Rules Clarification on Composite Doors and Mirrors

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Bluenose Racing
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Rules Clarification on Composite Doors and Mirrors

Post by Bluenose Racing » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:02 pm

In review of COM rules for SP, I have these questions.

XI. STREET PREPARED -
Para 6 talks about cars with composite doors requiring bar protection in the doors of like material and diameter of the roll cage, and requiring a roll cage. In repsponse to a previous question, I was advised that I was looking at an older publication of the rules and that SP did not require a roll cage. However, the issue of composite doors was not discussed. My car is a TVR with fiberglass body (including fiberglass doors). If this overrides the general SP ruling, then I will not be able to field my car in the SP class as I don't wish to sacrifice my interior to cage protection.

I need an official ruling on this issue before I continue preperation of the car.

Item 2: Exterior mirrors. I could not find any requirement regarding rear view mirrors. My car has an internal rear view mirror (and could be converted to a "wink" style mirror. It currently has no external mirrors. They are not required for street use until 1968. I could add them if required by COM. If required, is there a size and placement requirement ?

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Rules Clarification on Composite Doors and Mirrors

Post by jlwhorf » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 pm

The phrase about composite doors refers to replacing steel doors with light weight racing ones. Your car has factory fiberglass doors (like corvettes etc.), so you don't have to worry.

The single internal rearview mirror is fine, but it is a good idea to install a wide angle one so you can see behind better.

Jonathan