Trailer Input

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
modifiede30
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Trailer Input

Post by modifiede30 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Curious about trailer capacities and variations between "utility" and "car" trailers. I've found a really nice looking utility trailer with a GVW up to 5k lbs, that weighs just under 1k lbs - so it could hold up to a 4k lb car. Having a car that is only 2700 without driver, it seems it would be more than enough to run around locally, yet the full weight would be light enough to eliminate the need to buy a new truck - I could use my existing SUV. What's the advantage of the car trailer over the utility trailer when both have the same payload capacity? I can put ramps on both, and they're otherwise the same size - seems the price is the main difference, so there must be something else.
1998 M Roadster - T70

Bobc
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: Trailer Input

Post by Bobc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 am

In my experience car type trailers come with steel or alum tread plate where the tires go and have tie downs on the thru the tread plate 4 locations. Utility trailers are mostly wood decked and do not have tie downs they tend to have loops on the outer edges and or use the outer rail to tie down the load.
Either will work it just may be a bit more setting up to load the car and get it tied down correctly.
Car type flip up tie downs should to be backed up with a welded to the frame work, plate of steel
(or alum if alum framed) when mounted thru the wood deck of a utility type trailer to properly secure the load.
That is my .02
Bob

imgon
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Trailer Input

Post by imgon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 am

I'll second what Bob said, car trailers usually are set up a little better to secure the car. A utility trailer may not have brakes which is important when hauling a heavy load. The other issue with a utility trailer may be the ability to open the door of the car. Typically utility trailers have a railing around the edges and you will have to climb through the window. With a utility trailer you will likely need to get a set of ramps made as the drop down ramp will be too steep for a car. Trailers have great resale value so if you think you will use it regularly get the nicest one you can afford and you'll likely get most of your money back if you decide to sell.
Chuck

'87 Mazda RX7
T-50