NHIS track etiquette question

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

NHIS track etiquette question

Post by Georgethefierce » Tue May 30, 2006 7:55 am

yesterday I ran with SCCA in a PDE with a bunch of other COM members and lost power coming down from 9 into ten... what is the proper way to safely get back to pit lane? I tried to signal the cars behind me the best I could that I was without power and tried to pull off the racing line to the left (trying to coast back to pit lane) now several of the cars that ended up bunched behind me mentioned that they didn't know what to do, I assume it's correct to pass a car that isn't under power in a non-passing zone, though on this section of track it could get a bit hairy.

I'm almost thinking it was best to pull off into the infield and wait, even though I was able to make it back to pit lane (nothing was leaking, it was an electrical issue)
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

swinecanfly
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by swinecanfly » Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am

I was two cars behind you. When you slowed by the turtle in 10 and put your fist out the window I was prepared to go around you to the right as you went down towards the track out of 10.

If I was the car right behind you thats what I would have done. I think what ended up holding up me and the cars behind me was that the car in between you and I did not go around you when you made the pit in signal.

By the way - no big deal for me - we were held up for a few seconds. Its not like you were the other car in our run group that couldn't get his hands off the wheel long enough to point us by.

Tsurara
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Tsurara » Tue May 30, 2006 9:44 am

I was behind you also, and it wasn't a big deal for me either, I think you did the right thing. I do think a few cars were confused if they should pass you or not.
Charles K.
#13 NER SCCA T2 Mitsubishi Evo 9

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 am

I think where it really would have helped is if they had used yellow flags during the event. That way, people hauling ass out of 10 would know there was trouble ahead, and that it might be okay passing you.

I saw that you had your fist out the window and also were trying to wave people over. If it were a COM event, we'd all have gone around you.

As far as what you should have done, I think you did the right thing by trying to keep the car toodling towards the pits. However, if you had cut out of power on 9, that would have caused all sorts of issues without the yellow flags being used. In that case, it might have been safer to pull off-track and wait for the session to finish.

This wouldn't even be an issue at a COM event.
Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

JayBay
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by JayBay » Tue May 30, 2006 10:46 am

That was me, directly behind Jason in the Miata. In hindsight, I should've just run around you on the inside of 9. As we crested the hill I knew immediately you had a problem, but with all the silly rules (and no flags!) I wasn't quite sure what to do. They REALLY should've had somebody waving yellow from the treehouse to let other cars coming up through 8 there was a problem ahead. That could've been a very bad situation, I'm glad everybody handled it well. Another thumbs down for the SCCA on the decision not to use yellow flags.

JackFFR1846
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by JackFFR1846 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am

In boating (I just took a course, so it's stuck in my head), there's a rule that you do whatever is necessary to avoid a collision....including breaking the established rules.

On the track, you sort of have to do this and break rules to avoid bigger problems. If you didn't, technically, if someone spun in a turn, went off the track (say that GTF went to check out the styrofoam in 6 again) and was way off the track stopped, you couldn't legally pass in a turn. Would anyone really stop there? No. At least I hope not.

Doesn't sound like there was any big problem here either.

They didn't have flaggers???

jack

Tsurara
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Tsurara » Tue May 30, 2006 11:22 am

JackFFR1846 wrote: They didn't have flaggers???

jack
Only black flags.
Charles K.
#13 NER SCCA T2 Mitsubishi Evo 9

JayBay
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by JayBay » Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Jack - Strangely enough we were told at the driver's meeting there will only be black flags. No yellows. No reds. If we saw black, time to come in. That was all the flaggers would be equipped with. That left a few of us scratching our heads, saying "but what if...", and a couple of spins in turn 3 left those entering the chute with no early warning.

Also - there were no flaggers in turn 6 or turn 10.

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Tue May 30, 2006 1:04 pm

JayBay wrote:Jack - Strangely enough we were told at the driver's meeting there will only be black flags. No yellows. No reds. If we saw black, time to come in. That was all the flaggers would be equipped with. That left a few of us scratching our heads, saying "but what if...", and a couple of spins in turn 3 left those entering the chute with no early warning.

Also - there were no flaggers in turn 6 or turn 10.

they also said all passing is to be done on the left ........mr. right point by! :D
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

JayBay
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by JayBay » Tue May 30, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely guilty of that. I'm so used to pointing people by over the roof, I helped a couple people earn black flags for that move.

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jeffreystrong » Wed May 31, 2006 4:42 pm

JayBay wrote:I helped a couple people earn black flags for that move.
Guilty :twisted:

I'm hoping I wasn't the guy also guilty of not giving timely point by's. White SE-R. I know held up Craig on a lap or 2, it was ackward only allowing passes on drivers side left.

ctier240
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by ctier240 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm with Jack.
In boating (i have a captians license) the rules hold only until there might be a collision. Then the stand on vessel should give way. It funny how it works but I have spent many days on the water and it always works for me because MOST POEPLE DON'T KNOW THE "RULES OF THE ROAD". That's what they call it on the water. I guess that's even funnier. :lol:

ctier240
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by ctier240 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Sorry again for interupting I know I don't post very often but.
I feel very strongly that "no one should be counting on the flags to be safe" What I mean is that they (the flags) are there to help and are not a defense for bad or unsafe driving. You should always be in control of your car and be aware that something might be wrong on the track in front of you. Because a spin did not have a yellow waving flag does not mean that you can hit the guy and not be at fault. Sorry but that's the way it is on the track. Besides when a spin happens there is a time frame for flagging and radio calls and everything else before a waving yellow actually appears.

This is just part of driving on the track and it is the responsiblilty of everyone to drive safe and not over their ability.

I will log off now
Bye
Christopher