My return to COM after a (somewhat) long hiatus

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
eclip5e
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

My return to COM after a (somewhat) long hiatus

Post by eclip5e » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm

I read a recent post by mattd, and I have the same thing to say, so I'll just quote him with some minor edits.
I haven't been to a COM event since sometime in 2̶0̶0̶6̶ 2010, ever since I crashed my S̶p̶e̶c̶ ̶M̶i̶a̶t̶a̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶S̶C̶C̶A̶ ̶r̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶l̶e̶n̶ Subaru Impreza WRX at the Philo Hillclimb. In that time I was distracted by minor things like a new house purchase, h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶k̶i̶d̶s̶,̶ ̶getting married etc. etc. and finally after all of that time, I made my way back to the club, feeling particularly energized by a new track being built so close to home, and attended the Thompson event over the past couple of days along with three friends I brainwashed with much discussion about "this great club called COM!"

In short, it is great to be back. The club still has the same feel that has always made it unique - an amazing combination of driver education and instruction, along with an unmistakeable competitive spirit that fuels the time trial focus of the club. It also has a distinct new feel, too - it seems the leadership has done an excellent job in preserving what has always been great and making it even better. This event seemed to run really smoothly and efficiently - however I know behind the scenes it takes a lot to make it look that way.
I've been slowly rebuilding my race car, and its nearly done.
TL;DR see you all in the spring!
Ron. A
R̶A̶S̶p̶e̶c̶ ̶I̶m̶p̶r̶e̶z̶a̶ ̶W̶R̶X̶ ̶-̶ ̶#̶8̶6̶ 2004-2010
2017 Subaru BRZ Limited, 112T50

eclip5e
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: My return to COM after a (somewhat) long hiatus

Post by eclip5e » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:11 pm

PS.

Hoosier R6s or Toyo Proxes RR? I can't tell the difference from reading the specs:
* Hoosier R6 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs
* Toyo Proxes RR http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs

Proxes are cheaper.
Ron. A

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 pm

The RR will last longer, but are no where as fast as an R6 (and an R7 would be even more improvement).

I like the RR and run them sometimes on my miata. Some folks I know in SM run them 20-25 cycles and they're still OK.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:45 am

Oh sh..

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Welcome back! T70 can use some competition! :wink:
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

DeanSmith
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DeanSmith » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 pm

It is funny that I stumble on this post. I have been away from COM for a long long time. Two kids and 17 years later. I am not sure I would recognize anyone if I was to go to an event. My story is similar just the time frame goes much further back. My last event with COM was at Bridgehampton in My FC in 1997 or 98. It has been a long time since I have been to a track never mind actually walking in the paddock.

After the passing of my dear friend Red I lost interest in racing. It hurt to much. Red got me started with COM back in the late 1980's and with his passing going to the track hurt so I stopped going. But time has passed and I think I am ready to come back. At least I am ready to go to an event and watch for a while. I can bring my son (he is now 9) and maybe we can start our own adventure.

So while we sit here with 4 feet of snow on the ground I realized that I really miss COM. I hope to at least get up to an event at NH (you still run there yes?) and see what is what.

Respectfully

Dean Smith

eclip5e
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by eclip5e » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 am

DeanSmith wrote:It is funny that I stumble on this post. I have been away from COM for a long long time. Two kids and 17 years later. I am not sure I would recognize anyone if I was to go to an event. My story is similar just the time frame goes much further back. My last event with COM was at Bridgehampton in My FC in 1997 or 98. It has been a long time since I have been to a track never mind actually walking in the paddock.

After the passing of my dear friend Red I lost interest in racing. It hurt to much. Red got me started with COM back in the late 1980's and with his passing going to the track hurt so I stopped going. But time has passed and I think I am ready to come back. At least I am ready to go to an event and watch for a while. I can bring my son (he is now 9) and maybe we can start our own adventure.

So while we sit here with 4 feet of snow on the ground I realized that I really miss COM. I hope to at least get up to an event at NH (you still run there yes?) and see what is what.

Respectfully

Dean Smith
Its always nice to see old newcomers.

I will gladly defeat you. Anyday. Anytime. Come at me bro.
Ron. A

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 pm

DeanSmith wrote:

Respectfully

Dean Smith
We sure do Dean. Welcome back. The schedule is on our website here: http://www.comscc.org/events/
Looking forward to meeting you. If you have any other questions let me know.

Ron, can't wait to see you back on track!
Paul G.

