Racing Brain

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
JimsLS1
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Racing Brain

Post by JimsLS1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 am

Anyone have interesting stories of how your racing experience saved you on the street? I narrowly escaped a crunched bumper and embarrassment this morning in my E36 DD (no ASC) on an onramp (it looked dry?). I don't think I would have steered out of that spin so instinctively a few years ago. Racing brain ever helped you avoid a crash?
---------------
Jim McKenna

basil2000
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Racing Brain

Post by basil2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

My racing brain hasn’t saved me on the street but it does have me threshold braking on every off ramp. I have a company car and they are always surprised that i go through tires, brakes and wheel bearings so often. Thing takes a beating. My wife always says,”you think your so cool clipping apexes on the off ramp”. She refuses to ride in the vette with me. I am a child.
Ken channell
2019 zr1 #015

SandyClam
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by SandyClam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Ken, you must have had some pretty poor instruction to be such a hooligan! :lol:

JimsLS1
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Post by JimsLS1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Ken, thats probably because of the grip-induced nausea to which people riding shotgun in vettes seem to succumb. I think Lester gave me my license just to avoid riding with me again. :D
---------------
Jim McKenna

basil2000
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by basil2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:59 pm

That must be my problem. My instructors have been a little bit crazier than i. When i started i used to hear brake brake brake. Now i hear, don’t brake don’t brake. Jim. Glad to hear you escaped without hitting anything. It is amazing how driving on ther track improves your driving on the street.
Ken channell
2019 zr1 #015

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:27 am

I think the total situational awareness that you develop road racing helps you every time you turn the key. Then the instinctive panic less reaction to the issue makes your result better than most other drivers, The normal reaction is to freeze up for an instant or plant the brake, then react but in the road race car that is a sure trip to the wall...

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:59 am

I use to think I knew how to drive fast. Then I "discovered" on track driving. :shock:

You don't know what you don't know. I've stopped counting the many times my "new" skills have helped me both on and off track.

The mindset to anticipate is the biggest asset I have learned....and to keep learning is the other...:)
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 am

A couple months ago I was taking the off-ramp at the Palmer exit at my er... usual speed only to find an ever so faint icy glaze on the ramp, I didn't panic just calmly widened my turn radius and there was no problem....the next guy not so much.

I agree 100%, I too used to think I drove "fast" on the street and then you get on the track only to realize how foolish that notion was! Trying to explain it to people who never have been on track is impossible.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86

n1gzd
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by n1gzd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:03 pm

I think that I am much better at watching my mirrors than I was before I started driving on a track. There was one time in the past year when I remember having to react very quickly to a car that I saw in my mirror with my peripheral vision (cutting across many lanes - behaving erratically). It was a close call and I think that the outcome could have been worse if I was not very aware of my mirrors.

Also I think that I a less likely to get a speeding ticket now that before I started driving on the track (driving fast belongs on the track).

Rebecca

StephanAlfa
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by StephanAlfa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 am

I agree racing brain on street gives me a much better 360 deg and what is around us. I assess cars and drivers around me observe what they are doing (ex; whether they are paying attention or not) and apply required defensive driving or otherwise to steer clear of possible danger situations.
In case of emergency (ex: Panic braking ,etc.) while I have prevented a few situations, those non-racers next to me (ex: wife) is not very appreciative of the evasive maneuvers that saves our a..es :? :sunny:
Stephan de Pénasse - Classroom Instructor - http://www.comscc.org
2001 BMW 330i Sports Package (T-60 Class)

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am

Resurrecting this thread after a bit of a moment this morning. I've been taking the kids to daycare towing a small trailer behind a bike. It's a short ride, but I picked up a used road bike after a lifetime of riding mountain bikes - lower rolling resistance and much better power-to-weight, right? But I digress.

On the ride home there's a decreasing-radius right-hander at the bottom of the hill, turning off the road and onto a running/cycling path. So you carry good speed in, there's room on exit, and some grass run-off if you need it. Well today I picked up some wicked understeer just before the apex. In a car it wouldn't be much of a thing at all, but on two wheels it's a bit different. Thankfully the racing brain took over and quickly opened up the steering, keeping weight forward, the front tire gripped up again, and on we went. Three years ago I think that story ends quite differently.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TroyV » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 am

Graham, that's a good one.

I think in all this time the thing I have sort of developed is spotting other driver's behavior and having an ad hoc predictive model that runs in my head calculating all of the stupid shit they are about to do.

....especially the Camrys, CRVs and RAV4s
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

TunaNoCrust
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by TunaNoCrust » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 am

TroyV wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 am
....especially the Camrys, CRVs and RAV4s
I don't what it is with those three cars, but one of them was consistently my idiot of the day winner.
Chuck Comeau
#55 T50 2019 Toyota 86