New Track planned for Palmer MA?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
dinoracer
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

New Track planned for Palmer MA?

Post by dinoracer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 pm

I just got an email from a friend of mine who runs an ITB car. He's heard that the NER SCCA has passed papers on a property in Palmer MA, and is beginning the process of building a new track ! :D

Anyone here have any additional info they can share?
Tom Cannon

COM Chief Steward (fka Chief of Operations, Chief of Tech, assistant BBQ cook, Club Secretary....I been around a while)
#26 - 2000 Black Miata (sold) - co-driver of the orange 318ti .. thanks Scott!

TTA89

Post by TTA89 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 am

A track in Mass?

Did Hell just freeze over? That will never happen here. :(

KeithHammitte

Post by KeithHammitte » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 am

here is the link: http://palmermotorsportspark.com/

SCCA has been working hard on this for two or three years. The announcement just came a week or two ago.

Keith H

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

new track

Post by boltonite » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:18 am

I believe Rob Goldfarb was a driving force behind the NER SCCA's search for a new track and led the committee that has been quietly at work on this for years. Now that land has been acquired and the local planning board engaged town meetings should get lively . . . wonder if the meetings are broadcast on local cable?
F

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: new track

Post by enjoythemusic » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:03 am

Looks interesting. i know Club Motorsports had various hoops to jump through, but they say tarmac will begin being laid down this year, with track opening in 2007.

Not sure about MA laws, but Tax-ichussettes could be a nightmare. Still, would be GREAT to see another track in N.E., especially since Lime Rock is asking for what some feel is insane $$$$ to rent their track out nowadays.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Palmer Motorsports Park

Post by brucesallen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:56 am

This is great news. The NER SCCA New Track Committee has been in place many years without result. It looks like they have finally taken direct (and secret) action. This pending sale was not reported in the recent NER Pit Talk newsletter.
If you have followed the year after year delays of Club Motrosports you will know how hard it is to overcome just a handful of NIMBYs. Valley Motorsports Park is to be in Tamworth, NH, really in the boonies next to a saw mill supported by the town Selectmen in a town with no zoning yet NIMBYs have caused interminable delays and construction is still on hold. COM has a $1,000 deposit with CMI for a track date in 2004. Carried over to 2005. Carried over to 2006...
Let's hope a project in Massachusetts will not Live Free and Die.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:25 pm

I live the next town over from Palmer in Belchertown, and the track made the front page of the Springfield Metro East Edition Newspaper. Paper said the track will be 2 miles long and should open in the fall of 2007. Also said 12 buildings and a 1/2 mile driveway in to track. Asking price for land was 2.5 million dollars.

How great that would be for me . :D

Lets hope it gets past the town fathers. One of my partners in an airplane has something to do with the town .I'll ask him what he knows.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:09 am

DanDarcy wrote:I live the next town over from Palmer in Belchertown, and the track made the front page of the Springfield Metro East Edition Newspaper. Paper said the track will be 2 miles long and should open in the fall of 2007. Also said 12 buildings and a 1/2 mile driveway in to track. Asking price for land was 2.5 million dollars.

How great that would be for me . :D

Lets hope it gets past the town fathers. One of my partners in an airplane has something to do with the town .I'll ask him what he knows.
Dan, how far apart are Belchertown and Athol ? I really don't need to know this- I just love saying those names . :lol:

Do you have plenty of room to put us up for an event ? How about a pool ? Or a pond "the pond would be good for us "...sorry I just had a Caddyshack moment.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:44 pm

Scott your an Athol --- I just had to say that :oops:

Have you been snooping around my house ? How did you know I have a swimming pool , spa-hot tub and a 5 acre pond ? I even have a row boat on the pond to go fishing . I have plenty of room for trucks with trailers and camping. My driveway is about 1200 feet so you can even test a car on it. If the Palmer track opens you are welcome to camp in my field , fish in my pond, swim in my pool, and if you let me pass you , you can even use the hot tub.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:12 pm

I not so sure about that letting the town know the Mustang crowd will be coming...we want the place to open don't we :lol: What kind of grass you got growing near that pond.....

xstar
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by xstar » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Funny, I just met a member of the NER LLC board yesterday karting at Racing America. We traded contact information and will be keeping in touch.

I'll post more information when I have it.

Alex
#423 ST3 1996 Sumazdaru Miata STi

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:39 pm

Palmer is a Mustang - Corvette kind of town. Not a Miata - Bmw-etc. kind of town. We Mustang drivers will be welcomed like Nascar driver in the South.

I used to keep an airplane at the Palmer Airport , which has just closed, and flew over the area of the proposed track all the time. It is hilly , like Lime Rock , and the proposed track is 2 miles long and shaped some what like a "T". Access is not too far off of exit 8 of the Mass Pike. It should make a great place for an interesting track.
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jeffreystrong » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 pm

xstar wrote:Funny, I just met a member of the NER LLC board yesterday karting at Racing America. We traded contact information and will be keeping in touch.
I'm guessing you ran into Mark?

xstar
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by xstar » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:36 am

Yes. I ran into Mark and Nathan.

Not literally tho. Georgethefierce took care of running into people while in karts all day that day. :D
#423 ST3 1996 Sumazdaru Miata STi

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:44 am

xstar wrote:Yes. I ran into Mark and Nathan.

Not literally tho. Georgethefierce took care of running into people while in karts all day that day. :D

:punt: