My PHD RX8 Build (Because it will take me 8 years)

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: My PHD RX8 Build (Because it will take me 8 years)

Post by breakaway500 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 am

One can surely see the need for a super safe cage in that sport! Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place.. :shock:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 am

beatus wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:02 am
Some impressive fab work! Nice rage reference 8)
Thanks! Haha glad somebody caught it!
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am

breakaway500 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 am
One can surely see the need for a super safe cage in that sport! Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place.. :shock:
Ohhh yeah, it was not an if or even a when, but a how bad type of sport. Haha funny story, I slid off a rock ledge where the bottom of my rig was against the rock and my roof against a tree.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm

TunaNoCrust wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am
Ohhh yeah, it was not an if or even a when, but a how bad type of sport. Haha funny story, I slid off a rock ledge where the bottom of my rig was against the rock and my roof against a tree.
So, why no helmets?
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:35 pm

gcranston wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm
TunaNoCrust wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am
So, why no helmets?
Good question, nobody used to wear them for the 15 years I had been doing it, probably since everybody then started with and most always had street driven vehicles? By pure luck, nobody was hurt. Only started wearing them after starting to do comps where they are required for both driver and spotter. Then we started wearing them during regular events, which seemed to catch on, which was a great thing because the rigs started becoming far more powerful and trails far nastier.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Spent nearly 12 hours of Saturday on homework, so I could finally get into the garage for a bit. Almost went mountain biking instead :lol:

Got my shoulder harnesses in, sitting in it, the belts are just under 0, but that is with the seat in its lowest position and this is only the mockup seat. All said and done, I should be between -5 and -10 degrees.

Cut my steering shaft off, the factory column with steering wheel was 12 pounds after gutting most accessories off of it! Weld on 0.5" shaft (might put a small outer sleeve for additional weld, losing steering is no bueno) then the shaft goes through a hemi joint, weld on steering wheel flange, and then buy steering wheel, which are all ridiculously priced....might wait for a swap meet?

Boxed in the strut tower.

Boxed in the strut tower.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Kind of changed my stage 1 goal of getting the motor running, to getting the car rolling first. I already know exactly what I want for brakes and suspension, so that at least some progress will be made. Plus from the engine and transmission stand point, any stepping stone of progress I make there is $600+, which I am just not feeling :lol:

Crappy picture, but welded in both lapbelt tabs and the 5th point.

Got the steering column together. Its only a 1/2" solid steel shaft with two supports and it feels really stiff, but won't know for sure until I put a steering wheel on it, sit in the seat cranking around the steering making race car noises. If its not stiff enough, easy enough to sleeve over and up the heim size. Also have to cut the wings off the trick tab on the second support.

Made a little bracket for my fuel pressure regulator and built in a little isolation where it mounts to the firewall. Going to have a small section of braided hose between the hard lines and regulator...just because racecar.

Need to change the -8 to -6 and figure out which port to use to go to the fuel rail.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:57 am

You should think about adding a collapsible collar section to your steering "shaft"...just saying..;)
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:19 am

breakaway500 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:57 am
You should think about adding a collapsible collar section to your steering "shaft"...just saying..;)
You mean the steering spear?

Who am I kidding? I could never do something like this. I'm pretty impressed, and a little jealous. Thanks for sharing.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:52 pm

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea. There is one on the other side of the firewall, but this shaft ended up much longer than I was originally thinking. Although to cause that shaft to move 24" to impale me, I would likely already be dead....I am going to move it to the ??? of my list.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm

Don't rely on the measurement to your body while seated. Your belts are designed to stretch in an accident. Assume that your torso will move 4-6" out of the seat back and that your head will be thrust forward from there.
...this shaft ended up much longer than I was originally thinking.
If I had a dime for every time I heard that.