FS: '89 325ix coupe - CLASSY winter beater

THE place to sell it, buy it, or give it away.
RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

FS: '89 325ix coupe - CLASSY winter beater

Post by RyanC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Up for sale is my '89 BMW 325iX coupe, diamantschwarz on tan. I think am the third owner, and have had the car since November 2008. Reason for sale is that I am moving to the NYC area shortly, and if I can only keep one car it will be my M3. Car is currently located in Cambridge, MA.

Specs:
Diamantschwarz metallic
5 spd manual
Coupe
tan comfort interior
OBC
manual sunroof
power windows
stock 15 inch basketweave wheels with recent Bridgestone AS tires (tread is like new).
ellipsoid headlights
2.5l I6 168hp
All wheel drive

Upgrades/non-stock items:
MarkD 91 octane chip
McIntosh CD player
US Amps tube amplifier
3 way separates in rear deck
Alcantara shift boot and e-brake boot
classic 80's style colgan hood bra (pop the collar on your Polo and rock it old school!)

Notable maintenance:
I just spent $2800 on a big service this spring (DSG did the work)
timing belt and water pump < 3k miles ago
New Bilstein HDs on all corners
New OEM passenger side front strut housing
New OEM front strut mounts
New OEM rear shock mounts
All fluids changed < 1k miles ago
New Bosch alternator and all belts < 3k miles ago
New OEM thermostat < 1k miles ago
Head rebuilt by PO ~ 60k miles ago
Trans replaced by PO ~ 30k miles ago

Extras:
Includes 16 inch snow tires on a set of Sport Edition F5 wheels. Tires have lots of tread left.

I bought the car with 258k miles and it has about 264k on it now. I haven't driven it much this summer due to work travel. The PO of the car had it for about 10 years, and had the car painted about 7 years ago, so it looks good. There is a small amount of rust on the car in the typical spots; a bit behind the rear plate, the lower edge of the drivers door, a small spot behind the passenger door, and on the drivers side rear rocker. There is also some surface rust on the hood and around the front grille area. Given its age and mileage, though, the rust is pretty minor which is why I picked this car in the first place. Half of its life was spent in California, which I think combined with the respray is a big reason for the condition. The brakes were recently done also and have a lot of life left in both pads and rotors.

This car is a solid driver and runs well. It only broke down on me once, when the alternator went kaput, but otherwise has been trouble free. It does require some immediate maintenance which I haven't gotten around to due to travel, namely the e-brake needs a rebuild as it doesn't want to disengage fully. The AC doesn't work well, I haven't done any troubleshooting but everything looks ok so I assume it just needs a charge. The oil level sensor is intermittently functional, so the oil level light comes on even though the oil level is ok. The rear defroster also is non-op. The car has some very high-end stereo gear in it; the PO spent $2500 on the installation several years ago, and while the head unit is dated in terms of features, the amp is very good and the speakers are as well.

Asking $3200 for everything, but I can sell it without the snow tire setup or even the amp if you don't want those items. It's a great car for someone who wants a classic ix and doesn't mind giving the car a little love; sadly, I just don't have the time and I soon won't have a parking spot for it. Heck, you could even run this beastie on the track, although I don't know why you would since it's pretty slow!

passenger side rust:

front rust:

driver side rust:

Thanks

I'd also consider a partial trade on an open trailer for my Civic, or an enclosed trailer as well, pending condition and age.

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: FS: '89 325ix coupe - CLASSY winter beater

Post by Dave_G » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 pm

These are awesome cars. I know because I have a '91 iX that looks a lot like yours (except mine is a 4-door). Mine is my daily driver and super-awesome snow travel vehicle for skiing, winter rallycrossing, and ice racing. If I didn't already have one that I love, I'd be knocking on your door. :)

How's the viscous coupling in the transfer case? Have you done a jack test on it?

If you want, I can post a note on the BMW 325iX Club mailing list. That's the central gathering place for iX afficionados across the country. There are always people there looking for good examples of these cars.
Dave
ST4 Miata #62

RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by RyanC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Dave,
The VC is good; the awd works great and aside from the minor issues I listed, the car is solid. If you wanted to post the car that'd be great; I've put it up on r3vlimited and bimmerforums, but it's a little early in the season for big ix interest. November is another story though ;)
Thanks
Ryan

RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by RyanC » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:37 am

Car still available! $2700 takes it away!

grovefromnh
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by grovefromnh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:56 am

I'm interested in your car. Could you post or pm me some photos?
30+ yr member

RyanC
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by RyanC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:21 pm

sorry, sold. forgot to update the ad