Head and Neck Restraints

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
SSNH
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by SSNH » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:57 am

bimmerforums had one a while ago and it looks like they are getting ready for another.

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Group HANS buy

Post by brucesallen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:00 pm

The formula car forum recenly had a group buy of 20 HANS.
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14374
I bought mine this summer at list price from HMS Motorsports as they were at a BMW club event. They will install the helmet bolts for free.
Joe Marko is knowledgable- (888) 467-3269.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

C5toSM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

HANS offer

Post by C5toSM » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:58 pm

HANS Offer from www.driversupply.com

Thanks to all of you for thinking of driversupply while chewing on the topic. I have spent quite a bit of time today researching our options for offering the Hans. Decidedly, there are a bunch of complex issues from the dealer side. But the upshot is this: I have set up an installer/partner to install the Hans on your helmet. All though Hans states that you can install the Hans yourself, all of the feedback I have received leads me to recommend a pro installation. (In fact Hans requires new dealers to get special installation training which seems to conflict with the "install it yourself" approach.)

Our offer is this : If you have our installer set up your Hans we will pick up the tab. You pay $865 for the economy Hans or $1135 for the Pro Hans plus shipping. Installation is free and will take about a week including shipping.

Here are some details to help with selection. MOST OF YOU WILL NEED A MODEL M20. If you have any questions or would like to order a HANS send me an email: john@driversupply.com

SEATBACK ANGLE - For comfort the HANS® should match the angle of your seatback.

MODEL 10 - EXTREME UPRIGHT SEAT - If you sit very upright and cannot get comfortable with a Model 20 try this Model.

MODEL 20 - UPRIGHT SEAT - All sedans including NASCAR, Busch, Sprint, Midget, Quarter Midget, Drag, Modified, Bandalero and similar. All sportscars including Porsche, BMW, Corvette, Honda, Viper etc. Marine applications including UIM and Drag Boats.

MODEL 30 - SEMI RECLINED SEAT - Formula Mazda, Atlantic, Infiniti Pro, Barber Dodge, IRL, C/D Sports Racer, Formula 1 and similar.

MODEL 40 - RECLINED SEAT- The Model 40 is a rare application and fits extremely reclined seats such as Vintage FF. Many people who buy a Model 40 return it for a Model 30. Please measure your seat (use an angle mete available at DIY-type stores) before ordering.

NECKSIZE - The width of the HANS® collar is sized to fit your neck or shirt collar size.
Under 12 Inches - Size Extra Small (XS) (For people under 100 lbs.)
12 to 15 Inches - Size Small (S)
15 to 18 Inches - Size Medium (M) (Called size REGULAR on older models)
Over 18 Inches - Size Large (L)
So a person with a 16" neck driving a Corvette would use a HANS® 20M. It's as easy as that!

PROFESSIONAL AND ECONOMY VERSIONS - Some models are available in lightweight (Professional) and regular (Economy) versions. The only difference is weight - about 6 - 8 ounces depending on size. There is no performance difference between the versions.

If you have any questions or would like to order a HANS send me an email. john@driversupply.com
John Spain
comscc #47 Miata T40 (49.7)

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

SA2005 helmets

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:30 pm

I have probably used my SA95 helmet for the last season. Anyone know if SA2005 helmets will be available soon. I have not been looking yet, but when I see helmets for sale they still seem to be SA2000. I bring this up in this forum because of the Hans installation implications.

Thanks,

After I posted I checked Bell's website...still SA00, Simpson SA05 and G Force some SA05. Looks like things are changing now.
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:48 am

For future reference, newly rated SA helmets are usually available in late October/November. I guess that might be helpful information in another 5 years. #-o

Does anyone have experience with HJC's SA-rated helmets? The helmets are priced in the Bell/Simpson range and feature removeable liners, a feature I like very much. Seems tough to find a well constructed, vented, relatively lightweight helmet with removeable liner.
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

C5toSM
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Sa2005 Helmets

Post by C5toSM » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:05 am

SA2005 helmets are coming out now . . . The new G-force helmets do have removable/washable liners. :D

www.driversupply.com
John Spain
comscc #47 Miata T40 (49.7)

christine

Post by christine » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:12 am

I have probably used my SA95 helmet for the last season. Anyone know if SA2005 helmets will be available soon. I have not been looking yet, but when I see helmets for sale they still seem to be SA2000. I bring this up in this forum because of the Hans installation implications.
If you are buying both a helmet and a HANS, you should consider asking for a nice discount on the helmet. I saw this mentioned on another forum. It seems that the makers of the HANS device won't allow retailers to discount their device, but if you are buying something else from a retailer, they should be able to cut you a deal on the package.

Christine

mtc13
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by mtc13 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks, Nate & John, and everyone else who is participating in this thread.

There is some good info at www.hutchensdevice.com ("Know The Facts"). While the folks at Hutchens are clearly biased, and maybe a little p'ed off that NASCAR has failed them, the article rings true, for me.
They basically say that while their device falls short, barely, of the new, more rigid, standard, in the real world it is adequate for NASCAR. While as much as admitting that the HANS is the best H&N restraint available, they explain why there's is safe enough, too. I could be wrong, but I don't think they'd risk your and my life out of vanity or a need to succeed.
-And if I AM wrong, well, I'm not likely to get goin' NASCAR speeds in the VW any time soon, so I think the superior protection of the 5-$600 more expensive HANS Device is truly a moot point, for me, even though my life is worth more than $900.

Thank You
MTCampbell - #13