Upgrading Miata brakes

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
paulbishop146
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Upgrading Miata brakes

Post by paulbishop146 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi All,
New to the club. Did Palmer and already I know I want more. Signed up for the Glen. I'd like to upgrade the stock brakes in my 99 Miata. I want brakes, pads and rotors that can handle the hard use of track days and time trials, but will also work well for the street (car is my daily driver). Flying Miata has an upgrade kit I'm considering.

Also, the engine is out of my car (don't ask), so I'm going to upgrade the clutch assembly and get a lighter flywheel. Flying Miata has what they call a clutch/flywheel happy meal I'm considering.

Advice re either or both of the above (different parts, vendors, etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Paul

jeffw

Re: Upgrading Miata brakes

Post by jeffw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Stock calipers (freshened with new seals) are fine. As are NAPA's finest rotors.

You'll get your best bang for the buck with better pads and fluid. I like Carbotech's line of pads. xp10/xp8 (f/r) is a good starting point. If you are on hoosiers you could step up to xp12/xp10.

Don't waste your money on someone's idea of 'upgraded' calipers at this point.

All of the spec miata racers do just fine on stock gear, too.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

cfossum
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by cfossum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:49 am

Agreed. Pads only, everything else works very well already. You'll be shocked at the difference that race pads will make.

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 am

^ What they said..x3. I did the FM brake upgrade on my 04 Mazdaspeed Miata and went back to the stock setup within a year as they wanted Big money for replacement rotors and have very limited pad options. The added stopping power was minimal,if any. (plus,certain rims would no longer fit my car!) I run Carbotech XP12s all around on stock sport brakes,(with braided stainless steel brake hoses) as my car has abs so that compound works fine. The FM "happy meal" clutch kit got sent back as soon as it arrived, as it was all chinese components.For the same or less money, I went with a Fidanza flywheel and ACT ceramic puck clutch setup (all made USA) mainly because my HP/TQ level is beyond the stock setups ability to live long (about 240whp) The stock Miata (on normally aspirated models) clutch setup is pretty rugged, as well as the brakes.
As the track seat time accumulates, you will learn to use the brakes less and less: they only slow you down.. :lol:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

paulbishop146
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by paulbishop146 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Posted a reply earlier today, but I guess I forgot to hit submit. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's good to know when I don't have to buy the expensive stuff. Jeff, what do you think about a the stock clutch handling the rigors of time trialing and getting a light weight flywheel? Thanks again.
Paul

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

My transmission re-builder (of which i'm a too-frequent customer) suggests the stock clutch if you can get away with it as you want it to absorb any driveline shocks rather than your transmission.

At a minimum he says you want a sprung hub clutch to help in that. He recommend "puck" clutches for their oil resistance.

So, stock with a lightened flywheel would be ideal.
Jeff Wasilko
On the Track: 1995 Miata #08
To the Track: 2007 Volvo 780
On the Street: 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar

paulbishop146
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by paulbishop146 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks Jeff. Does a stock clutch come with the springs you mentioned?

ED9man
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer

Post by ED9man » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am

paulbishop146 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am
Thanks Jeff. Does a stock clutch come with the springs you mentioned?
Stock clutches have sprung hubs

paulbishop146
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by paulbishop146 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks Mikhael!

6PAK72
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 6PAK72 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 am

I would put on the list a set of stainless steel brake lines - you will be amazed at the improvement in pedal response.

Buy ONLY Goodrich lines (available from the Mazda Competition parts depot) - NOTHING else. Ask me why sometime...
Jeff Baker
Wilton, NH
#42 95 Miata
72 TR6
79 TR7 V6 in shed