Passing of Bill McMahon

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Passing of Bill McMahon

Post by McMahonRacing » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Today we lost a great man ... Husband, Family Man, Sportsman & Racer ... He will be missed !!!!
One of brothers wrote this note and it fits to a tee:

Dad,
This picture came across my computer the other day, and it just struck me as something I wanted to share with you. My brothers and your grandchildren are all the sum of our parts, a big part of which is you. It is a crappy circumstance that we find ourselves in. Looking forward is so difficult and sad it is hard to do. Looking backward almost seems to easy. On the other hand, our options are limited, and when we do look back, there is just much to be grateful for.
As I run thru things, there is just so much I need to say Thank You for. I know I didn’t always make things easy growing up, but at least we can laugh about a lot of it now. If I tried to say Thank You for everything you taught or have given me and your grandkids, it would just end up a never-ending rambling mess. Once you get past a few specific things like righty tighty, lefty loosey or water seeks its own level, it’s already broken so you may as well try and fix it and the infamous Birds of a Feather flock together (see I always listen) you can get to a few more principle things that kind of make us McMahon’s. Hopefully, you can wrap your head around how important these lessons have been to me once I was able to wrap my head around them. It turns out you and mom did most of this so naturally, that the intended lesson may not have been as obvious as I required.
You taught us that whether it was a lawn mower, the color of a car, a wall, a relationship, a job or illness we are not required to accept it as it is. Even better we have the power to decide what it should be and how we will deal with it on our terms.
You didn’t necessarily teach us to lead, but you certainly made sure that we didn’t feel the need to follow. You taught us to be so confident and secure in ourselves and our decisions that by default people follow.
You taught us to compete and that doing was better than reading about it. Mistakes and failures are just part the program. It is what you do next that matters. Excuses and tears get you nowhere.

You taught us to fight (never on school property), for the ball, for the puck, for the keys so we could drive to get the pizza, for whatever we wanted. You taught us to respect ourselves and demand respect from others.
You let your son who may not have had a perfect track record for responsibility get his pilots license (I understand why you wouldn‘t fly with me). You have given me every opportunity to become who I am today. You have spent the last 15 or so years fighting cancer, fishing, racing, hunting but most importantly being a son, husband, grandfather and dad. You have impacted everyone who has ever known you. You have made your sons who they are. You have become an indelible part of your four grandchildren just as you are with your son’s. I am Thankful for every moment we have had.
Attachments
DIMG_0166.JPG
DIMG_0166.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3919.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

johngeorge
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper

Re: Passing of Bill McMahon

Post by johngeorge » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:19 am

Pat, so sorry for the loss of such a great man. He will be missed dearly by everyone. Thoughts are with you and your family.
NASA ST2 FFR #48, Street legal. http://www.johngeorgeracing.com

WillM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WillM » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Pat,

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. Thank you for sharing your brother's letter. I found the letter to be an inspiring, sweet, and awesome glimpse at the McMahon family patriarch. Bill was a cornerstone of the "Group 1" part of our paddock for many years. Though he fought through several medical hardships to keep coming back to us, he never let it show. A strong character and gentleman. I will miss him, many will.

Best to you and your family,

Will
96 Miata #72 SC
PRA 4 :sunny:

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

I will sorely miss the evenings at COM around the fire with other trailer overniters. BIll was always a fun personality.
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"

DAVID R
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by DAVID R » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pm

sorry to here about your dad pat. he was a good man. i'm going to miss talking to him at the track.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I remember the first time I "met" Wild Bill McMahon. I came up behind him in turn 4 at NHIS. He saw my Focus in his mirrors and stood on the throttle... Gone! :shock: After the session..I went looking for the Austin Healey rocket car. That thing was just too fast to be stock. At first he was a little standoff-ish..but once we got to talking hot rods...that's all it took.
I was amazed (and still am..) at his hand built Austin Healey and the quality. Only a true enthusiast would put that much devotion into a car.
And..He sure loved to drive fast! Many great stories over the years. He would stop by my shop while on his hunting trips out this way and we would swap lies for hrs.

Wild Bill McMahons spirit of can-do will always inspire me.

Save me a spot in the golden paddock..my friend.. :wink:

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

Mario Fallas
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by Mario Fallas » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 am

I'll never forget that smile
I'll never forget that smile
20161030_125231-600x800.jpg (136.98 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
I knew that I should not have logged on tonight, VERY sad news about Bill's passing , Bill was a huge inspiration to me I will miss him dearly, loved being on track with him , seeing him ride his bicycle around the paddock, the track stories, the competition between D'arcy and who gets to keep the trophy.i will miss that smile!
So sorry for your loss Pat

blazer178
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by blazer178 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Mark thanks for posting and yes he will be missed a lot.
I first meet him doing the NEHA hill climbs best wishes Pat and the rest of the family

Butch King

McMahonRacing
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by McMahonRacing » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Services for Bill:

SEP 28. 04:00 PM - 06:00 PM
Chiampa Funeral Home
5 Church Road
Shrewsbury, MA, US, 01545
info@chiampafh.com

https://www.chiampafuneralhome.com/obit ... Mcmahon-6/

There will be a gathering for all following at the Italian American Victory Club, 26 Dewey Rd. Shrews, MA at approx. 6:30.

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by Bobc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:35 am

God Speed Bill
now go find Laura and run some bad ass laps...
Bob