I love COM and i want to get my GF into it as well

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

BoostedE36
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

I love COM and i want to get my GF into it as well

Post by BoostedE36 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:22 am

As the title says I've fallen in love with COM and the friendships i've made. My GF and i are thril junkies, skydiving, speed extt.. She just bought a 08 Altima Coupe (6pack) 6-speed / 3.5V 6 with 36k on it. I would LOVE for her to get into hitting the track, is is possible for me to sign her up with out her knowing and then give it to her as maybe a birthday gift?
also question 2. The Alti coupe is a very fast nimble car, but if she is afraid to use her own (b/c she owes 20K on it) would it be possible for her to use my DD (S60R) ?

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: I love COM and i want to get my GF into it as well

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 am

I don't see why you could not sign her up and surprise her,and Volvos are just as welcome as BMWs.. :D :sunny: I'll bet that Altima would be a blast!
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am

Welcome to COM. Yes you can register your GF for COM, you will need to do two things: create an online account and pay for her 2012 dues.

You will need personal info for your GF to create her account. You can specify a fake (or your own) email address to prevent her from getting email about COM membership or payments. Your GF can update her email and other profile info after her BD "surprise".

The online account is free but 2012 dues are $35. Both things can be done at the COM membership and registration site, http://comscc.carclubreg.com.

Your GF can share or drive any car that passes safety inspection. See the COM web site for FAQs and other information about member benefits.

See you at the track!

BoostedE36
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by BoostedE36 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks i'm going to be looking into that! i kind've dabbled around the topic with her to gauge her reaction, not good. She is too afraid to hurt her car.. she said she may do a Autox, but even then she wants to clear braw the whole dam car. I'm sure if i just say here your signed up (in different words ofcourse) she may have a different additude towards it.
Thanks again!

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Maybe you could try the ride along program where she can go out and be a passenger in an instructor driven car for a session. See what she think. If its positive go buy a track car you both can share and risk at the track. Plenty of cheap options.
Paul G.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 pm

^ Excellent suggestion,Paul.! Inexpensive way to get some seat time on track at speed.. :D :sunny:

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm

And be sure to introduce her to the number of women who are members. Liz, my bride, is a good driver, Racheal drives her neat Mini, Jeff Wasilko's GF Julie will be out in a Miata this season...many more. Strength and comfort in numbers, right? :)
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

nateh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by nateh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:16 pm

There's even a chance that Alison will make her long-awaited return.
Nate Hine
1985 driversupply Frankenspec
1995 Spec Miata #47(1) white-blue

Stynger
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Stynger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

nateh wrote:There's even a chance that Alison will make her long-awaited return.
:D :D
Les.

COM Instructor

NA Miata D-TYPE

Drive it like you stole it!

BoostedE36
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by BoostedE36 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 am

well doesnt look good, last night i re uped all my memberships and i added her to a few that i use for autoX i told her what i was doing and asked her if she would like to choose her car numbers. i instantly got a :evil: look. She has been to 4 or so autox's last year with me and got more seat time than i did, so i figured she would be excited.. nope she didnt seem happy and i instantly got a "i'm not racing" . i dont even know why. I'll keep wroking at it, but if i hafto force her to autox i highly doubt i'll get her onto a racetrack. Who knows though, maybe after eating a few cones she'll get the bug. :roll:
Thanks for the imput guys! you'll def be seeing me this season, and she'll be there for at least a few ridealongs!
See you all soon!

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 am

Autocross is a LOT different than driving on a race track! At a well run a/x event,you may get 15-20 minutes of actual "at speed" seat time,and lots of standing around time.
Even a one day race track event will allow over a full hour of behind the wheel excitement ,and NO standing around (unless of course,you want to.. :wink: ! )
If she still gives you atitude,leave her at home...or dump her.. :shock: .. :lol: :sunny:

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Les Said:

NA Miata D-TYPE

A Miata D-Type?
jaguar-d-type-0.jpg
jaguar-d-type-0.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 6225 times

As opposed to a Miata C-Type?

[attachment=0]Jaguar-C-Type-fa-lr-1280x960.jpg
Attachments
Jaguar-C-Type-fa-lr-1280x960.jpg
Jaguar-C-Type-fa-lr-1280x960.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed

BoostedE36
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by BoostedE36 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 pm

breakaway500 wrote:Autocross is a LOT different than driving on a race track! At a well run a/x event,you may get 15-20 minutes of actual "at speed" seat time,and lots of standing around time.
Even a one day race track event will allow over a full hour of behind the wheel excitement ,and NO standing around (unless of course,you want to.. :wink: ! )
If she still gives you atitude,leave her at home...or dump her.. :shock: .. :lol: :sunny:
Yes i do know that track time is different than autox, but i figured getting her behind the wheel of any event would be just a start..
the thing is, she is very capiable of a/x OR track. i just think she is nervous, like the first day at camp when you were young and you are expected to do all thease activities with people you dont know. LOL
But like i said, thank you for the great ideas!!

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 am

I know you know the difference..but she doesn't..yet. :D :sunny:

CP
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by CP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Get her into a car for a ride-along while you get your daily sessions in your own run group. Go from there. You can't force her to do something that she doesn't want to do and if her first experience is a bad one, she's likely done forever.
-Cy
99 Spec Miata (SM/STU/STL/EP)
2011, 2013, 2014 NER STU Champion