newbie car prep - 2001 BMW 540 w/6 speed

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
peterfontana
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

newbie car prep - 2001 BMW 540 w/6 speed

Post by peterfontana » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:20 pm

I have a friend who is considering joining COM and he was curious about what he might need to do to get his 2001 BMW 540 ready for an event. I suggested having things checked out to be sure everything is solid (like wheel bearings, etc) and getting some suitable brake pads and a helmet, but I'm not sure if anything else will need attention. He has a set of suitable tires with less than 1/2 tread remaining, so I think he's ok there. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:43 pm

Also bleed brakes with fresh fluid. Check all fluid levels. My experience with BMWs on track is that stock pads are fine for newbie. Just make sure he has at least 1/2 thickness left. Helmet must meet rule book specs.

And don't forget to empty out all the loose junk in the car and trunk. At the track even the throw rugs, radar detector, pencils and change and ALL loose items must be removed. Bring a quart of oil.

5 point seat belts for driver and passenger are a great idea. I think HMS sells ones for BMWs that do not interfere with stock belts.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

peterfontana
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by peterfontana » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:49 pm

Bruce - thanks for the info.

deimos
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by deimos » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 am

I've actually taken a 540 out on track with COM. Make sure they have fresh oil, new bmw oil filter, fresh brake fluid and bleed, and lots of patience. The car will understeer like crazy at 3 and 6. The stock pads will do ok for their first time out. Given how heavy the car is, they'll want to get a step up from stock if they keep doing events. The stock rotors are fine for track events. The car will lean into turns, but once you get it set, it handles them quite well If they do get serious about track days, I probably have some left over track pads for a 540 they're welcome to use/keep. Good luck!
Andrew
'91 Sentra with wicked cool tint

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:13 am

You may also wnat to take a look at the BMW clubs for track time and info;

http://www.whitemtn-bmwclub.org/index.html

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/