harness vs stock belt with cg-lock

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

harness vs stock belt with cg-lock

Post by cuda6666 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I drive a stock sedan with no roll bar and stock belts. I'd like to upgrade my seat belt system to keep my butt in place during hard cornering. I've been advised that a 5-point harness without a roll bar is a bad idea and that I should get a CG-Lock instead. In case you don't know, a CG-Lock is a $40 device that allows you to cinch down the lap portion of the belt while allowing the shoulder stap to move as normal.

Any comments?

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:00 pm

cuda6666
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cuda6666 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have explained that the advice I got emphasized that any restraint system that holds you upright in the seat is dangerous without a roll bar. Reason being, you can't duck and your spine becomes the roll bar. The info on the Schroth system does not state one way or another whether it is intended for cars with roll bars.

ryanthieme
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ryanthieme » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:38 pm

I liked my CG-Lock, but traded up to harnesses because my upper body would flail back and forth when turning. Never really needed it engaged for street driving, so if you can live with the constant tossing back and forth, I'd say go for it. If not, then I'd save the $40 and put it toward a harness/rollbar setup.

I just reread this and want to clarify. I used a CG-Lock at a few autocrosses before upgrading to harnesses to limit the upper body instability. It was a month or two after that before I ever tried a track event. Personally, I need to be fixed in my seat for anything more than around town driving and the CG-Lock just didn't do it for me. YMMV.

~ryan