Whiskey Hill clockwise

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
cmm3
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Re: Whiskey Hill clockwise

Post by cmm3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Personal safety starts with the operator. It is your responsibility to drive under control and accept whatever happens.That is why you sign a waiver. It's like skiing. They label the trails to help..but in the end, if you ski down the double diamond slope and get hurt..it is your mistake. Is that really so hard to understand?
I was there the day you wrecked..and the weather conditions were treacherous. Blaming the track for your misfortune is not being responsible.
Good analogy, I also ski and have skied my whole life both at lift serviced and back county. I know the risk associated with the sport same as I do with driving at any track. And I'm not blaming the track for my misfortune. At the same time if a ski area or track through the negligence of doing something that increases the risk to those using it for no reason then that is when I have an issue.

No matter how you try to spin it loose objects of any kind don't belong on a race track. If you came around a corner and found a tire in your windshield because someone had hit a pile ..you would be singing a different tune.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm

fact be told .
if the track was as safe as all the other track out there then why are they adding more tire walls ? why did they pave turns 1 and 7 ( i think it is ) up to the walls ?
Fred emailed me and said they are working on adding more safety ! if it is as safe as every other track then why is palmer doing that ?
if you put the i love palmer blinders on and think every thing is perfect at WH then just take the blinders off .
palmer is a fun ass track to drive i'm headed back in a few weeks and can't wait to go . if i screw up on track and something happens then my fault .
it's the same as say you didn't install a carter pin in your control arm and the nut back off and you lost your steering into turn 3 at NHMS . that's not the tracks fault it's on the driver .
addressing lose tires is some the track has to do . we all know why they are lose and we all know full well that a track being made safe for bikes doesn't make it safe for cars . again you have to take the blinders off !
when i was racing bikes many tracks used hay bales not tires . the reason is they are softer they also don't roll ( to easy ) the 3rd reason is they are easy to move .
we all know palmer is a work in progress !
with that being said they are working on things ( this i stated as you can see stacks and stacks of more tires ready to be installed )
skiing and motorsports ????? not an apples to apples thing !
with skiing do you have a tire wall to deal with ?
i don't know about you but if someone rolled tires out in front of me when i'm skiing i would be pissed too !

cmm3
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver

Post by cmm3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Given the vertical layout of WH it wouldn't be too far fetched that a loose tire could get launched at a high point on the track over a Jersey barrier and land on top of a car on a lower portion of the track, Now wouldn't that be special.

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 am

you can't think of what could happen with things like that ! the chance is pretty slim it could .
WH is work hard to make the track as safe as it can be . the tire wall thing is a problem they know all about . we have to understand that making a track safe for bikes doesn't make it safe for cars . labor wise to remove the lose tire wall to run cars to put it back up again for bikes really isn't a good option .
it's many many hours to remove and reinstall the walls to go from a bike track to a car track it's just not an option at all .
the thing is thinking of a way to do it quickly or to devise a way to have a tire wall do double duty safe for cars and bikers .
the thing is designing some thing to pull double duty and to have it cost effective . this is some thing i was thinking and working on last night as to materials and design . not for the track it's self but just because i like engineering and designing things .
it has to soft enough to soak up the impact for a human body at speed and yet stay together if a car gets into it or be quickly movable in order to move it out of the way for cars .
this is a concept that really intrigues me as there are so many tracks that need something like this . just look at why NHMS no longer has AMA pro events there .

breakaway500
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by breakaway500 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

"If you came around a corner and found a tire in your windshield because someone had hit a pile ..you would be singing a different tune."

Nope! I don't have a windshield. Ha!

I signed a waiver..and accept full responsibility for what does or does not happen to me while using any facility. Period.

If you don't like the risk of doing something..don't do it. Many others will climb those mountains, with joy!
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. "Lap times matter"

962porsche
Speed Racer
Speed Racer

Post by 962porsche » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 am

yes we all sign a waver and we all know all to well what can happen . it's kind of a pointless point though ! we all know just how safe rolling tires truly are LOL so the waver is your fix ???? LMAO really NO REALLY ?????

i have been working on a safety fence idea i have . so far in the design program it's working good . the problem is to find a bungee cord material that doesn't have as much elasticity to them .it needs to give then return slowly a weight and pulley system may do it also ??? the soft netting was easy to find and the tensile strength is more then enough to stop a rider and bike at a very high rate of speed . i ordered a 5' x 5' piece fedex should be dropping it off today .