Advice on cell phone mounts?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Advice on cell phone mounts?

Post by gcranston » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:14 am

Looking for a temporary (i.e. removable) mount for my cell phone to run Harry's keep timer (or race chrono, etc.). Ideally, this would be a suction cup mount on the windshield or install a plate in the dash to the left of the instrument cluster and mount to that. Any suggestions? Is RAM pretty much the way to go? How's the stability if I wanted to capture video as well? Any COM'ers out there using this with the X-mount: http://www.rammount.com/brand/samsung/g ... y-6-7-edge

I have a similar mount I use in my wife's car to use the phone as gps on road trips but tech inspection deemed it "not sturdy enough" and rightly so. The issue was the suction cup at the windshield. Way too flexible.

Appreciate any advice you can offer. Yes I know AIM solo DS and a go pro mounted to a roll bar in the back seat is much better, but unless you've got a second one you feel like selling I'd rather put the money in seat time than data acquisition just now.

Thanks!
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

TXBDan
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Re: Advice on cell phone mounts?

Post by TXBDan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 am

I'm not sure i like the universal Xgrip style, but i haven't tried it. It doesn't seem as secure as mount that's custom fit to the phone.

I've used a suction cup RAM mount with an iphone Form-Fit mounts like this:
http://www.rammount.com/brand/apple/iph ... Fit#browse

They worked great, very secure. I still have the form-fit mounts for an iPhone 5S and for an iPhone 6 Plus if anyone wants them.
Dan Durusky
Mazda RX8

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 am

Be careful about cell phone use mounted on the windshield. It's very convenient..but on a hot sunny day,you can damage your cell phone,IF you leave it in the holder too long. The phone will go into overheat "I hate you" mode. This happened to me. Even after cooling back down (took about 3hrs)...the phone has never been the same. As much as I love Harrys lap timer..I went to the Solo.
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter

Post by gcranston » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks all. My current plan is to get the RAM suction cup and adapt my gel mount onto the RAM diamond plate (bolt, epoxy, 3D print, whatever). If I have to I'll 3D print a custom snap on case for my Galaxy S6 and bolt that to the RAM diamond plate for a positive mechanical attachment.

Just have to remember to take the phone off the mount after each session!
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86

brucesallen
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by brucesallen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:47 am

RAM
Bruce Allen
The Greased Shadow
"It's all about the fast lap"