Likely won't meet any of the current COM rules, but...

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Robbovius
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Likely won't meet any of the current COM rules, but...

Post by Robbovius » Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

I've got a custom-scratch built Morgan-style three wheeler powered by a 1980 Yamaha XS850 motorcycle engine, and have been looking around to find out whther there are any opportunities for me to put this thing on the track to explore its performance without running afoul of police or traffic. COM member horizonjob mentioned COM to me (we're both members of the locostUSA forums, and live in metrowest MA) so I thought I'd post here and see what the concensus was.

edited to ditch the attachments, the scroll button vieweing waqs not optimal, shall we say.

the frame is constructed similarly to what's known as a "Haynes Book Locost" triangulated truss frame of 1.0"sq .065 wall tubing. The roll hoop (which I understand might need to have an angular brace added for track duty) is 1.5 OD x .095 wall DOM. Roll hoop bracing is 1.0 x .125 wall DOM.

its got 3-point manual seatbelts, whichI understand would need to be upgraded to 5 point, perhaps.

here's a link to the build log if you're interested.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... start=1260

I've put 4700 miles on it since I got it officially inspected the first time in march of '14, have not especially babied it. I commute in it ever day its not raining, or threatening to rain.

I do understand that this vehicle is not only scratch-built but also falls on that odd line between cars and motorcycles (its registered in MA as a motorcycle), and so might be a bit more than the club would be able to comfortably accept in their run groups, but hey a guy can hope, right?

I am also of a mind to attend one of tyour track days, (perhaps at Thompson that's only a 40 minute drive from where I am,) so whoever might need to - given that I don't gert a flat out NO! right here - could give it the once over.

Oh and as far as my track driving experience, I do have some - I did a few Porsche club track schools back ion the mid 90s, autocrossed a camaro Z28 for a couple years between 1997-1999, race an alcohol briggs four stroke Kart between 1999-2000 (got two trophies!) did an arrive and drive kart endurance race around 2001, and other various F1 Boston races, though no leagues. I also flagged coners at a couple PCA club races in the late 80s was an SCCA member for about 5 years around my autocrossing time blah blah blah. so, I know just enough to know that I don't really know much.

so, thoughts, comments? stay off our track, GTFO? What the hell is that thing?

Robb

blazer178
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: Likely won't meet any of the current COM rules, but...

Post by blazer178 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Rob you should have an e-mail

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 pm

I don't think trikes can run with cars on any race track,at least that I know of..and I doubt bike clubs would allow them either. Maybe a trike racing club...if there are any..would allow it? There are a lot more trikes being built nowadays.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Robbovius
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by Robbovius » Wed May 20, 2015 7:57 am

Blazer, thanks I'll check the PA guys out.

Breakaway, yeah that's what I'm finding. I don't think any revers-trike motorsports-oriented clubs/enthusiast groups exist, unless I maybe create my own. Idid have a thought about the VSCCA, because I think they'll allow vingate morgan three wheelers, but I'm not sure.

anyway thanks for the responses!

I'll probably come out to a COM track day anyway just to check it out.

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 am

I have seen a three wheeled Morgan at a vintage event, and it looked like it handled as well as the other cars in its group. The UK Top Gear had one of the continuation Morgans featured on an episode and it looked quite safe. Given that, if it would be allowed at a COM event, you would need all the same safety requirements as a car prepared for the Super classes. SA helmet, 5pt harness, arm restraints, etc. If you want to pitch your vehicle, there is the BOD meeting tonight just of Rt3 in Bedford MA. Directions can be found on the home page.

Robbovius
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by Robbovius » Wed May 20, 2015 2:20 pm

JL thanks. can't make it out there tonight, but I'll join up and keep an eye on the schedule. I think that might be worth while. I've perused the rule book a bit, and I figure I'd have to meet all the open-car safety. I'd have to add anchors for the harness inner shoulder belt, and another under the seats for the sub-belt, both of which will require some disassembly, design and welding. Winter '15 project I'm thinking. though the Idea of going to BOD meeting and having them check the car out prior to any rework like the aforementioned would make sense.

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Fri May 22, 2015 10:52 pm

You might have better luck bringing it to an event to discuss the car and required changes. More rules folks and more time to review than at a BOD meeting.

Or reach out to rules@comscc.com
Might be able to setup a time/place to discuss on an off weekend.

Paul G.
Paul G.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Well, I dunno. I can't remember ever having a Cadillac at our events.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"