im new

Any and all discussions concerning events.
geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

im new

Post by geoffm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:18 am

hay every one i just stumbled across this racing club and would like to know wat i would have to do to get started racing with u guys but im probly not able to race untill next year. im 20 years old and have limited racing experance and just going fast on a street is pointless and very expencive due to cops. i want to basicly know wat kinds of cars u guys are running and how i can get me and probly some of my friends running too. i want to see if i can get a car up to par with every one else with about 2 grand that includes the car and modifactions

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: im new

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:32 am

$2k won't get you far in this hobby.Not trying to discourage you,just giving you the honest truth.Maybe in a bone stock 4cyl class like ssc you may find a suitable car.It must be able to pass tech inspection for safety. Most COM drivers invest considerable time and money into their cars to make them competitive,so being on "par" with most will likely cost more than $2k. In some classes much more..
Read the rule book and the vehicle requirements for each class to get a better feel for what to expect.
Driving on track is much more rewarding than any street "racing".
You could also attend one of the ride along programs being offered by COM to get a better feel for how the club operates.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:50 am

We have classes for any car from showroom stock to full bore tube chassis race cars. You don't need a fully prepared car to participate, a daily driven street car will do for a start. Just make sure the maitenance is up to par and the car is safe (good brakes and tires etc.). If you stay in a SS class it will be much cheaper as you cannot do many mods. Once you get started you can always change classes if there are mods that you want to do. If you look thru our race results you will get a good idea what types of cars are competetive in the different classes. $2000 doesn't get you very far but it can be done if you find the right car for a good deal. I paid $1300 for my last Miata and was pretty successful with it (after a few years of development) and it is still very competetive today. There are a lot of bargains out there if you are patient and know what to look for. Some of our most competetive classes are fairly inexpensive cars.

You should come to one of the next few events and check it out. Walk around and meet some people and see the variety of cars. You could take advantage of the ride-along program and get a first hand look at what it is like to go around a racetrack at speed, you won't be disapointed. You could also probably sit in on a classroom session.
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:44 pm

i just made a s10 go 10.56 in a 1/4 mile with $2200 bucks with a turboed 5.3 out of a 2000 silverado and that includes buying the s10 now my friend ownes it and its conestent 10.7s at 130mph but it was a pile of junk yard parts and ebay used crap that was put to work ive also raced at suger hill in single speed go carts and about a year ago raced at f1 outdoors in a shifter kart i finished in 5th place. i think that was pretty good presented that i couldent even shift it earler that morning let allone drive it haha

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:05 pm

the answer is yes !!!! check out racingjunk.com go to road racing cars then improved touring if your not to picky . there is 2 ITC cars and one ITB car . for a new bee its best to have a slower car . why? becouse it will teach you how to be smooth .

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Mentor

Post by brucesallen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Geoff,
I suggest you sign up for a mentor on our home page. You can do that even before you fork over for a mambership. Then you can have a personal phone or email conversation about the club and the cars.

Don't forget that as a Sports Car Club, COM runs on road racing tracks from 1.5 to 3.5 miles long that turn left and right, have fast and slow corners, go up and down hills and require lots of late, hard braking. Fun!
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:24 pm

im verry aware of that ive been around circle tracks my whole life and might need to learn how to turn right haha but i did run a couple shifter cart races but they broke all except 1 that i finished in 5th witch was my first time in a race with one at f1 outdoors and ive practiced a big bolck modified once and gave it back scared out of my mind with the speed u can go but ive raced a pro stock a couple of times and placed pretty good 3rd was my best at star speed way

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:03 am

Welcome! Lots of great posts on the subject already, so I'll just repeat what grippy said.

Our ride-along program is alive and well. Pay for your 1-year membership ($35), and you get a ride with an instructor.

Bruce mentioned our mentor program, also a great idea!
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 pm

i just dont get excited riding with some one i would want to get a car togeather and try to fallow the fast people around and talk to and annoy them with questions till im just as fast or faster thats more exciting so i think ill build a ss car to get started and if its fun and people seem cool ill stay around and build some thing better and faster the second year i might come with a turbo charged ls1 mustang haha

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 pm

"I would want to get a car togeather and try to fallow the fast people around and talk to and annoy them with questions till im just as fast or faster"

Worked for me! :lol:

Of course,I did spend a LOT more than $2k... 8)

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:29 pm

knowing me im going to get some kinda junk car thats not rusted out hahaha in new england and not rusted out in 3 years hahaha put new struts, clutch and tires on it and see wear it gets me o ya change all the fluids but if i dont get lasy i might just blue print the motor and trans to see wear that gets me

eclip5e
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by eclip5e » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 pm

is this a troll?
Ron. A
R̶A̶S̶p̶e̶c̶ ̶I̶m̶p̶r̶e̶z̶a̶ ̶W̶R̶X̶ ̶-̶ ̶#̶8̶6̶ 2004-2010
2017 Subaru BRZ Limited, 112T50

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:45 pm

You think? :wink:

geoffm
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by geoffm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:52 pm

this is not a troll its just that i like taking stuff apart and making it better then new i have a friend that ownes a machine shop that i can use and i do use any time i want it has everything to make anything if it cant be made their it cant be made water jet cuter,cnc 3d,head/flywheel plainer/truer, couple brake presses,3d scanner, 3d plastic molder witch is very cool, i think that it is the same prep as going hobby stock racing at a circle track but still letting the car turn both ways

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am

You will not be hopping in your car and following others around the track until you have been properly trained and certified by one of our instructors. The training time will depend on your ability to safely and properly learn the dynamics of car control, but, not to worrry, the instructors are also competitors and will show you the fast way around the track! As you might imagine there is a lot to learn about braking points, proper (fast & safe) lines through the corners, passing zones, heel/toe down shifting, emergency manuevers (both feet in for instance), etc. Learning from one of our ultra fast instructors is more than half the fun, nothing boring, believe me!
To help you choose and prepare a car, here is the link to our Rules:
http://www.comscc.org/rules/
Best of luck, hope to see you at the track!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40