Is Arm Restraints legal in prepared?

Questions, comments, and discussions concerning COMSCC rules.

Moderators: Boondocker850, blindsidefive0

Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Is Arm Restraints legal in prepared?

Post by 0100 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi,

I emailed Bill Fitzmaurice, Chief of Tech at bilfitz33@verizon.net this question, but haven't received an answer yet. Is this the correct email?

Anyway, can arm restraints be used in prepared class, in place of a window net? I will be running a rollbar(not cage) in a street driven car. So as much as I hate arm restraints I think it's the best alternative for a rollbar car.

Thanks
Eric

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Eric:
Perhaps you can elaborate on this. I am not sure I understand the question.
If your car is a convertible (open top) arm restraints are mandatory. If your car is a certain class then roll cage/bar is also required.
COM rules are windows down. Net in some cases optional so I am not sure what you are referring to: use arms restraints in an enclosed car instead of window nets?
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

jlwhorf
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by jlwhorf » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 am

Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 0100 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:27 am

^thanks yeah I saw that thread but no conclusion. As it was mid season and rule changes weren't allowed?????

I have a tin top street legal car with an autopower rollbar(not cage). I will be running in prepared. I need to run a window net per the 2008 rules.

My question is can arm restrains be used instead of a window net in prepared?

Will a rollbar(not cage) it is a lot harder to mount a window net.

Just wondering, that is all.

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:12 pm

0100 wrote:^thanks yeah I saw that thread but no conclusion. As it was mid season and rule changes weren't allowed?????

I have a tin top street legal car with an autopower rollbar(not cage). I will be running in prepared. I need to run a window net per the 2008 rules.

My question is can arm restrains be used instead of a window net in prepared?

Will a rollbar(not cage) it is a lot harder to mount a window net.

Just wondering, that is all.
No rule change was submittted, thus, none was made. As the rules state, a window net is required in Prepared.
Just for clarification: You are talking about running in Prepared, rather than Street Prepared?
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by 0100 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Ok thanks.

Yes prepared.

craig lawrence
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

are arm restraints legal in place of window net in prepared

Post by craig lawrence » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 pm

i want to come to the watkins glen event i should be in prepared a however i only have a rollbar and no window net can i run arm restraints instead of window net?

chaos4NH

Re: are arm restraints legal in place of window net in prepa

Post by chaos4NH » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:01 am

craig lawrence wrote:i want to come to the watkins glen event i should be in prepared a however i only have a rollbar and no window net can i run arm restraints instead of window net?
Prepared:
A window safety net must be used to prevent drivers arms AND/OR HEAD from protruding through the window.
Rule XII.1.B, page 22 of the 2008 rule book.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

craig lawrence
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

window net

Post by craig lawrence » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 pm

some people are saying they use mil spec velcro for window net is this ok, also i had a new carbom fiber hood installed with all the stock hardware the rule books say i must put 2 hood pins in it to hold the hood in place. i realy dont want to drill holes in my new hood . what happens if i show up with out a window net or hood pins and i skip time trials could i run on track anyway ? thank craig

SSNH
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: window net

Post by SSNH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:21 pm

craig lawrence wrote:some people are saying they use mil spec velcro for window net is this ok, also i had a new carbom fiber hood installed with all the stock hardware the rule books say i must put 2 hood pins in it to hold the hood in place. i realy dont want to drill holes in my new hood . what happens if i show up with out a window net or hood pins and i skip time trials could i run on track anyway ? thank craig
picture links are no longer valid, but this was the main reason we now require hood pins.

http://www.sr20forum.com/general-sr20/1 ... hoods.html

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:52 pm

craig lawrence wrote:some people are saying they use mil spec velcro for window net is this ok, also i had a new carbom fiber hood installed with all the stock hardware the rule books say i must put 2 hood pins in it to hold the hood in place. i realy dont want to drill holes in my new hood . what happens if i show up with out a window net or hood pins and i skip time trials could i run on track anyway ? thank craig
But hood pins look so cool!! :D :)
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:14 pm

I installed my hood pins today.I only winced once when drilling.

OK,twice. :wink:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 pm

The BOD has discussed allowing some leeway in modifications, but I don't recall that we ever considered waiving safety requirements. The Chief of Tech would probably have the final say.
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40