Accusump?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Accusump?

Post by jadams » Tue May 02, 2006 11:55 pm

Since I am in the process of building up my new engine, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add an oil accumulator to avoid oil starvation. What are your thoughts on these systems? Good idea? or not needed?
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Accusump

Post by grovefromnh » Wed May 03, 2006 5:12 am

First and foremost for a GM engine install a baffeled road race oil pan. The Accusump system is a good addition. Don't forget an oil cooler also. Good Luck!

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:05 am

A big YES to an Accusump. Not even thinking of oil starvation, because a good oil pan will take care of that- not having to start the motor "dry" with no oil pressure is why I have used accusumps in every one of my track cars.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

irondragon

Post by irondragon » Wed May 03, 2006 10:25 am

An Accusump will be well worth the $$ you pay for it. Baffled pans are fine but in some corners the oil pickup may still dry up. Also there is the general benefit of having more oil in the system without having it in the pan to slop around.
Bill Miskoe - Iron Dragon Racing.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed May 03, 2006 1:11 pm

I weighed the option of going with an Accusump, or a larger oil pan with good baffling, and decided to go with the larger pan.

The deciding factor was the extra plumbing/wiring. Yes, I know it's only one line but I like to keep things as simple as possible. Every line, elbow, adapter and fitting is another part with the risk of failure.

In my opinion, if you can effectively prevent starvation with baffling and a larger pan that's the way to go. That simplicity is more appealing to me than the upside of Accusump pre oiling.

my .$02

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Wed May 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Canton in their catalog, recommends an accusump to be used in conjunction with thier oil pan in all wet sump road race aplications.

When it comes right down to it, wet sumps suck in road racing apps. That is why I am going to dry sump in my new motor.

Jonathan
900 Monte Carlo PA

jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Thanks

Post by jadams » Wed May 03, 2006 6:39 pm

Thanks for all your opinions.....I have taken all into consideration and decided to get both a pan and an accusump. Placed the order an hour ago. For the price, it seems definately worth the peace of mind, especially coming off from an engine self destruction recently. Don't want to be there again.
I got a call today, and my shortblock will be ready on Friday, so i will have to go pick it up and the project will begin.

Wish me luck. Thanks again.
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80