NHMS2 Students - 27 Opportunities not to be missed!

Any and all discussions concerning events.
WillM
Administrator
Administrator

NHMS2 Students - 27 Opportunities not to be missed!

Post by WillM » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I just took a glimpse at the registration list for our NHMS event on July 8 & 9. All I can say is WOW! We have a massively diverse group of students, licensed drivers, instructors, and all of their cars. Seems to me that all of the run-groups will be well subscribed, but not overly packed.

There are a bunch of first-time students who range from zero previous experience (newbies!) to a new member who had his SCCA license 25 years ago. Cars range from Ariel Atoms, to Mazda Miatas, to Z06 Corvettes, to Alfas, and that is just the student groups! To these students - WELCOME! Rest assured that you will be in a run-group with other students at similar levels of experience, and that you'll have a highly qualified instructor with you for every step (and lap!) of the day. :)

This leads to what I would consider to be 27 outstanding opportunities for the 27 students who signed up for day 1 only. Day 2 will most likely be yours for the taking. Plan to stay for day 2, if you can. :) As a newbie to COM many years ago, I didn't really understand what day 2 was all about until I finally stayed for one. At the time, "time trial day" seemed to be rather intimidating with less driving. It was not until Lee (a.ka. Crusin' :tweety: ) clued me in that I actually stayed for day 2, and started to appreciate all that I had been missing.

First off, as a student, I quickly learned - and was told by my instructors, that safety was key. Driving in a controlled manner and with respect to the flags and the cars around me were the basics needed to get "signed off" to run day 2. If I were "signed to solo", I could stay for day 2. For every event that I attended as a student, including my first event, I was signed-to-solo. As an instructor, I can now say that this is more the norm than the exception. In other words, even if this is your first event, there is a good chance you will be welcome to run day 2. Whether or not that happens is between you and your instructor, and what YOU get out of day 1. Make it a good one!

The first half of day 2 (100% of the track time before lunch) is very similar to day 1. Alternating shifts of run-groups based on car class. The exception is that the run-groups are divided by car classification, not driver experience. To a student, perhaps the biggest exception is that there are no instructors in the car. For "away" events (non-NHMS), it is the club's policy to not turn away any drivers. Those students, who were not signed-to-solo, are able to run the entire day with an instructor in the car. The exception is that day 2 "students" are not permitted to run the time-trial, as the TT rules stipulate that no instructors can ride shotgun during competition laps.

The time trials begin after lunch. During the time trial, cars are assigned to groups of 4-5 cars (depending on the track). Run groups are decided by lap times, which each driver submits after they have had the opportunity to drive session that morning. Groups are determined by lap times, meaning that all of the cars in a specific group are turning lap times within a second or two of each other. There is only 1 group of cars on track at a time. Each car in that group is sent out in intervals (approx 30 seconds). The idea is to run 3 timed laps without worrying about passing or being passed. 3 clean laps of your best driving, having the track all to yourself. It is, in a word, awesome. :)

After time trials, the track is open. That means "open track". Whatever pressure drivers have had on themselves or in their minds for the weekend are gone. This is very much the equivalent of "fun runs" at an autocross. Sometimes this is the best driving and fun of the entire event, and we've had up to 3 hours of open track at some venues!

An added bonus of the time trials is that is gives drivers some down-time. You can head over to turn 3 and watch cars go by, hang with some friends in the garage, put a stopwatch on your competition, etc. In general, this can be a very fun and social aspect of the entire event.

At this event, we'll be hosting a tail-gate party in the infield on the evening of day 1. Some info has already gone out, and I'd expect more to follow. Bring your own food & drink, and anything you'd like to share, and the club will provide everything else (grills, tables, plates/cups/etc).

So, to those 27 students for whom opportunity awaits, seize the day, if you can! We'll be happy to write you a permission slip from work, but the rest is up to you. :) When you meet with your instructor, and the two of you discuss your goals for day 1, tell him or her that one of your goals is to be signed to solo for day 2.

Either way, I trust you'll have an incredible experience on day 1!

