My day at Zhuhai International

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
swinecanfly
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

My day at Zhuhai International

Post by swinecanfly » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:19 am

Few years back I went to a Formula Renault test day and met one of the race team's head of publicity. During my many trips back to China my schedule never overlapped with a race day until now. Email my buddy. He no longer works for a race team, but even better he is the publicity manager for the track. He hooks me up with "Mechanic" passes.

I email Stephan to see if he's in China, nope, but he recommends I stop by and say hello to the his friend who runs the Ferrari GT team.

So bright and early this morning I grab my camera, load up on batteries, grab a 8 gig SD card, and catch a taxi and head out to watch Super Bikes, Formula Renaults, GT cars, and Touring cars.

One of the Ferrari team cars
I was close to the action
Ferrari team car (other side cause its just darn good looking)
Before
After (suspension broke and hit pit wall - not being a seasoned photographer I ducked like a little girl)
Out laps can be tough too
Must have hurt
Bit hot into 1
Wings can fly
So the wing not only provides down force it holds the nose too!

swinecanfly
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by swinecanfly » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:21 am

Should buff right out
Be sure to steer it straight
The new leader
Short lived lead
Oops - those damn out laps
Push harder guys - it won't break
Tight GT racing
All she wrote

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:16 am

Nice looking track!

Wonder what that open wheel car is that hit the wall?

Too bad they woudn't let you take the Ferraris for a spin! :wink:

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks for the pictures with captions.

Looks like it was quite an experience.

Did you get one of those cool-looking orange vests?

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:51 am

One question, did any cars actually finish a race?
Last edited by chaos4NH on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

SSNH
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by SSNH » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:04 am

repost

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:26 am

Craig:
Glad you got into touch with my friends at Italian Motors of Hong Kong. I will e-mail you shortly as to my next trip(s) to Asia.
I jokingly once mentioned COM should take a trip there ... or to the Shanghai circuit ... or Mexico ... or Brazil.. maybe we can add this as a "package tour program" during our long winter hiatus. It would be nice:
Charter Champagne flight to an exotic circuit, two (2) day event program for $325 .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers!
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:36 am

StephanAlfa wrote:I jokingly once mentioned COM should take a trip there ... or to the Shanghai circuit ... or Mexico ... or Brazil.. maybe we can add this as a "package tour program" during our long winter hiatus. It would be nice
8)
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 am

chaos4NH wrote:One question, did any cars actually finish a race?
No kidding. I think I share some genes with those guys. Or at least, they might have made mine. Nyuk nyuk.

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:28 am

StephanAlfa wrote: I jokingly once mentioned COM should take a trip there ... or to the Shanghai circuit ... or Mexico ... or Brazil.. maybe we can add this as a "package tour program" during our long winter hiatus. It would be nice:
Charter Champagne flight to an exotic circuit, two (2) day event program for $325 .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers!
http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 pm

mr2sc wrote:
StephanAlfa wrote: I jokingly once mentioned COM should take a trip there ... or to the Shanghai circuit ... or Mexico ... or Brazil.. maybe we can add this as a "package tour program" during our long winter hiatus. It would be nice:
Cheers!
http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/
Driving the 'ring has been the highlight of my driving experience.
I drove it in 1964 in an EMPI equipped, Judson supercharged, 1200cc VW Beetle. The beetle had all the bolt on goodies of the day, camber compensator, short shifter, hi volt ignition, Dunlop sport tires on reversed rims, etc. I ran neck and neck with a Triumph TR4 for 10 laps of that incredible 12+ mile course. At that time the cost was 20 DM (about $4.50) per lap, but after the first couple of laps, the guys taking the money just kept waving us through for another lap!
In 1966 I ran a paltry 4 laps in my 1965 Turbo Covair Spyder. The Corvair was pretty much stock ( think the only thing it had was Kleber V10 radials). I must have spun that thing out at least 6 times, but also reached some crazy speeds on the down hill section towards Adenau. As I recall, I hever did negotiate the Carussel Kurve properly.
I went back in 1970 and drove the track in my brother-in-laws fully set up, tube framed, Rally Renault Turbo (about 300hp as I recall). Again, about 4 laps. I can clearly recall scaring the crap out of myself in that thing!

I also watched a number of Formula 1 races and the accompaning GT races. Both featured guys like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Dan Gurney, The Rodriguez brother, John Surtees, Jack Brabham, Phil Hill, etc.

I am seriously thinking of going back with the oldest son next year. I think it would be a blast in one of the new M3s, though I doubt he would ride with me!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:38 pm

all I can say is Farfengruven!
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

swinecanfly
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by swinecanfly » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:46 am

StephanAlfa wrote:Craig:
Glad you got into touch with my friends at Italian Motors of Hong Kong. I will e-mail you shortly as to my next trip(s) to Asia.
I jokingly once mentioned COM should take a trip there ... or to the Shanghai circuit ... or Mexico ... or Brazil.. maybe we can add this as a "package tour program" during our long winter hiatus. It would be nice:
Cheers!
Stephan:

Ben says hello. Does he bring the half naked team girls to his meetings with you? I must admit that is a nice touch.

At ZIC the rates are cheap and many teams do arrive and drives. Without an instructor it's like $300 per day - everything included except insurance. With an instructor it goes to like $500. There is no way I would ever think of driving something of Ben's, but there are teams that rent everything from Hondas to Formula Renaults.

My next trip will hopefully be in the fall. I'm trying to take a break between COMSCC/SCCA/baseball. I will probably make it back for MacauGP or the A1GP at ZIC. If I can swing a trip for Macau we'll be at the Wynn. For the A1GP we will have a trackside box - I'll save you a seat.

My buddy over there is getting a track schedule and is trying to get a car locally. He is having trouble importing his BMW M6 from Taiwan without paying an arm and a leg. He said when he finds a car locally I am welcome to it whenever I am in town. In my mind that means you are too.

Craig

Georgethefierce
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Georgethefierce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 am

what kind of fool crashed on the out lap?
J
07 IT7
Angrypork.com
84 RX-7

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:53 am

Some idiot in a pink Miata!