Camera Mounts

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
BlackBora

Camera Mounts

Post by BlackBora » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a decent camera mount. I want to record every trck that i go to. I like to do this to learn from mistakes or to get the better lines. If you can hit me up with some sites to buy one that would be great, not sure of the good ones. Thank you

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:32 pm

http://www.driversupply.com/

Owned by two COMSCC members.

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:13 pm

I dont have a roll cage so those wouldnt work. Thank you for your help thou.

boltonite
Administrator
Administrator

Post by boltonite » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 pm

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m ... ry_Code=CM

I used one before I had a roll bar and it works fine. It attaches to the rear or side window (the side window gets a better view, IMO). It has a VERY strong suction but I'd tether the camera just in case.
FF

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Another source:

http://www.chasecam.com/

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jeffreystrong » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:42 pm

I dont have a roll cage so those wouldnt work. Thank you for your help thou.
I'd recommend you forgo the camera mount and use the funds towards the purchase of a roll bar. Not to lecture but this is a very dangerous activity, spend every dollar you can making your car as safe as you can before spending it on the the camera mount, hotlap timer, CAI, chip, ...

Jeffrey

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:55 pm

I dont think i can put a roll cage in my car...it wouldnt look right..i have an 01 jetta...i think it is good enough how it is...i already have a great deal of mods done to it. A roll bar is not in the future..

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:32 pm

BlackBora wrote:I dont think i can put a roll cage in my car...it wouldnt look right..i have an 01 jetta...i think it is good enough how it is...i already have a great deal of mods done to it. A roll bar is not in the future..
Oh boy...you'll get some people going with those comments. I won't preach, but please keep in mind the more "mods" you do are likely to make you go faster. Making it look cool is way low on my priority list. In the end I want/need to go home at the end of the weekend. There were at least 2 local fatalities this last season in other clubs that do exactly what we do with COM.

Ok , sorry it turned into a preach...it's the instructor in me.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

BlackBora

Post by BlackBora » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm

I understand where you guys are coming from, but this is my everyday driver. If it wasnt then i would already have a roll cage. Safety is of big importance to me. Gernman cars are very safe, rated the highest in a lot of catagories. I thank you guys for your concerns, but like i said this is my daily driver so i cant put a roll cage in.

jeffreystrong
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jeffreystrong » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:06 pm

There were 5 deaths this year, 3 with regards to HPDE, and 2 from racing.

Three of these deaths occurred at tracks we frequent, Watkins Glen, LRP, and NHIS. I was at the LRP event, when Adam passed, so this really became a reality for me.

In regards to the Roll Bar in your daily driver. I used to run my daily driver on the track as well; A Ford Focus ZX3, with an Autopower Roll Bar with removable harness and cross bars. Here's a link for the same for your Jetta.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m ... Code=AP423

Assuming you don't add a Roll Bar to you car, stay with the stock belts. There are safety concerns with wearing a 4/5/6 point harness without a hoop to prevent a roof collapse in the event of a roll over.

Remember none of this is meant as criticism; we all want everyone to go home at the end of the event.

Jeffrey