Truck and Hauler stolen in Montreal

Any and all discussions concerning events.
chaos4NH

Truck and Hauler stolen in Montreal

Post by chaos4NH » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:58 am

Oh yes, welcome to Montreal! Sometime between 430 and 830 PM on Wednesday, my truck and trailer were stolen out of the parking lot right in front of the Raddison Hotel. :shock: Damn! :evil: Should have stayed across the road at the Hilton. Now 423AM and I have just finished more Police reports.

Oh, the Little Red Wagon was NOT in the trailer!! The AC in the truck quit working, so I took the car off to drive locally to my job sites. Bet the thieves will be pissed to find the trailer empty (except for $$$ in tools, wheels and tires).

The old Dodge was a rust bucket, but the damned thing had a great motor!
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Truck and Hauler stolen in Montreal

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 am

chaos4NH wrote:Oh yes, welcome to Montreal! Sometime between 430 and 830 PM on Wednesday, my truck and trailer were stolen out of the parking lot right in front of the Raddison Hotel. :shock: Damn! :evil: Should have stayed across the road at the Hilton. Now 423AM and I have just finished more Police reports.

Oh, the Little Red Wagon was NOT in the trailer!! The AC in the truck quit working, so I took the car off to drive locally to my job sites. Bet the thieves will be pissed to find the trailer empty (except for $$$ in tools, wheels and tires).

The old Dodge was a rust bucket, but the damned thing had a great motor!
That is a shame! I lived in Montreal for 19 years and it was considered to be one of the safest top cities to live in the world. BUT there were some spots in and out of Montreal where one would avoid parking cars there. Ruby Foos on Decarie, any hotel in Drummondville (which has access to many highways), arewas near Dorval Airport and Some spots near motels in Rue St Jacques.
Question is where were you parked?

chaos4NH

Post by chaos4NH » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:47 am

Stephan, I was in Laval, North of Montreal proper. The hotel is across from the Laval Carrefour, adjacent to Rte 15. Ste Martin Blvd area.
The brakes are shot on the Speed 3, so I am hoping the Mazda dealer a few blocks away can pop on new pads for the trip home. Also hoping the weather stays dry as the tires on the car are the track Hoosiers I ran!
I was treated very well by the local police. Do they always send pretty young female cops out to please the tourists? :D
Sam
Chief of Operations

#41 Nissan 200SX SER T40

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:02 am

chaos4NH wrote:Stephan, I was in Laval, North of Montreal proper. The hotel is across from the Laval Carrefour, adjacent to Rte 15. Ste Martin Blvd area.
The brakes are shot on the Speed 3, so I am hoping the Mazda dealer a few blocks away can pop on new pads for the trip home. Also hoping the weather stays dry as the tires on the car are the track Hoosiers I ran!
I was treated very well by the local police. Do they always send pretty young female cops out to please the tourists? :D

I am heading out tomorrow back to NH.
I will keep channel 2 on just in case. Call my cell if you need anything.

BrakeL8r
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by BrakeL8r » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:13 am

I had a bad experience in Montreal a few years back. My older two boys and I were coming back from Mosport, and we stayed overnight in Montreal. The next day we went to the amusement park (La Ronde?) and were there all day. When we returned to the parking lot, we found that our truck had been broken into, and the thieves had made off with my laptop and GPS (thus my navigation system), my video camera (with in car footage), my 35mm still camera (with track-side photos), and sadly their two Gameboys (and all the games of course).

The local police were comlpete dinks. At first, they pretended to speak no English, and I kept saying I didn't speak ANY French. Finally, and literally, after about 20 minutes of this, one of them started speaking in perfect English.

Upon reporting this to my insurance company and filling out a claim, I was asked by my local agent if I had an AC adapter for the laptop and video camera. I ignorantly was honest and said yes. They then proceded to deny the claim for them. They (along with most insurance companies) don't cover anything electirical. Arggggg. Why didn't my agent point this tip out ahead of time?

I now have a very bad taste in my mouth for Montreal (sorry Stefan) and probably won't go back there.
--Michael
ST4 Miata #176

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 am

Ouch, sorry to hear of your situation. Hope they find it all in proper condition.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

DanDarcy
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by DanDarcy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:00 am

Hi Sam -- sorry to hear about your truck and trailer being stolen :(
But think of the good side--- you can now practice all the way home with the Speed3 on the Hoosiers :lol: Rt.89 has some nice high speed corners :!:
Dan D'Arcy
Lotus Exige Cup Car #069 SU
Lotus Elise #310 SD
Chevron B64 Formula SU
http://www.allpowersales.com/

zip4zat
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by zip4zat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:07 am

Im really sorry to hear this Sam.

I have a friend that had his STi stolen right out of a "locked and gated" parking garage in a 4star hotel he was staying at in downtown montreal. This happened overnight, not even the alarm went off!
Joe Lu
#24 ST1 STi

ctkag
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by ctkag » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 am

Fortunately, you're not stranded there. It's going to be an inconvenience regardless of/if they find your truck & trailer - needing to make a trip back up. Sounds like you have work in the area that might make that part easier.

Good luck - hope they find it intact.
-Keith-

SPB116

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:50 am

Oh man, sorry to hear that Sam. That really sucks.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:57 pm

From what I understand, auto theft is a big problem in Montreal, and cars with US plates are "targeted". A friend had his brand-new truck stolen from a parking spot right in front of the hotel he was staying at. The valets "didn't see anything". From day 1, the police told him they'd never find it. 2 months later, he got his insurance check.

Sorry Sam, that sux. :cry:
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

Shawn624
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Shawn624 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear about that Sam.
Shawn Sweeney
97ish Miata #99
http://www.SweeneyLawGroupLLC.com

bstonkus
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by bstonkus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Sam - Sorry to hear about the loss, glad you still have the G/G. Stolen rigs are a problem up there. During snowmobile season in the Mt. Tremblant area it's a huge problem. Leave your (empty) side arm holster between the seats next time.

Brian S.
02' RS3 Mustang
#102 SPA

mr2sc
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by mr2sc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Darned shame, but to anyone who thinks crime including car theft is on the rise in Canada, have a look at this:

For 2005 year

“Declines in non-violent offences such as counterfeiting, break-ins and auto thefts accounted for most of the decline in the crime rate, which fell in every province and territory………Auto thefts dropped in every province and territory, except in Alberta where the rate remained relatively stable. Manitoba continued to have the highest rate of auto theft in the country.â€
Tommy
88 MR2 Mk1.5

deimos
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by deimos » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear this Sam.
Andrew
'91 Sentra with wicked cool tint