New Guy

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

New Guy

Post by rwlbjr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking about joining COM and wanted to talk to some of the people involved. The events look like fun and I'd love to come watch, maybe drive, sometime. I drive a 89 Dodge Daytona CS. factory intercooled chrysler 2.2 turbo with a Manual transmission. It has a ported head, stage 3 calibration, manual boost controler set to 15 psi, & 2.5 inch "unrestricted" mandrel bent exhaust. I work at NAPA and know how to turn a wrench. I love cars, I own five. If you have any insight about the club or events it would be great.
Thanks
Rich

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: New Guy

Post by 962porsche » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:05 pm

we are glad to see that your interested in comscc . i joind comscc a year and a half ago and now go to every event . i also run with 7 other clubs and comscc is the best one by far . there is a mentoring program for new comers to track driving . you may want to check that out ? the person that they set you up with as a mentor can walk you thru step by step to get you started .

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm

You should have a blast with that car. It would run as SPB. Check the rule book to ensure you have the right safety equipment. Sign up for the next event for the $100 off newbie price!! A mentor can talk you through things before hand. Your instructor will be assigned a week ahead of the event and can help guide you as well. If you still are leery of entereing, come up to the event, look around, attend some classroom and get a ride-along. Ride-alongs require you to fill out the entry and the price includes your membership.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by rwlbjr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:11 pm

What kind of safety equipment would I need thay is'nt OE on my Daytona? I looked over the rules but didn't see anything. I already asked about seatbelts and was told stock was fine.
Thanks Again
Rich LeBlanc

The Replacement for Displacement is Forced Induction

89 Dodge Daytona AGS

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 pm

stock belts are ok but i would never use them on the track . you should think about safty first ! but a good set of belts will also help you with your lap times . keeping you butt planted in the seat is just one way to drop lap times .

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:08 am

Rich,
The stock belts and seats are passable for SPB. Sure, it would be better if you had harnesses, but to mount them you would need a roll bar and race seats that are compatible with them. Probably not something you want to get into for the last event of the season. Since you've shown interest in a track car that's listed in the classifieds, it looks like you do take this stuff seriously but may not want to convert the Daytona into a dedicated track car.

To answer your question.
- Your car should have securely mounted seats and seat belts that are in good working order
- You'll need a helmet that is rated M2000 (SA2000 recommended) or newer.
- Long sleeved cotton shirt (no synthetics that could melt in a fire) and long pants
- Check to make sure everything under the hood is buttoned up and safe. No leaks, nothing that could spill on the track. Also make sure your battery is securely mounted.
- Make sure your brake pads have enough meat to withstand a day of beating on them, and that your rotors are in good shape. Same goes for tires.
- That's about it. Have fun.

See you at the track
-M

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 am

Don't forget proper closed shoes with laces. Loafers slip off too easily, and air Jesus sandals won't cut it either. :)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by rwlbjr » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 am

thanks, I'll leave the work boots and the pumps at home then. :D
Rich LeBlanc

89 Dodge Daytona AGS

rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by rwlbjr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:38 am

Sorry to keep asking so many questions. But how much does it usualy cost to attend one of the NHMS events?
Thanks again,
Rich LeBlanc

89 Dodge Daytona AGS

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 am

One day is $225. Second day is about the same.There is a promo going where you get a $100 rebate on your first event. I don't know if you have to sign up for both days to get the rebate,though. link to COM home .. http://comscc.org/
Asking questions is how we learn :wink:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:55 am

never feal bad about asking questions . thats a hard one to answer ! it cost every one of us a deferent amount . if i add in the cost of the up keep on my tow velicle and trailer for me to do a two day week end NHMS event its about 900 dollars . i did save money by staying in the dodge lodge and not at the red roof inn . on the other hand a two day event during work week cost me a hell of a lot more becouse i have to close the shop .so if i add in the money i'm losing then its thousends .

rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by rwlbjr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:24 pm

I work for NAPA so the car up-keep is cheep, I have family in southern NH so I have a place to stay. I just need to know how nice I'll have to be to the wife in the weeks before the event... She already thinks I'm nuts.
Thanks,
Rich LeBlanc

89 Dodge Daytona AGS

rwlbjr
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by rwlbjr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:00 pm

One more question while I'm at it, How much track time do we get at an event? Is it two full days of driving? or two to three runs each? And what are you doing when your not driving?
Thanks again,
Rich LeBlanc

89 Dodge Daytona AGS

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Figure on four 22 minute windows of opportunity (your run group) for day one,two 22 minute windows on day two, 4 laps all to yourself,mostly.. (time trials) and then...an hour or more of open track after time trials on day two. Bring extra fuel or pay 9 bucks/gal. at the track. Make sure your tires can go the distance,and your brake pads. It is amazing how fast tires,fuel and brakes dissappear on track... :shock:

When I'm not driving,I like to harass the other participants with endless questions and mooch food and beverage. I also like to tinker/break/fix my car.Sometimes I go out and bother the corner workers. It's fun to move their flags around and block their view of the track.Ok,I made up that last part... :lol:

There's lots to do when you are not on track.You will be attending classroom and it is a very good idea to watch some of the other drivers on track.You will learn a lot by observing. Getting a ride along with an instructor will really open your eyes to what it is all about. :sunny:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:04 pm