came out he said your right we will inspect the car. I would be surprised if MA regulations are not the same on this issue. If the law was that all original belts must be present an owner of a cargo van could add two additional rows of seats with no belts required, which would be a very unsafe hole in the regulations.

whymiata
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by whymiata » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Let us know how you make out. My solution has been to convert mine back to stock - air bags, seats, belts, etc. for the inspection. Would love to be able to avoid that if I could.

Dave
Dave
'96 Miata Blue - #109 T30

joncowen
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by joncowen » Fri May 22, 2015 5:51 am

whymiata wrote:Let us know how you make out. My solution has been to convert mine back to stock - air bags, seats, belts, etc. for the inspection. Would love to be able to avoid that if I could.

Dave
Good grief. I wouldn't have the patients for that.