Lap Timers - what does everyone use?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
tgordon
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Lap Timers - what does everyone use?

Post by tgordon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:49 pm

My wife is looking for ideas for under the tree and I thought that a nice lap timer would be nice for a hacker like me. What are the options here and what do most folks use?

Thanks,

Tom

Mark Swinehart
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Mark Swinehart » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:05 pm

rajito
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by rajito » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Hot Lap might be popular, but it's a dinosaur. If I were to buy a system, I would get this instead:

http://thedynoshop.net/lap_timer.htm

Some of the other Subie guys have it, and they end up running faster times than I do because of it.

Raj
#66 SuperSlowGT
Silver 2004 Nissan 350Z

Dave_G
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Dave_G » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Here's a product I just recently heard about:

http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPS.htm

For $199 plus a Pocket PC (~$100 used on eBay, ~$150 if you want wireless), you get basic datalogger functions (including lap and segment times), i.e. lots more stuff than you get with the usual lap timer.

I haven't ever used one of these, or even seen one in action, but they certainly look interesting. I've already got the Pocket PC, and I'm planning to get one of these for next year. I'll be sure to report on it then.

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:55 pm

The Hot Lap is by far the most popular. Most don't even bother getting a transmitter, as there is bound to be at least one on the wall already. If you go Hotlap, get the one with the standard display. The mini-display is not much smaller and puts the power button in a hard to reach place (the receiver instead of the display).

The Ultra Lap looks cool and does have a nicer display. Not sure if it works off of the Hot Lap transmitter, so you may have to spring for one.

Note: If you do get a transmitter, put your name and phone number on it. Many get left on the wall at the end of the event, ask me how I know! :) I left my transmitter on the wall at Summit this year. Remembered it on the way home and called the track the next morning. They found the transmitter, called my number, and mailed it back to me - free of charge. :)
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

tmak26b
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by tmak26b » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:25 pm

I use the Ultra Hot Lap, no complaints with them. AIM beacon works with the Ultra Hot Lap, it doesnt work with the Hot Lap transmitter.

BillWhitney
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

AIM

Post by BillWhitney » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

After having used most of them and also owning a DL1, I bought one of these:

http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

Nice big clear display, memory and can be DC wired. Works great at night which was important to me ;)

Just be sure to order it with the extended cable, not the shorter motorcycle cable.

Bill

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Lap Timers - what does everyone use?

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:36 pm

Tom,

Lap times are a good start but i feel you really need more data to correlate lap times, if you really want to see where you are losing/.gaining time. Not mentioned here, and admit it is $1k, is the TraqMate system. For the money it is a very good value IMO and offers the ability to handle multiple inputs (tach, fluid pressure, throttle, steering angle, etc) given the easy wire in or associated sensors. It is a GPS-based system and find it quite useful when datamining, but of course not as nuts on pure accurate than, say, a Pi or pro system (that are more $$$$).

Guess it all depends how much data you really desire and the investment into acquiring data to see where you left time on the table.

Another benefit, if you are into video games or desire added visual aids, is that you can export the TraqMate data to TrackVision software and snyc a video file. This allows me to see that, maybe, i was slow a lap and wondered why and the video sync helps to see why (i.e. another car in front of me going slower). The video sync has also allowed me to see i tend to go faster when there is a car i am trying to catch/pass.

Here is a video of NHIS during an open track day where i was testing/tuning a few things. Note the logging of tach (wired from dash guage), brakes (wired off brake light switch), and traction circle (accellerometer included with TraqMate) and MPH (detected through TraqMate's built-in GPS). Not seen on the screen but logged are coolant temp (wired off dash guage) and oil pressure (wired off dash guage).

http://www.ferraritweaks.com/videos/nhis101906.wmv
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

Subw00er
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Subw00er » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:14 am

I really like my Ultra-Lap. Its a well designed and thought out unit. I've used it for two years trouble-free.

I cant say the same for my $1000 G2x Data Acquisition gear. Its a total PITA to use.

Generally someone has the Ultra-Lap beacon setup at COM events, but if you do want to use your own beacon, I recommend a seperate battery pack.

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:41 pm

There is always driversupply.com (not to worry I am not getting a cut in promoting them).
But one of the least expensive methods is Mike Campbell's "timer":
* Walkie talkie with an earplug and a stopwatch. Get your wife or one of your friends (or children) to relay it back to you... :lol:

TGoron12
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

That's not confusing!

Post by TGoron12 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:15 pm

I was interested in this post for the timing equipment ideas only to see the name of the person posting is TGordon! I'm thinking hmmmm I don't remember posting that, or posting anything in a while for that matter.

Looking closer I see I'm not crazy.
1993 Camaro Z28
#120 SSGT

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 am

Will the REAL T Gordon please come forward then! :lol:

tgordon
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by tgordon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:17 am

Here I am, now that I've been outed from the garage!

Tom Gordon

I'm a new member, joined last year and attended 3 NHIS and 1 LR days. I built a FFR Cobra, but only drive it on nice days, never on the track - too scared. I drive a Miata on the track, blue/green and stock. My kids say that Miatas are the slowest cars on the track and ask me why mine is the slowest Miata out there!

Still learning and having a blast. Never did get that lap timer from Santa, but did get a bunch of other cool stuff including an offroad adventure day from Overland Adventures!

enjoythemusic
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by enjoythemusic » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am

tgordon wrote:Here I am, now that I've been outed from the garage!
At least you have a garage... wife promised to get a garage here when we met... still no garage, but just got an enclosed trailer.

As for lap timers, again, for me a lap time means NOTHING unless i can see detailed data as to where i am gaining/losing time.
Enjoy the Track,

Steven R.
http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

gread
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by gread » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm

I am a guy who runs one of the more expensive data aquisition systems. It provides a valuable learning tool for getting faster, but I'm down to really looking at each 10th of a sec per segment time. Any gps based sytem is not going to give you that level of accuracy to take off the final seconds.
I think the most underused tool for improving your lap performance is the video camera. A simple laptimer combined with a video gives you the best results. I don't have to look a Steven's data results on the video to see where he is losing time. Most of the time is visible. Once those area's are fixed, getting data info starts to help. Chris Tier was the one who got me to be more precise and he was correct. In the end, time is lost in tenths of a sec. 1/10th of a second at each corner at NHIS is 1.1 seconds per lap. Small changes can make a significant lap time change. That means hitting the apex on the money everytime, 100 rpm difference before braking, etc. If you look at the pro F1 drivers, what makes them great is their robotic consistency which they run lap after lap. I certainly find that the most difficult part of trying to become a good driver.