palmer

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

palmer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:40 pm

we will have a full day at palmer running it clockwise with SCDA on oct 17th .
the new safety is looking better and better for running it clockwise . needless to say i can't wait for that event . it's a hole other track running it clockwise .

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Re: palmer

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I had a chance to run it CW with the Atom recently and have to say...it's a whole nuther ballgame. I figure it's about 2-3 seconds slower with the same amount of laps/practice vs. CCW. 7-6-5 is intimidating and so is 2-1. Top speed on the front stretch (1 into 14) is a bit higher..but most of the other "straights" are slower. I like it! Running it "backwards" actually helped my CCW times....:P
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 am

i have run it cw in one run session before it was good . IMO it's not any better or worse just different .

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm

yesterday we had a full day of palmer in the clockwise direction . it's a blast ! i still feel it's not any more or less fun in either direction .
i run two sessions with my stock 93 miata and two in ( the wife's ) 2015 wrx sti the STI has a lot more torques so i could run a little different line like thru old turn 9 new turn 6 and old turn 7 new turn 8 .
old turn 8 you do not want to early apex at all ! you will run out of track real fast and there is just little to no run off room if you do .
old turn 5 coming down the hill now to get a good lap time you have to be very committed and trusting you will slow the car enough to make the turn in .
old turn 4 is off camber and a challenge but fun as hell .

they didn't have apex cones on track so as a instructor with my novice student i'm using other makers to have him do his turn in apex and track outs having to use both on track and off makers for this . once more clubs run it clock wise they will put cones on track to aid in instructing students .
imo and personally i don't like cones on track ! many people tend to rely on the cone more then makers on /off track . teaching a student to drive from one cone to the next IMO is not a good way to teach .