Recommended truck to tow two car enclosed trailer

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
jvangelder
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Recommended truck to tow two car enclosed trailer

Post by jvangelder » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 am

In lieu of finding myself a new wife who doesn't like driving in a competitive environment, I find myself in the market for a bigger two car trailer and truck to pull it.

I currently have a 2014 Tundra SR5 and pull an 18ft enclosed which has worked flawlessly however im quite sure that any two car enclosed loaded up will far exceed what that truck can safely, legally etc pull.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand and size of truck that's not blatant overkill but also not on the edge of towing a two car enclosed circa 30ft-ish with two cars, gear for two people and possibly a small denomination of children. Im guessing 3/4 ton trucks are on the edge and I should just jump right into a 1ton however im open to any suggestions

Outside of towing a trailer, the truck would be used for occasional light open trailer household chores and homedepot / dump runs and some poor winter weather driving once I scrounge up money for a commuter car to use on a regular basis.

Im not looking for band new, however something new-er as Id like to think this is something I would have for a while.

Thanks
-Jacob

jeffw

Re: Recommended truck to tow two car enclosed trailer

Post by jeffw » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 pm

What 2 cars are you hoping to pull? What's their length and weight?

To get 2 cars in a shorter trailer, you'll likely need custom tie-down points since you won't have much room to work around the car.

What spares and other things do you want to bring? That'll help you understand what your payload will be. Payload + the trailer weight will give you an idea of the truck size you'll need.

Gooseneck or 5th wheel will tow a lot better, but a bumper pull will be ok.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

jvangelder
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by jvangelder » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Jeff,

One car is a 2005 STI, weights just under 2900 without me in the car, second car is un-decided though im going to guess 90's-early 2k coupe or sedan be it another Subaru or something of the BMW variety. Second car will have to have a semi useable back seat as it will occasionally be used to move a child or two for the next couple years to give an idea of weight, 3-3500lbs?, Quick google math says im going to need at minimum 30' assuming the cars are touching with no room to tie down at either end so im guessing 34' at minimum at this point

Spares if both cars are going somewhere would be tools and what ever consumables both cars need. Im not bringing spare engines and trans etc if both cars go places, if one car breaks we will both drive the other one. Any race efforts that require a large quantity of spares will be with a single car.

I'm indifferent of gooseneck or traditional receiver as for usage. Seems you get more storage with a gooseneck but pay a premium for it.

Thanks,
-Jacob

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am

I towed a double open trailer for a few seasons with a 2005 Duramax. The truck had no issue pulling it and it didn't feel much different from pulling a single. I never bothered with weight distribution bars as it never felt like it needed it.

For a double enclosed you'll want a 1 ton and ideally a diesel motor.

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SandyClam » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:31 pm

That's a good lookin' STI on that back of that trailer, Mick. Speaking of which, if you need a ride for Palmer, you're welcome to co-drive with me.

Mick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mick » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks for the offer Sandy. Unfortunately I can't make it

SquidInk
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SquidInk » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:06 pm

I tow an 8800lb trailer with a 215hp 1996 F250 diesel, nominally a 3/4 ton. The trailer has electric brakes, which is key.

It's not fast, but it's fine. It is 2WD, 3.55 rear gears, open diff. No rust. You don't want rotten brakes and frame members for this. It came from Arkansas. I may put a Eaton True Trac in it.

The truck is an extended cab, 8 foot bed. 21 feet long. This helps a lot. Except you have to be good at backing and turning.
1994 Toyota World Sports Racer with EFI retrofit running in SC.
No power, but no weight.

Holder of two ancient class lap records purely by luck and technicalities. :D