Cheers,

Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

paultg
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by paultg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks for the great information Will. I am a new member who signed up for both days; really appreciate the detail on Day 2. I was sort of wondering what is was all about; and am hoping I do things correct enough to get signed off and participate.

Paul G.
Paul G.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:45 am

"Run groups are decided by lap times, which each driver submits after they have had the opportunity to drive sessions that morning."

Will we be given timing devices to determine our lap times or are we supposed to bring one? If we are required to have one,can you suggest one?

I am also a student who has signed up for both days and am looking foreward to some great track time and to meet some of the COM members I have only read about.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 am

breakaway500 wrote:Will we be given timing devices to determine our lap times or are we supposed to bring one? If we are required to have one,can you suggest one?

I am also a student who has signed up for both days and am looking foreward to some great track time and to meet some of the COM members I have only read about.
You are responsible for your own timing. The cheapest way to go is getting a stop watch with a lap memory, and asking some one to time you. A hotlap or other incar system is optimal. BTW, a student has to be signed off to solo by thier instructor before they can compete in the TT.

Jonathan

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:04 am

Mark, it is easy enough to have someone from another group grab some lap times for you. I can do it for you if you like.

Will, that was an excellent write up. You along with the BOD have done some great things to make these events very low on the stress meter for potential students. I was very apprehensive, and completely against running the TT at all when I was a student. Even after I had "Wild Bill" Sarno sign me off for a license, I was still against it.

As I enter my third licensed season I feel completely different about the TT now. The only TT's I have done were the last two years at Tremblant. They were very different than the first day, and there definitely was a more relaxed atmosphere. I really enjoyed it, had fun running the TT laps, and even drove for about half of the open session.

This will be my first TT at NHMS though I have been there many times. I hope I can do the American Iron crowd proud.....or at least not embarrass myself. :)
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:49 am

Thanks Troy. I saw a gizmo in one of the A/X cars last year that was pretty interesting.The Performance Vbox I believe it was called.It showed you all sorts of data,including g-forces,accel,decel and ET's per run.Quite interesting,and at the time I dismissed it as something I did not need.
However,if timing is to become an issue,then maybe it is time to step up and get one of these contraptions.

Just as long as it does not tell me I'm driving like an old man. :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 pm

One of the great things about track clubs, and I find it especially true of COM, is that people jump in to offer help all of the time. Actually, it seems that most guys want to help. If you've ever been in the paddock and watched one person start to push a car, you've also seen a horde of guys run over to help. If you need anything from a push to a torque wrench to knowing what run session is out on the track at the moment, just ask! COM has been so fortunate to attract so many great members.

At sign-in on day 2, you will receive a packet with the day's schedule, a index card-sized "Time Card", and a 2-page description of the time-trial rules and procedures. During the morning's driver's meeting, Bill Hosselbarth, or Chief of Timing and Scoring, will indicate when and where Time Cards are due. Traditionally, Time Cards are due by 10:30-11:00AM, and are collected in a drop-box, which is usually placed somewhere near the tech shed (where driver's meetings are normally held). To complete the time card, you'll need to fill out your name, make & model of your car, class, and lap time. Don't fudge the number! ;)

If you do not have a lap timer, the best way to get times for yourself is to ask someone to time you during your run group. If you do not have a stop watch, chances are the person you are asking will. This is also a great way to make friends and offer a deal (I'll time you, you time me!). Some guys use stop watches inside their car and hit the lap button somewhere on the front straight. I would encourage students to not bother with stopwatches in the car, and seek help from a friend. Chances are that you'll forget to hit the lap button (been there, done that!) If your instructor is running day 2, ask them!

There are lots of guys who run onboard lap timers. Hot Lap is perhaps the most popular, and 99.9% of the time there is at least one beacon on the wall, which means all a driver needs is the receiver and display mounted in their car (one beacon triggers everyone else's). Beacons do not usually work from one type of system to another, which is why I've mentioned the popularity of HotLap. I like the UltraLap timers too, but haven't seen many.

