Monty Wells / Gerry Rose / Ginetta

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
vmax
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Monty Wells / Gerry Rose / Ginetta

Post by vmax » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 pm

I just purchased a Ginetta G4 that was first owned by Gerry Rose, and later Monty Wells. Monty drove the car in C-Production and was NER SCCA co-champion in 1966 (I've attached a photo). I understand Monty was also active with COM.

I'm trying to piece together as much of the car's history as possible and I thought somebody in COM might have some leads.

Incidentally, can this car be run with COM?

Thank you,

Ed Valpey
Attachments
Bryar 1966.jpg
Bryar 1966.jpg (113.58 KiB) Viewed 3568 times

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Monty Wells / Gerry Rose / Ginetta

Post by brucesallen » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Monty was the COM chief instructor in the 80s. He was known for his safety lectures. Each of the very few instructors would take their 8 students to a corner (all would drive their cars) and climb to a platform where the instructor would point our flaws of the drivers. If you were lucky as a first-time student, you would get an instructor in the right seat for a lap or two during the first day. AND at Bryar we didn't need no stinkin' guard rails-- unless they are wooden.
Ed, of course the Ginetta can run. Just check our safety rules. Probably your belts and helmet will be out of date. You may want new tires. A couple more cylinders would help too.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

vmax
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by vmax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 am

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. The car needs a few things in addition to those you mentioned (additional cylinders aside) but I'll watch the COM schedule. Do you know of anybody who would have event results from the early 60s? The car didn't road race with the SCCA until 1966, but I understand that it was active with other clubs prior to that. Before buying the Ginetta Monty ran a 1957 Corvette, possibly with COM.

Thanks again,

Ed

offcamber09
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by offcamber09 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 am

Troy, our club President has spent countless hours scanning boxes and boxes of archival data into a digital platform. There has not been a decision as to how to make those files public- but, I believe, the intention is for that to be the case. I have had the opportunity to preview some of the files and they are fantastic. I will re-kindle this discussion with the powers that be.
-Scott
Scott Rosnick
#09 BMW 318ti-6

vmax
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post by vmax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Scott,

Thank you for the reply. Having spent many years as the archivist for the New England Region of the SCCA, I can fully appreciate the enormity of Troy's task. I'll look forward to hearing more.

Regards,

Ed

pgw73
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by pgw73 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 am

Monty was one of the nicest people I have ever known in my racing circles. He never had the Ginetta on track during the seventies when I was there. Sadly so. There should ample features on Monty and if memory serves, even a bit about the Ginetta in the archives. Paul Worcester