Lap Timers?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Lap Timers?

Post by jadams » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:14 pm

What brand lap timer(s) do you all recommend? Should I purchase a complete system, or would it be okay to use other peoples transmitters that are placed in the pit area?

Thanks,
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

ryanthieme
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ryanthieme » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:05 pm

Well, most folks seem to use the Longacre Hot Lap timer, but I would just get the in-car receiver. There's usually a transponder already on the track and having more than one can screw up the readouts.

~ryan

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 pm

I have never had to put up my transmitter/tripod- there is always one up...I use the hot lap. At some point I will upgrade to a GPS system.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

jadams
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by jadams » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks a lot for the info. I will check into it. Sounds like I don't necessarily need the transmitter at least.

Thanks again,
Joel Adams
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Class T80

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:24 pm

I really like my Ultra Lap: http://www.helmetharbor.com/racing/xt_r ... pening.htm

There is usually at least one ultra lap timer in pit row too.

Bane of Tires

Post by Bane of Tires » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:52 pm

offcamber09 wrote:I have never had to put up my transmitter/tripod- there is always one up...I use the hot lap. At some point I will upgrade to a GPS system.
Do GPS systems not need a transmitter? Are they actually accurate?

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Bane of Tires wrote:
offcamber09 wrote:I have never had to put up my transmitter/tripod- there is always one up...I use the hot lap. At some point I will upgrade to a GPS system.
Do GPS systems not need a transmitter? Are they actually accurate?
No transmitter needed and all I have read points to them being very accurate to the point of being able to use data aquisition features as well as lap time, track mapping and segment times.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

BrakeL8r
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by BrakeL8r » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:39 am

I have a GPS-based system (Race Technologies DL90) and have used it for a few years. The reason I like it is because I can get segment times from it. After a run I download the data to a laptop and procedss it. The software will display a track map, and I can define my own segments, and it will compute segment times. Then I can see for each lap how much variance on these segment times I am having, and that tells me which corners I am the least consistent in and need the most work on.

The only drawback to my system is that I don't have any instantaneous feedback on laptime. I have to wait until I get back to download the data and post-process it. Their newer system solves that problem I believe.

Check out http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2 ... ts_en.html.

--Michael
#176 ST4 Miata

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:38 pm

I have a gps system. I dont really like it. It provides litle value unless you are going to bring a laptop with you and look after each session. Its just a PITA. A simple lap timer is more useful at the track for the average guy. Just my opinion here.. but it is neat to look afterwards at track data, corner speeds etc. I'd say only if you are really hardcore should you get into a GPS system.

johngeorge
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by johngeorge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:18 am

Does COM have an AMB system? How do they do lap timing for the TTs?
I am trying to figure out if my DisplayIT - In-car Laptimer Display will work.

Thanks,
John

BrakeL8r
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

re: timing for time trials

Post by BrakeL8r » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am

johngeorge wrote:Does COM have an AMB system? How do they do lap timing for the TTs?
Timing and Scoring uses good 'ole fashioned stopwatches and clipboards. It works, and has proven to be just as accurate (and more foolproof) as an electronic system that the club either owns or borrowed (sorry -- can't remember -- ask Dan Malek for the details).

--Michael
ST4 Miata #176