Troy is right about the different dynamics between day 1 and day 2. Students at day 1 are always busy, between track sessions, classroom sessions, lunch, getting a ride-along with instructors, etc. This makes for a very busy day. Day 2, by comparison, gives us all some down time to mingle a bit and start the bench racing. :)

Great question guys, keep 'em coming.
96 Miata #72 SC

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:32 pm

I thought I'd share this important information:

Some things you may not know about preregistering for day 2 as a student:

1. Students who pre-register for both days but are not signed-to-solo for day 2, will receive a full refund for day 2.*
2. Students who experience a mechanical problem on day 1 which prevents them from participating in day 2 also receive a refund for day 2*
3. Pre-registration for day 2 includes a $25 discount ($200 for day 2, instead of $225)

* In order to receive your refund, you must talk to Mark Swinehart, Registrar, before he leaves the track at the end of Day 1.
96 Miata #72 SC

CardiffArms
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Excellent thread

Post by CardiffArms » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:50 am

Will,

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent post. This is my second year with COM, and I was equally intimidated by the Time Trial when I started. Glad to say I managed to get signed off pretty quickly (I won't mention my instructor's comment in my log book!) and spent Day 2 having a lot of fun. The information in this thread will certainly help to alleviate a lot of the nervousness that new students may have about Day 2.

More info for noobies, on the timing front it's worth saying that the Time Card you submit is only used to group you with cars and drivers who are achieving similar times, in order to make sure that one car does not catch another. During the Time Trial itself we are grouped into (typically) 4 cars at a time, and sent out at 20 second intervals. The track is cleared between trial groups. So the time you submit in the Time Card could be incorrect by a few seconds and have no impact on the Time Trial itself. That's not to say that you shouldn't strive to submit an accurate Time Card, but a stopwatch operated by someone watching from the track wall is accurate enough. Don't worry that you *need* a HotLap system (or similar). As others have suggested, there are plenty of people around who will be willing to time you on the morning of Day 2.

Overall, we are all here to have fun. :D Fingers crossed for the weather!!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Marshall
2005 Silver STi
#70 SSGT

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:13 am

Will,

Quick question....just out of curiosity. If one or a number of the 27 students who have signed up for day 1 only....say....read this post the night before the event, and get signed off on day 1, is it possible for them to visit the registrar and make arrangements to attend on the second day?
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

Grippy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Grippy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:07 am

The other benefit to attending the second day is that you have had all night for everything you learned on day one to sink in and process. You start day 2 where you ended day 1 rather than somewhat starting over a month or two later and remembering everything. This leapfrogs the learning process and can reap great rewards. You can make much more progress in 2 days back to back than 2 days a month a part. This will also allow you to start your next school with more confidence and drive at a higher level to build from there. getting the most from your investment of time and funds (and fun).
Gordon Andrade
#10 Super C MX-5

John F
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by John F » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Nice write-up Will. Thanks for the information. Although licensed, I have not run a TT with COM, so now I don't have to pester anyone on day 1 about the protocol on day 2. Good info. thanks
John F
#167 SA FFR roadster

MiataSteve
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by MiataSteve » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Very nice write-up indeed. I remember many of the same issues as a newbie. Sounds like good info for a "Sticky" and/or the Club's "Getting Started" tab.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for the comments and adding very useful knowledge and feedback to the original post. :) :thumbleft:

Grippy - right on!

John, Mike, and everyone else - I'm glad this helped out, and thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are listening. :)

Troy - The short answer is "maybe". We impose deadlines on registration because it allow our Registrar, Chief Instructor, and other specialty chiefs enough time to arrange run-groups (and maximize everyone's track time).

If 27 students who had not pre-registered for day 2 tracked down Mark S (our Registrar) at the end of day 1 and inquired about staying for day 2, I would expect two things to happen.

First, some may get in.

Second, Mark will spike my Gatorade with antifreeze and let the air out of one of my tires just before the time-trial. I can't comment for Mark, but I assume he *might* be able to get some folks in, but again, don't know for sure. If a participant finds themselves in that situation, I strongly recommend you ask as soon as possible, but please do ask.

Seriously, registration rules and deadlines are on the COM website and we really need members to follow them. I understand that there is a lot to read and that there can be an intimidation factor for newbies, which is why I started this thread in the first place. :)
96 Miata #72 SC

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm

Will -

Your advice is accurate.