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by kfoote » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:19 pm

DeanSmith wrote:It is funny that I stumble on this post. I have been away from COM for a long long time. Two kids and 17 years later. I am not sure I would recognize anyone if I was to go to an event. My story is similar just the time frame goes much further back. My last event with COM was at Bridgehampton in My FC in 1997 or 98. It has been a long time since I have been to a track never mind actually walking in the paddock.

Respectfully

Dean Smith
Things that make me feel old...

There are still probably a few of us that you'll recognize, myself and Bruce Allen still both run occasionally and would have been at that last Bridgehampton event that you were at.
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

DeanSmith
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DeanSmith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:33 am

Kevin

It would be great to see you and Bruce A. Are any of the other "old Guard" still around? I actually heard from Chong a couple years back. How about Grove Marcy? Anyway I will try to get over to an event to just show my son around and see how he takes to it. May by some one could give him and I (if there is room) a ride around the track. (Again if that sort of thing still occurs) Does anyone remember the relay races we use to do? Just complete craziness. Or the car that ended up in the center pond and we are all standing around trying to figure out who is going to dive in to hook it up to the wrecker.

Good times. Some really good times!!!!!
Last edited by DeanSmith on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am

Hi Dean!
Still enough old timers around. For a while we were known as the Club of Old Men but in recent years a number of smart, dedicated young men have arrived to lead the club to new excellence. We reinstituted the Relay Rally and it runs like clockwork. I brought Dr. Peckerman in to a Board meeting to advise. He left in a huff saying the "club is run by a bunch of accountants!". Actually it is run by programmers. Thank God.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

kfoote
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by kfoote » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:15 am

Grove isn't involved with COM anymore, but he still does occasionally pop up on this board occasionally. I don't know if he's still running, but Frank Perron has run a couple of events in the last few years and posts here occasionally. Christopher Tier has occasionally run in the last couple of years or so as well.

Among other people that I see regularly but don't run with COM any more are the Miskoes. Bill and Matt run various club races regularly. My dad has moved out west, but does some club events there as well as running in some of the SCCA endurance races with Matt Miskoe and Christopher Tier. Dan Malek has moved out west as well, but is also a part of that crew for the endurance stuff.

I don't run as many events as I used to due primarily to work conflicts, but I am planning to run the first Palmer event and the Mosport event this year.
Kevin Foote
#64 SB Nissan 350Z
1998-2003 Chief of Tech
1998-2002 BOD member
SSB Track Record Holder at LRP

DeanSmith
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DeanSmith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am

What about the other Dean?

I also had moved on from COM around 1998 and ran endurance stuff with Bill, Roger and Matt and severial others in SCCA and EMRA. We did many 4,6,8 and 12 hour races. Even a 24 hour out in Ohio. What an adventure that was!!!! Then as many people say life catches up with you and there just is no time. That and with Red Passing and everything else life tosses at you COM got put to the back burner.

Maybe I can ask Roger if I can pull out his MR2 and sign up for a event as it has a current SCCA Tech stickern. The only problem is no passenger seat so having an instructor ride with me to get signed off again may be an issue with that car. Actually I still have my 924s that I use to run at COM but it may be in need of a motor. I started it last weekend and there was no oil pressure. Hopefully it has just lost prime. The rest of the car is still as it was when I last ran it with COM. (I think the belts may be a tad out of date)

And for memories
Red getting the award for racing in the face of adversity (shared with the other guy in the photo that I don't remember his name)

Red and I messing around with a circa 1960's racing helmet that we wanted to see if we could get through tech at COM (Circa 1996 or 7)

DeanSmith
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DeanSmith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:54 am

Speaking of Grove. I had his old car (1986 Gold FC RX7 sport model). Anyone know where that car is? I would like to get that car back if it was sitting out behind someone's garage. I sold it to a guy up on the north shore and now have lost track of who it was. He has / had a shop that was rather well respected and he was a rotary nut himself so he catered to those cars but would work on anyone's car.

Here is a photo of it when I had it and ran it with COM. Ya that guy next to it is me (with hair and about 30 lbs lighter) LOL This was back in 1998 at a test and tune day at NHIS

Another with the FC Turbo driveline conversion done (5 lugs) Also note the rear wing. This was kind of a unique part that I think Grove had ordered from Japan from Mazda specially for this car.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 am

FYI: There's a photo archive on the site. Unfortunately it only goes back to 1997.
http://www.comscc.org/about-com/photo-archive/