Harness Mounting

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Harness Mounting

Post by modifiede30 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

I've been struggling with the rule change recently that requires a minimum 5-point harness if the air bags have been removed and the seats are fixed-back. I have both fixed back and no air bags. I had intended to install 4-point ASM type harnesses since the car is street driven, and has a track roll-bar. I was working on getting the setup to include a petty bar that's removable - probably unrelated to the question but included it if it impacts a response. The car is currently setup to allow equal restraints and seats for instructors, and the petty bar would be removable. Typical retractable belts aren't feasible without air bags, and I'm really bummed to have to install 2 sets of belts to compete. Car is also convertible, so probably an all around troubled child of safety.

While looking through various options, I found one of the Sparco belts use carabiner clips to link into harness mounts. I've asked about purchasing their carabniners separately without much luck. They seem to be an ideal way to switch between 4 and 6 point belts. I've searched for other options that are similar and can't find any. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding easy clip-in options for 4-point belts?
1998 M Roadster - T70

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Harness Mounting

Post by TXBDan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am

Just keep your factory seat belts along with proper 6pt harnesses for the track. That's what i do in my E36 and have done in an E30. You can use E30 or E36 rear center receptacles.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Re: Harness Mounting

Post by modifiede30 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:58 am

I'd rather not use a standard belt in the car with no airbags. Seems like a bit of a risk. At this point, I'm probably just going to get some DOT legal 4 points for the road and attach them to the same spot as my race harnesses. Was just hoping to get by with 1 set of harnesses in the car. Given the frequency of events, I don't think that taking out the track harnesses between events will be much of a PIA.
1998 M Roadster - T70